Save 10% On Used Camera Equipment & Lenses From CameraWorld! Use ePHOTO at checkout.

d70s macro lens

sunshot 14 24 United Kingdom
6 Sep 2006 10:19AM
i have a d70s and i'm thinking of buying a macro lens to shoot close up's.( insects / flowers ) can someone please advice as to what make / sort of lens that i should be looking at. should i stay with nikon ? or look at another make. all comment will be very welcome.
not a huge budget, about £150.
thanks marc.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Mayfly 13 485 2 United Kingdom
6 Sep 2006 10:45AM
Marc,
There have been quite a few threads on this subject lately. If you search the forum threads youll find lots of advise no probs. We are pretty spoilt for chioce as far as macro lenses go, I am currently looking at the purchase of a Macro lens for my D50. For me it comes down to the Sigma 105mm Ex and the Tamron 90mm SP DI. I will probably opt for the tamron as it will give me a good portrait lens too (the Sigma will be just on the long side)

If you are more likely to do Plants and Insects you may find it better to go for a longer focal length to give you a better working distance - something like the Sigma 150mm f2.8 is a corker of a lens.

Cheers,

Andy.
mshepherd 15 667 United Kingdom
6 Sep 2006 11:02AM
If you are happy to go second hand keep an eye on ebay the 90mm Tamron often sells around your budget (Not (usually!) the latest Di version though), The 105mm Sigmas look to go for slightly more looking at recent sales

You could also look at a second hand 60mm Nikon Macro for around the same price if you want Nikon glass, but this may not be as good for small subjects (insects etc) as you will need to get slightly closer to your subjects (Having said that if this is a main priority keep saving for a longer more expensive macro!) The 60mm is also a good general purpose lens to substitute a 50mm prime if you donít have one
6 Sep 2006 11:13AM

Quote: The 60mm is also a good general purpose lens to substitute a 50mm prime if you donít have one

Not ona D70 its not.....
mshepherd 15 667 United Kingdom
6 Sep 2006 11:59AM

Quote:The 60mm is also a good general purpose lens to substitute a 50mm prime if you donít have one

Mayfly, I think you are being a bit picky, I could rewrite the above to state the obvious, a 50mm prime is a great prime lens to have in your kit bag regardless of crop factor that the camera adds, the 60mm is a good substitute if you donít already own one and want a short macro lens
6 Sep 2006 12:07PM
I'm not being picky and I'm certainly not trying to annoy anyone by making that statement. The 60mm will make a good portrait lens but as for a general purpose lens (IMO) I'd rather use the zoom I (and probably Marc) already own.

Andy.
sunshot 14 24 United Kingdom
7 Sep 2006 8:45AM
thank you all kindly, i'v just looked on e-bay and think i'v found what i'm looking for.

marc.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.