The Totally Tamron Website Is Back! Visit Today For All Things Tamron

D850 & Nissin i60A/Air 10s - NAS

13 Dec 2019 6:52PM
Hello -
I am trying to use Nissin i60A/Nissin Air 10s on Nikon D850. When I try and use the flash mounted on D850, the flash control menu is disabled. Both Nissin i60A and Air 10s NAS systems have latest firmware and so does my Nikon D850. Has any one here tried to use a Nissin Flashgun with D850. How do I get to use the flash with D850? I have tried almost all options that I can think of. Please can some one help?
-S

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

13 Dec 2019 8:41PM
I personally don't have the nissin model, however can you confirm they are the Nikon ttl version as there are versions of that flash, controller for all types of camera?
for example Wex have 8 versions...

is there a master reset on the nissin controller?

and my next question is does the flashgun work on the body, or is it just the controller?

13 Dec 2019 9:04PM
I can confirm its the Nikon TTL version and the controller is also is for Nikon fit. I do not see a master reset. When I use the flash on Nikon D610, it works fine. The flash does not trigger on D850 or Z7.... I have reset all the custom settings on the camera body ... Camera seems to work with Nikon SB 5000 .. so definitely not an issue with camera body nor the flash ... Flash is a new one
13 Dec 2019 9:27PM
fair enough, had to check Smile

it sounds like a communications issue then,

when I went to the d850 , I had to spend a couple of hundred quid on updating my non-Nikon lenses otherwise they would not do anything, perhaps Nissin have not got a suitable update or workaround, especially since you mention the z7 too, that will have a similar controller to your d850 whereas the d610 is much older. I have a couple of sb-600s which work with my d850 and they are much older...but Nikon so I am sure it was designed to work!

I have investigated Nikons I-TTL over the years and build my own devices which allow me to read the data provided from the camera, it will let the flash know what it is and ask for ID, if it does not like what it gets back it won't talk...

maybe you could talk to Kenro about it directly as they service the nissin brand?

sorry I cant help anymore, I wish you the best of luck

13 Dec 2019 9:31PM
Thank you so much. appreciate that

I will check with kenro .. I did contact Nikon NPS and they just blatantly said they only support nikon flashesSad
LenShepherd 11 4.1k United Kingdom
13 Dec 2019 10:29PM

Quote: I did contact Nikon NPS and they just blatantly said they only support nikon flashesSad

Why do you consider it "blatant" of Nikon support (which is paid for by Nikon) to restrict Nikon's advice to using Nikon products?

As you have guessed you ask Kenro as they seem to be the UK importers.

If you specifically asked a retailer for X to work on Y - and it does not - then whatever you bought from the retailer is not fit for purpose - and you are entitled to your money back - from the retailer - as the retailer gave you wrong advice.

If you asked for A without finding out if it does what you expect - then nobody has let you down - other than yourself. You can still ask a retailer to allow some form of credit towards a "correct" item as a goodwill gesture.

14 Dec 2019 10:09AM
Hello - Kenro compatibility does explicitly say it supports most modern cameras & provides details of firmware. Issue with Nikon support is that they can provide some details of why this may happen in Nikon cameras. Even their own SB-700 does not enable the flash control menu in D850. I have so far not managed to find why this option is disabled on the camera body.... I just want to be very sure I am not making a mistake and so decided to post it here so if anyone has had the same problem then they may be able to guide me to correct settings
LenShepherd 11 4.1k United Kingdom
14 Dec 2019 11:19AM

Quote:Hello - Kenro compatibility does explicitly say it supports most modern cameras & provides details of firmware.

I suggest you need to establish if "most modern cameras" includes the cameras you want to use with all or just some of the functions of Nissin flash.
Kenro as Nissin importers should be able to respond to a specific detailed email request.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.