The Totally Tamron Website Is Back! Visit Today For All Things Tamron

D80 not focussing when shutter pressed half way.

hobee100 12 9 Scotland
17 Nov 2009 1:57PM
Hi wondering if anyone can help?

I have a D80 which struggles badly focusing when the shutter button is pressed half way (both normal shutter and on battery grip)

I took the camera to a Nikon approved repair shop. They kept it for weeks then when I needed it back simply said "we cannot replicate the problem" ... "have it back" They guy looked totally uninterested dealing with the D80 :-(

Anyway, last night I was trying loads of different setting to see if it's something I inadvertently changed and have come up with something.

I selected the AE-L AF-L button on the back to focus. When I press this button to focus the camera works perfect focussing in an instant, compared to doing nothing when I press the release button half way.

Has anyone heard of this before or if they have a solution?

The main Nikon repair is 80miles from where I live and don't really want to go back after the last experience. I am trying to find a someplace closer to home (Dundee)

Thanks

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

jken 13 1.7k 1 United Kingdom
17 Nov 2009 2:16PM
Sounds like you might have turned the AE-L AF-L lock button on with your custom functions, check your manual and see what it says about custom functions and if need be turn it off to see if the camera focuses normally.
hobee100 12 9 Scotland
17 Nov 2009 2:46PM
Hi

Thanks for the reply. I have reset all settings and went through every AE-L AF-L setting too and am confident that I don't have it a custom setting overriding the main button.

When I press the button half way all it does is make a slight humming noise but no attempt to focus. When I set the AE-L AF-L to focus and press that, the focus locks straight away!

I've spent hours on Google looking for a solution. To be honest the man initially said the focus system needed to be recalibrated (at a cost of £150) but that doesn't explain why it focuses perfect using the AF button on the back. After that they said have the camera back as we couldnít replicate the problem Ö. Erm the camera doesnít focus using the shutter release button, it wasnít really that difficult to replicate the problem. (Itís the same on 4 lens I own so assume it would be the same with any lens they tested it with)
jken 13 1.7k 1 United Kingdom
17 Nov 2009 3:21PM
Okay you've just asked my next question, i was going to say that the lens contacts might need cleaning.

How old is it? is it still under warranty? a contact direct to Nikon might get you sorted if still in warranty.
User_Removed 16 17.9k 8 Norway
17 Nov 2009 3:52PM
Nikon UK's Customer Support team are on 0330 123 0932 9am-5pm Monday to Friday...
hobee100 12 9 Scotland
17 Nov 2009 4:00PM
Hi thanks for all replies.

The camera is out of warranty now. Will phone this number this afternoon first but if I can't resolve the problem I have just downloaded a form to send the camera to a place in London (Fixation) which I got off Nikon web site.

Thanks again.
discreetphoton Plus
15 3.5k 20 United Kingdom
17 Nov 2009 4:03PM
My cameras are set up to operate AF from a seperate button, and it confuses everybody who ever tries to use them.
Setting custom option 18 in the pencil menu to "AF on" replicates your problem. It won't clear as long as this option is active. Make sure this is changed to "AE lock only". If this doesn't clear it, make sure that your firmware is up to date. If not, upgrade it and see if that helps.
Might also be worth repeating the process with the grip removed. My grip sometimes causes misfires. Cleaning the contacts and checking the threads sometimes helps. Hard to offer anything else without having a look.
hobee100 12 9 Scotland
17 Nov 2009 4:07PM

Quote:Setting custom option 18 in the pencil menu to "AF on" replicates your problem. Make sure this is changed to "AE lock only". If this doesn't clear it, make sure that your firmware is up to date.

Cheers, I am not home until about 10pm tonight. I will try this and let you know. Thanks
discreetphoton Plus
15 3.5k 20 United Kingdom
19 Nov 2009 10:47PM
Did it work?
hobee100 12 9 Scotland
21 Nov 2009 9:28PM
Sorry for the late reply.

Have been busy all week and not much time to play with the camera (Drain blocked and mouse from field at back of house managed to get in)

I have quickly reset 'option 18'. This has helped, it's still slow focussing though compared to another D80 I have been able to borrow. Hoping tomorrow to check the firmware and clean all connectors etc.

Anyway Nikon emailed me on Friday and as I've registered with them for a couple years now if I buy a D300s before end of January 2010 they will give me a free SB900! I'm currently trying to convince Santa that some money towards one is a good idea! On ebay it looks like I could get £500 for D80 & SB800 to go towards it!

Thanks for your help.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.