Want to sell your photos? Get Started!

D810 f5 botton asterisk

HELP! My pv button no longer gives me the DoV preview. When I go into the menu I have an asterisk above the f5. Is this normal? I can't get the DoV back...

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

LenShepherd 11 3.9k United Kingdom
29 Apr 2019 8:06AM
The asterisk means you have set the camera so that the Pv button does something other than dof preview.
To resolve
1/ go to custom function f5 assign preview
2/ right click the Nintendo button twice on the back of the camera to bring up the sub menu
3/ in the sub menu select preview at the top of the list
4/ press OK and dof preview is reinstated.
Thanks. I tried that and it doesn't have 'preview' at the top. All I have is the option for 'playback' or 'none'. OR. Pre + command - which does nothing! fx, shutter spd/aperture, 1 step spd, choose non CPU, D lighting, Exposure delay or none.
I have a 24-70 2.8 lens on the body.
29 Apr 2019 7:06PM

Quote:Thanks. I tried that and it doesn't have 'preview' at the top. All I have is the option for 'playback' or 'none'. OR. Pre + command - which does nothing! fx,

You are missing the last step.
You seem to have playback selected to replace dof preview.
With the camera set for photographs (not video) when you get the 2 menu options you mention, make sure the top one is highlighted, right click on the Nintendo button and the sub menu with 7 options, including Preview, comes up.
Select Preview, press OK, dof preview works, and the asterisk disappears
Hi, and thanks again, I tried that and it just brings up 'PLAYBACK' and not preview. It is set to the camera and not video.
It all started when I put my Hoodman viewer over the screen and I seem to have pressed something.
The DoF would be nice to have back, but as my most used lens is my 24PC-E, I can stop this down on the lens itself. Also, with how long it takes to set this lens, I use Liveview and check at 100% to ensure sharpness throughout...
I do miss my DoF though...
HELP????
30 Apr 2019 7:04PM

Quote:Hi, and thanks again, I tried that and it just brings up 'PLAYBACK' and not preview. It is set to the camera and not video.
HELP????

Sorry - I cannot help you any further.
You are still not bringing up the sub menu Sad
Until you do this you cannot reset to preview
If you have a free account with Nikon UK you can ask them to either email a similar explanation to how to bring up the sub menu or maybe even explain to you on the phone how to bring up the sub menu.
Hi. Thanks for getting back and for your help. It is probably down to me, but it just won't bring up the sub menu you mention. It just goes straight back to the main display screen.
As mentioned, it all started when I placed a Hoodman over the screen. It may have pressed some buttons that I didn't know were being pressed. It's not the end of the world, and I also have the Fn button doing the same thing.
Thanks again, and I may just live with it, or I may contact Nikon UK.
Happy shooting.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.