dark looking photographs

simon73 11 15 United Kingdom
26 Mar 2011 11:28PM
Hello please can someone help me? I am using a Fujifilm Finpix HS10 camera for taking photographs of wild life as a starter as I can not afford nice and fancy camera's at the moment and its a good strating point for me I feel.

The only problem I am having is that my photographs turn out dark looking and I don't understand why?

Many thanks Simon

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse 17 41.4k 270 England
26 Mar 2011 11:35PM

Quote: Fujifilm Finpix HS10

I'm sorry to have to tell you this is not a great camera. I had one for about a month and sent it back as I was disappointed with it - even at the price.

You can try setting the exposure compensation to a 'plus' figure to get brighter pictures. I can't recall in what steps this is but you could try 1/3rd or 1/2 a stop (EV) to start with; if this makes no sense to you the manual will explain.

Good luck! Smile
simon73 11 15 United Kingdom
26 Mar 2011 11:37PM
Cheers Carabosse I give it ago and see what happens if it the same then I do what you did and sent it back Smile
dcash29 14 2.4k England
27 Mar 2011 8:46AM

Quote:I am using a Fujifilm Finpix HS10 camera for taking photographs of wild life

The only problem I am having is that my photographs turn out dark looking and I don't understand why?

What metering setting are you using? upload or describe the picture you're referring to.
Picola 10 15 United Kingdom
1 Apr 2011 7:39PM
I bought a fuji finepix and it wasn't up to much really. Guess I am getting picky with having a dslr now Grin
But compared to Lumix panasonic, fujis are rubbish.
dcash29 14 2.4k England
2 Apr 2011 8:33AM

Quote:fujis are rubbish.
I agree, although they never used to be

In this instance it sounds like an incorrect metering setting on camera
ash59uk 9 15
2 Apr 2011 9:36PM

Quote:I am using a Fujifilm Finpix HS10 camera for taking photographs of wild life

What metering setting are you using? upload or describe the picture you're referring to.

I just got a used fuji s5700 and had a similar problem, you need to check what metering it is using, mine was set to spot, now I have changed it to average it is like a different camera.
Jestertheclown 11 8.2k 253 England
2 Apr 2011 9:52PM

Quote:I just got a used fuji s5700 and had a similar problem, you need to check what metering it is using, mine was set to spot, now I have changed it to average it is like a different camera.

I've had a Fuji S5700 for about 3 years (I can't afford anything else) and I've never had a problem with it.
There's plenty of scope for getting the settings wrong but if you're careful, learn how it all works and work at it, it will pay dividends.
I generally shoot using programme or aperture mode and the metering's set to "spot" practically all the time.
Just about everthing in my pf. was shot with it.

Jester.
ash59uk 9 15
2 Apr 2011 10:52PM

Quote:I just got a used fuji s5700 and had a similar problem, you need to check what metering it is using, mine was set to spot, now I have changed it to average it is like a different camera.
I've had a Fuji S5700 for about 3 years (I can't afford anything else) and I've never had a problem with it.
There's plenty of scope for getting the settings wrong but if you're careful, learn how it all works and work at it, it will pay dividends.
I generally shoot using programme or aperture mode and the metering's set to "spot" practically all the time.
Just about everthing in my pf. was shot with it.

Jester.

I shall bow to experience. Greetings Jester
BigRick 14 2.1k 3 United Kingdom
2 Apr 2011 11:35PM
i have had a 5*** series and the 6*** series and the 9*** series fuji cameras... i know have a fuji z10fd as the one i chuck in my pocket and still like the pictures.... and have no problems now, nor have i ever had any problems with Fuji cameras.

as in so many cases, the equipment is not to blame, the user is.

Read the manual, and practise with the settings.... its a bit like the post about someones pictures not being straight, so hold the camera differently.

Read on metering modes, and how to adjust exposure etc.... the manual is there for a reason, and as miserable as it might be of me.... when i get asked "how do i do ????" my first response is "READ THE MANUAL".
Just Jas Plus
18 26.3k 1 England
3 Apr 2011 12:15PM
I have some empathy with Big Rick's point of view. I use a fuji S9600 when I don't wish to carry a larger DSLR around and also get good results.

As, in any camera, a little familiarity with it and the results will be successful.
Carabosse 17 41.4k 270 England
3 Apr 2011 6:18PM
The earlier Fuji cameras were very good but the HS10, unfortunately, was a bit over-ambitious and not Fuji's finest effort! A 24-720mm (FF equiv) zoom on a small-sensor camera is not a recipe for happiness! Wink

Having persevered with an HS10 for about a month, I gave up and sent it back.
ash59uk 9 15
3 Apr 2011 6:20PM

Quote:I have had a 5*** series and the 6*** series and the 9*** series fuji cameras... i know have a fuji z10fd as the one i chuck in my pocket and still like the pictures.... and have no problems now, nor have i ever had any problems with Fuji cameras.

as in so many cases, the equipment is not to blame, the user is.

Read the manual, and practise with the settings.... its a bit like the post about someones pictures not being straight, so hold the camera differently.

Read on metering modes, and how to adjust exposure etc.... the manual is there for a reason, and as miserable as it might be of me.... when i get asked "how do i do ????" my first response is "READ THE MANUAL".

I downloaded the manual for a Fuji s5700 and it can be a little vague to say the least, one point I found out on here thanks to Jester is that you can bring up the histogram and adjust compensation via the clock dial, it doesn`t mention this in the book, for the most part the manual tells you what things are but doesn`t give much information on how some of these settings would be used.

I agree that Fuji`s are good cameras for what they are, they are a good all rounder, better than a compact but no where near a dslr.
Just Jas Plus
18 26.3k 1 England
12 Apr 2011 11:13AM
Do the pics not come good when you process them in your Photo prog, whichever one you use?
thewilliam 12 6.1k
12 Apr 2011 3:06PM
The OP didn't say whether the pix are being adjusted in Photoshop.

Most beginners don't use a calibrated monitor and most are optimised for gaming and that means that it's way too bright. If you're using a monitor straight out of the box and you adjust the pic for "correct" brightness as seen on the monitor, it'll usually print way too dark. Check it out!

Fuji products are usually dependable.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.