Save 50% On Affinity Photo Today!

dark looking photographs

Jestertheclown 11 8.2k 253 England
12 Apr 2011 3:55PM

Quote:The only problem I am having is that my photographs turn out dark looking and I don't understand why?

When you say they "turn out" dark, do you mean they appear dark on your monitor or are the OK there but produce prints which "turn out" dark?

If the prints are dark whilst the monitor images are not, then the problem lies with the set up with your computer/monitor/printer, not your camera.

For what it's worth, I use a cheap, uncalibrated mointor (I've never felt the need), a cheap but excellent Epson PSC with after market (read "cheap") inks and pound shop photo paper. I have no problems at all.

Jester.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Just Jas Plus
18 26.3k 1 England
13 Apr 2011 10:52AM
My images from my 300D, 30D, S9600 are somewhat dark straight off the card. Until they are adjusted in PSPro or similar.

The idea is that most of the processing is done on the computer to your liking rather than the somewhat more limited processing capability of the camera.

Also, erring towards the darkside gives a better chance of the highlights not burning out.

I remember all the who-ha when the 300D first came out and people changed from the likes of the fuji S602Z - a fine little camera in its day - to the 300D: dark pictures - not sharp etc. Just required a little more post processing.
jas
Simon123 9 9
29 Apr 2011 2:03AM
If there is something bright in the composition it can throw off you cameras light meter. I'm not familiar with your camera, can you view the histogram? It should touch the right side but not stack up on it.

Using the M (manual) setting can help with tricky metering situations, as can adjusting the exposure compensation. If you need some help understanding how they work you can check out my website. It's a free guide to digital photography that has has a lot of positive feedback. I wrote it so I could refer forums users to it and not write the same answers out again and again lol. Hope it helps.
BigRick 14 2.1k 3 United Kingdom
29 Apr 2011 12:06PM
hmmmmm..... another ext link.... you cant have them you know.... lol Wink
Simon123 9 9
29 Apr 2011 4:44PM
While I understand the need to control spamming links, not allowing any external links is just plain dumb. It's 2011 and I'm linking from a photo forum to a how to learn photography site. Can I link to Wikipedia, website deals for camera gear, photography news, book reviews? If you can't link to where someone might learn something, what's the point? I'd rather put my efforts into being part of a community that doesn't have silly rules.
Jestertheclown 11 8.2k 253 England
29 Apr 2011 5:54PM
External links don't usually last long on here.
Sometimes I feel that the reasons for their removal are a bit dubious and I'm not sure how long yours will survive but for what it's worth, I've bookmarked your site and I shall certainly be paying a good few visits.
I use CS5 (and previously CS2) and I've been collecting tutorials, many of them saved as Pdfs. from Epz. for ages.
I reckon that all tutorials are worth at least looking at and if they're free, then that's a bonus.

Jester.
Simon123 9 9
29 Apr 2011 6:25PM
The photoshop stuff is very basic, maybe you'll pick something up. My technique has evolved since i wrote them about 4 years ago and I might choose to do something a bit differently now, however the techniques are still valid. You can still do much the same thing in later photoshop versions too. These days I use Lightroom for most of the things I wrote the tutorials for.

I originally wrote the site because I found I was saying the same thing over and over in forums. And trying to explain a tricky concept in a short post often just led to more confusion. So I sat down and wrote something I could refer beginners to. A place I could take the time to do it right. Until quite recently I didn't even have Google ads on there, but the traffic through the site keeps going up and I was forced with the choice of taking it down or moving to new, more expensive hosting. I took a lot from the online community in general when I learned photography, so I chose to continue giving back.

If they want to take away the links that fine, but I'm not wasting my time by writing out the same stuff, nor am I copying and pasting gobs of my sites content to this site. If they delete it so be it. It's not like I have to contribute here, there are many, many forums, and this place will tick along just fine if I'm not around. Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.