Amazon Music Unlimited Offer: 3-Months For FREE!

Daft questions about lenses from a newbie

Andysnapper 12 109 25 England
24 May 2008 5:09PM
Hi

I'm sure this question has been asked before but I've just bought a Tamron 200-500mm lens and a D70 from abirding forum. I know the Tamron will not autofocus with my D40x but will my nikon VR AF lenses work with the D70 or would there be a compatability problem because they both autofocus? Any help and advice gratefully recieved

Andy

PS Of to the pub for tea now so may not be able to answer any replies tonight.
Simon_P 14 487 4 United Kingdom
24 May 2008 7:08PM
The Nikon D40,D40x or D60 do not have an inbody AF motor but the D70 does, so any lenses for the D40,D40x or D60 that don't have an in lens AF motor will not AF with the D40,D40x or D60
cameracat 17 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
25 May 2008 8:43AM

Quote:because they both autofocus

The D70 you bought is capable of using almost every lens ever made by Nikon, Be it AF or MF, I believe there are a couple of exceptions, But these are very rare lens, And chances are you'll not come across them.....Unless your a collector....!

To sum up....and expand a little on Simon's reply.

Your D40X apart from being a newer camera, Is not as versatile as the D70, In a pecking order from top of the Nikon DSLR range, The D70 is in line with the D80 in terms of it's place in the line up....!

Although I use a D200 these day's I kept my old D70 and still use it, It's a very capable camera......Despite being around for 5 years or so........Smile

You will be suprised just how good the D70 is, When you start using it......Smile Smile

Just one more D70 tip.......Some ( Though not all ) D70 models had a problem, Commonly called " The Green Light " of death....Sad

The problem was with a component from a 3rd party supplier of parts to Nikon, Nikon are aware of the problem, And will repair the camera, Should you encounter the problem......Smile

As far as I am aware, The repair was " Free " of charge, Irrespective of warrant status.....Smile But this was some years ago, So that may have changed.....Either way it's a minor repair and not that expensive....!

Having said that, Any D70 floating around the 2nd hand market today, Either don't have the problem......Or have been repaired years ago, When it was first highlighted......!

So if the one you have bought is fully functional, Don't worry about it.....Smile
Andysnapper 12 109 25 England
25 May 2008 8:22PM
Thanks Cameracat and Simon,

I had thought that that was the case but better to be safe than sorry. I keep hearing how good the D70 is and i've just looked at a gallery of bird photos all taken with the D70 and the Tamron lens and the results are pretty special. I suspect that technique plays a large part in the quality as well so I'd better get practising, well when they arrive anyway.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.