Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 10 Ultimate

D610 : Automatic exposure


modernist 13 43 United Kingdom
12 May 2020 11:59AM
Hello, I have changed my camera. The previous one was canon. Now I am struggling with the Nikon D610. It's setting is not user friendly. As example In canon I could set a mode where If I change the shutter the aperture changes automatically and gives a perfect exposure which we call Shutter priority. But in This nikon photographs are not getting perfect exposure.

I want to know how can I use shutter priority, aperture priority and complete automatic perfect exposure?
I didn't find any video tutorial on youtube for this.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

franken Plus
17 5.1k 4 United Kingdom
12 May 2020 12:24PM
What ISO are you using? If you've set a fast shutter speed and a low ISO then the exposure could suffer.
Jestertheclown 11 8.2k 253 England
12 May 2020 1:52PM

Quote:which we call Shutter priority.

That's what we call it too.

As Franken says, if your desired exposure time is so short that the aperture needs to be wider than its widest setting and a low ISO is selected, the images will be underexposed.

Instead of using shutter priority, try using aperture priority with the ISO set to 100 and use whatever aperture matches a reasonable exposure time and see how the exposure looks in the resulting image.
If it's OK, then you know where the problem lay.

The theory behind it all is exactly the same whatever brand you're ysing.




mrswoolybill Plus
13 2.1k 2236 United Kingdom
12 May 2020 2:31PM
As above. I'm a Nikon user, and Shutter priority is my default setting because in normal times I am mainly photographing people in action. Choose your shutter speed, see what aperture it gives you, adjust ISO if necessary to get the aperture that you want. Remember exposure compensation in tricky light.


Quote:The previous one was canon. Now I am struggling with the Nikon D610. It's setting is not user friendly.

The explanation is that both manufacturers keep a fairly consistent pattern for their knobs and dials. So you become used to your own brand, moving to another is an uncomfortable jolt. I have been using Nikons, film and digital, for nearly fifty years and moving from one model to the next is a doddle. Whereas Canons feel really weird and un-user-friendly. It's just a matter of what we are used to.
modernist 13 43 United Kingdom
12 May 2020 2:51PM

Quote:As above. I'm a Nikon user, and Shutter priority is my default setting because in normal times I am mainly photographing people in action. Choose your shutter speed, see what aperture it gives you, adjust ISO if necessary to get the aperture that you want. Remember exposure compensation in tricky light.


Quote:The previous one was canon. Now I am struggling with the Nikon D610. It's setting is not user friendly.

The explanation is that both manufacturers keep a fairly consistent pattern for their knobs and dials. So you become used to your own brand, moving to another is an uncomfortable jolt. I have been using Nikons, film and digital, for nearly fifty years and moving from one model to the next is a doddle. Whereas Canons feel really weird and un-user-friendly. It's just a matter of what we are used to.




Thanks for your reply. As you are aNikon user can you please show me a tutorial link where I can understand every sign of the diameter ? What is S, q, c etc in the bottom diameter? What is scene and u1 u2 ? Why should I set default ISO? The camera should set shutter, aperture and ISO automatically in auto mode like the canon camera.
saltireblue Plus
10 10.8k 62 Norway
12 May 2020 3:20PM

Quote:What is S, q, c etc in the bottom diameter? What is scene and u1 u2 ?

Why don't you download the user manual? That explains what all the knobs and buttons are...Smile
(And the bells and whistles, if installedWink)
modernist 13 43 United Kingdom
12 May 2020 3:36PM

Quote:
Quote:What is S, q, c etc in the bottom diameter? What is scene and u1 u2 ?

Why don't you download the user manual? That explains what all the knobs and buttons are...Smile
(And the bells and whistles, if installedWink)



I have the printed manual but itís so boring.
Jestertheclown 11 8.2k 253 England
12 May 2020 5:28PM

Quote:I have the printed manual but itís so boring

I keep mine as Pdfs. and simply refer to them (very occasionally) on the computer.
As for it being boring; that will depend upon how desperate you are to learn to use your new camera.
Instead of ploughing through it from end to end, just look up the bits that you don't understand.
The ones you've listed above, for example.
saltireblue Plus
10 10.8k 62 Norway
12 May 2020 5:47PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:What is S, q, c etc in the bottom diameter? What is scene and u1 u2 ?

Why don't you download the user manual? That explains what all the knobs and buttons are...Smile
(And the bells and whistles, if installedWink)



I have the printed manual but it’s so boring.


Well, sorry, but can't help you any more then...I don't have a cure for your boredom.
Do as Jester says and read the relevant bits...
12 May 2020 6:24PM
A little bit of self-help wouldn’t go amiss...type Nikon D610 into youtube...you’ll get a whole load of videos...including the usual “unpacking” types..but some instructional clips about features and usage...
Also Google search - Nikon D610 - yet more reviews, how to use etc...
I’ve tried it, it works.....Tongue
12 May 2020 6:39PM

Quote:I want to know how can I use shutter priority, aperture priority and complete automatic perfect exposure


....and surely this is the stuff for beginners..? but, again, youtube can help...

So far, comments above have tried to be kind and helpful....but if youíre ďboredĒ reading an operating manual what more can we offer...
mrswoolybill Plus
13 2.1k 2236 United Kingdom
12 May 2020 9:23PM
The standard procedure with any new camera is to open the manual at the page that shows diagrams of the camera body, with the various buttons and dials numbered and identified. Compare that with your new camera, familiarise yourself first with the functions you are going to use most often, then look up the details in the manual if you need further information.

Shutter priority, aperture priority and manual will be on the mode dial. Look up the section in the manual for that control, read up the possibilities.

You say that you are having problems with exposure. If your ISO setting is OK, check that you haven't accidentally set an exposure compensation, that's usually the explanation!
andybebbs 12 603 1 England
13 May 2020 9:01AM
my god if you buy a camera at least read the manual to see how the camera works to say its boring surprises me really, ask questions yes but you need to do some work yourself.
good luck
Andy
justin c 16 5.1k 36 England
13 May 2020 11:56AM


Quote:I have the printed manual but itís so boring.


I've heard it all now.

People are only too happy to help, but just sometimes you have to put in just that little bit of effort yourself 🙄🙄

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.