Get 50% off Adobe CC Photography plan with any X-Rite ColorChecker Photo product!

D810 depth of field preview button

Tandberg 16 1.2k 2 England
14 Dec 2016 12:13PM
I own a D810, it has so many menu's and stuff. But i'm at a loss as to the depth of field preview button when i press it no change at all with the aperture. And i have searched all over trying to find an answer to what or why it aint working. Do i need to change something in the menu or what,the canon was never an issue it just worked when pressed. Both my D810's are the same.
Its doin my head in

D

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed 5 328 United Kingdom
14 Dec 2016 1:23PM
if memory serves it's menu item F5 - assign preview button - set to preview and you should be good to go....
shagnasty 13 49
14 Dec 2016 3:10PM
Look in the manual - page 117

Hope this helps

Pat
14 Dec 2016 6:00PM

Quote:if memory serves it's menu item F5 - assign preview button - set to preview and you should be good to go....

thats the one but there is no preview option showing at all,
14 Dec 2016 6:03PM

Quote:Look in the manual - page 117

Hope this helps

Pat

nah fella thats just how to use it
Ross_D 6 841 1 United Kingdom
14 Dec 2016 6:51PM
Must confess I don't have a Nikon D810 but I remember having a similar problem with a Canon 600D some time ago. Basically the camera has to be in Aperture priority or Manual mode. Also,if the lens is set at it's widest aperture then you won't notice any difference. Whether that's the solution for you I don't know but worth checking.
14 Dec 2016 8:34PM

Quote:Must confess I don't have a Nikon D810 but I remember having a similar problem with a Canon 600D some time ago. Basically the camera has to be in Aperture priority or Manual mode. Also,if the lens is set at it's widest aperture then you won't notice any difference. Whether that's the solution for you I don't know but worth checking.

Thanks,but no its not the issue,its some menu thing somewhere.
LenShepherd 12 4.1k United Kingdom
15 Dec 2016 9:24AM
Using page 117 of the manual as already advised.
Obviously the lens has to be set at less than wide open for the depth of field preview to do anything.
In normal use when pressing the Pv button there is a quiet tick with most lenses as the aperture is mechanically stopped down by the camera to the selected aperture with the screen darkening as it shows the dof effect.
With a recent E lens the operation is quieter as the stop down is electronic.
Using the custom menus f5 you can set the Pv to do other things.
If you have done this go to f5 and select preview.
Back to the D810 manual page 13 illustrates the Pv button as item 3, and below lists all the pages in the manual relevant to using Pv.
15 Dec 2016 9:40AM

Quote:Using page 117 of the manual as already advised.
Obviously the lens has to be set at less than wide open for the depth of field preview to do anything.
In normal use when pressing the Pv button there is a quiet tick with most lenses as the aperture is mechanically stopped down by the camera to the selected aperture with the screen darkening as it shows the dof effect.
With a recent E lens the operation is quieter as the stop down is electronic.
Using the custom menus f5 you can set the Pv to do other things.
If you have done this go to f5 and select preview.
Back to the D810 manual page 13 illustrates the Pv button as item 3, and below lists all the pages in the manual relevant to using Pv.

Wink
There is no preview option listed in the F5 menu at all
15 Dec 2016 10:09AM
solved,thanks for input Wink
15 Dec 2016 10:55AM

Quote:its some menu thing somewhere.

LOL..........I see what you mean.......... out of curiousity I looked at the D810 manual on line .. .. 500 + pages !!!
15 Dec 2016 4:24PM

Quote:
There is no preview option listed in the F5 menu at all

Menu f5 is to "Assign preview button" - with a right arrow indication.
On doing this the first option is Preview.
There are 6 other options which over-ride preview.
15 Dec 2016 4:28PM

Quote:
LOL..........I see what you mean.......... out of curiousity I looked at the D810 manual on line .. .. 500 + pages !!!

Yes - but - as I mentioned earlier page 3 (an illustration of each button) directs you to the much smaller number of 4 pages relevant to the Pv button.
16 Dec 2016 1:02PM

Quote:Yes - but - as I mentioned earlier page 3

I was merely making a point about the complexity of modern DSLRs and their menus............in fact all digital cameras. Even a modest compact has so many features it's sometimes difficult to find and modify a particular setting..even with the help of the user guide. (well at least for me anyway !) Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.