Find Out What's Happening At The Photography Show 2021

Dark images

sherlob Plus
15 3.2k 131 United Kingdom
21 Mar 2009 1:17PM

Quote:If you see a picture of someone who has been subjected to physical and emotional abuse but there are no visible signs of it, people are less likely to be moved or affected by what they see or to understand the full extent of his or her injuries.Quote this post

An interesting turn. Does this not then run the risk of re-inforcing the argument that only visible injury qualifies as injury? I understand your argument, but I wonder if there are alternative ways to show the impact of say psychological violence/ injury? Personally I think there are.
SuziBlue 18 16.2k 10 Scotland
21 Mar 2009 1:53PM
No, I was countering the arguments of those who felt that the bruise, because it wasn't realistic, didn't make the image believable. My take is that the bruise symbolises the physical as well as the unseen damage - without a verbal narrative it's unlikely that a picture of a woman staring into the camera will focus a viewer's attention on a background to the image of domestic violence, if there isn't some visual clue that she has been damaged.

Mental illness for example still struggles with a stigma even today because people can't see a visible sign of an injury and can't put it into a neat box of "tangible = need for support and treatment" and instead perceive it as "intangible = to be feared / unknown / threat". I know it's a truism but it bears repeating - a person who has been emotionally abused but has no physical signs of trauma is just as in need of help and attention as someone who has a broken leg, and will need time to heal and recover.

I agree that there are many, many creative ways in which psychological damage can be interpreted in a visual sense - digital bruising as in the image we're discussing is just one of them but for me it resonated in a very powerful way. It involved identification, memory and personal experience, as it would for many people who have survived such damage.
Just Jas 19 26.3k 1 England
21 Mar 2009 10:57PM

Quote:...in a vast majority of real domestic abuse cases the bruises wont be visible

Sadly only too true Sad
StrayCat 17 19.1k 3 Canada
22 Mar 2009 1:05AM
Sorry for commenting.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.