Save 15% On Excire Foto Software With Code: EXCIRE-EP

Data lost, HELP!

CatMouse 18 115 Russian Federation
23 Dec 2005 11:26PM
Hi,

Please, help us wit the following problem.

What we have:

HP XU800 Workstation wit two PIII-1000 CPU.
U160 SCSI 73GB System disk, 1GB RIMM RAMBUS.
WinXP Professional.

Data array of two 160GB Seagate SATA HDD disk connected as an STRIP (RAID0) set to the LSI LOGIC PCI64 66Mhz MegaRaid SATA 4(64MB cash memory).

What's happened:

LSI LOGIC controller was crashed by unknown reason(constantly "beep" sound onboard controller speaker).

Verdict:

Controller is unrecoverable. Computer company send back money to us because there is no another LSI card.

Summary:

About 123GB of photos can't be reading....

Attempts to solve a problem:

At installation on other controller (Adaptec RAID SATA) these two disks are visible as one array "Foreign", attempt of its connection gives out the message on a mistake.
Ontrack EasyRecovery utility(www.ontrack.com) can solve this problem...during the approx. 1000 HOURS! Ooops.....

SO, PLEASE HELP.

P.S. All disks are good.

Malik & Maria.
24 Dec 2005 9:33AM
I hardly understand a word of this but...my external HD stopped working, the local computer shop said they couldn't get at the hundreds of pictures on it. A friend came to stay and brought a copy of 'Restore 2000 Professional' which found my stuff straight away. The only problem is what to do with it while the drive is re-formatted.
You may have tried this already but worth a shot anyway.
Good luck.

Simon
mlewis 17 1.5k United Kingdom
24 Dec 2005 2:00PM
Your best bet is probably to try and get another RAID controller of the same type as the one that went wrong. If you can do this then hopefully the system would work fine. The problem with RAID O arrays is that when something goes wrong the data on the disks is pretty much useless as everything is split across both disks. You could investigate data recovery companies to see what services they could provide. As the disks theselves are fine there is a change that the data can be recovered. If one of the disks was kanckered there would be no chance.

If you use a RAID array again use RAID 1 or 5 because there is always a full copy of the data on the disks and so it is easy to recover from problems. RAID 0 is not worth the risk of data loss in the event of problems ans is not much faster really.
strawman 17 22.2k 16 United Kingdom
24 Dec 2005 2:20PM
Sorry to hear of this Malik. After the holiday I would contact HP and ask them what they would advise, or contact a professional data recovery company.

Or you could scour EBay and 2nd hand IT stores for exactly identical cards.

The problem is HP may be unhelpful and tell you you should have a back up.

Regards John
CatMouse 18 115 Russian Federation
28 Dec 2005 10:38AM
Thanks all those who has responded!

John, thanks for the interesting information and you help.
We already tried to use the similar controller - the error remains.
We have carried our disks to the local computer company in Moscow: they have told that will try to restore all...
However, success is under a Question!

Malik & Mary.
_ 16 535 4 Virgin Islands, British
28 Dec 2005 10:52AM
Malik & Maria,
First thing to do is nothing!!!!!!
Sounds silly, but until you have decided on a course to recover the data you will only be digging a bigger hole and making it a harder job to recover the data.

I lost two RAID 0s a couple of weeks ago, one to an onboard chip error and the other to a failed disk.
The good news is that the data is recoverable, but this good news comes with a hefty price.
In my case it is 875+VAT, but every case is treated on it's own merits and it will depend on who you get to do the data recovery.

I'm pretty certain that in your case it could be done a lot cheaper, esp if your disks are still good.

Anyway, company I tried are www.vogon-international.co.uk

I wish yuou luck.

John

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.