D80 and Elements 4

blackbird 13 159 15 United Kingdom
17 Jul 2007 8:48AM
I hope someone can help with this problem...
I bought a new camera at the weekend - a nikon d80,
I have downloaded the plug-in so that elements 4 can now read the RAW images from teh D80.
When I try to download the images only the first 22 are visible, all the rest have greyed out images of a torn picture.
Initially i thought I had a problem with a corrupt SD card, but I have now tried again with another card, and again with another card reader, and it is only the first 22 images that are available each time.
Can anyone shed any light on this please, is it a software issue, or a camera problem
thank you Merille

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

strawman 16 22.1k 16 United Kingdom
17 Jul 2007 10:24AM
My advice is not to use Elements 4 to download images. Instead use windows explorer to open the memory card folder and copy the files to a space on your hard disk yourself.

If the files you have then loaded can be edited ok in Elements then it is probably a software issue, perhaps related to its interface with your card reader etc.

Or you could try downloading a C1 LE trial, it comes with a card downloader program that works well and I think it is a better RAW editor, but it does cost a bit more (it was free with some Sandisk cards a while back.) Adobe Lightroom is also an alternative but it is significantly over priced and is very processor intensive so depending on your machine it may be ok or a pain.
17 Jul 2007 11:11AM
Strawman, thank you for your reply,
why do you advise against using elements photodownloader, please explain.
The files that had downloaded ok were normally editable, the oddity was that it was always only the first 22 that I could access.
Does this indicate that i have some sort of memory problem with my computer and it filled up after that amount of data. I'm thinking that maybe the bigger file sizes from a D80 instead of a D50 have prompted this, what does anyone else think?
Merille
strawman 16 22.1k 16 United Kingdom
17 Jul 2007 11:34AM
To explain.

I would copy the files using windows explorer as it gives you a different way of getting the files onto the computer. If those files are all ok, then it is the download software inside elements that has the problem.

If there is still a problem, then open a new folder in your hard disk and then try transferring the images 20 at a time. This should allow you to tell if your PC is having a problem transferring a lot of images or if the camera has a problem storing the images on the card. If moving them 20 at a time solves the problem, then it sounds like the PC has a problem. Check for latest USB drivers and windows patches.

If files after the 22nd always have a problem then it sounds like the camera has a problem writing to the card. I would try formatting the card in camera to see if that solves the problem. If not then I would take the camera and card to your dealer and seak advice.

to be honest I would expect an elements problem.
17 Jul 2007 11:42AM
Strawman,
thank you very much for your patience, your explanations make sense and I will try these things tonight at home
I should probably do some work now Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.