Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Day 05 October 2010: Historic ruins

peterjones 19 5.1k 1 United Kingdom
5 Oct 2010 4:56PM
abbaye-de-jumieges.jpg

not Hastings Pier but Abbaye de Jumieges

lycian-rock-tomb-fethiye.jpg

also not Hastings Pier but the Lycian Rock Tombs, Fethiye, Turkey.
5 Oct 2010 6:01PM
starling-roost-over-west-pier-brighton.jpg

this however is the skeletal remains of Brighton West Pier with one of Nature's spectacles: a murmuration of starlings coming in to roost at sunset.
lawbert 14 1.8k 15 England
5 Oct 2010 6:08PM
Fantastic capture PeterSmile
StrayCat 17 19.1k 3 Canada
5 Oct 2010 6:22PM
When on layovers in Brighton, I often wondered about the pier, why were they built? It's not a sheltered harbour, after all. Maybe someone anticipated that photographers would find it interesting.Tongue
braddy 11 37 Scotland
5 Oct 2010 6:40PM
Caervarlock Castle, near Dumfries
img-4901.jpg
5 Oct 2010 7:36PM
brighton-west-pier-hut-180408.jpg

this is one of the last huts remaining that was part of Brighton West Pier, ; this is adjacent to what was the entrance to the Pier; last time I was at Brighton you couldn't have taken this picture, all the remains of the first part of the pier were boarded up and barriers enclosed the space. Sad

blame the Victorians for our piers; they were built as a centre of entertainment at sea without the seasickness; about 50 were built in the second half of the 19th century.
As for Brighton all the money went to preserving Brighton (formerly Palace) Pier, unfortunately money wasn't forthcoming to save the West Pier; as we all know piers lead a precarious life as Hastings has recently taught us. I believe most of the remains of the West Pier are/have been taken away apart from the very head which was the old theatre.
The starling roost is a spectacular sight and one February evening when I took the picture the beach was lined with people enjoying the spectacle.

Many thanks for your kind comment Paul Grin

I took the image below on Brighton Pier ..... massage accessories? Orgasmatron? What kind of matron was she ?

Since I took the photograph the hut has been redecorated and the wording has gone ......

palace-pier-massage-parlour-190408.jpg
5 Oct 2010 7:38PM

Quote:Dunmore Park House not too far from Edinburgh - a tramp through a few fields and there it is.....

Is this the one near 'The Pineapple House' nr Stirling ? Stayed there a few years ago ! Grin
cattyal Plus
16 9.2k 6 England
5 Oct 2010 7:41PM
Yep - that's the one. Every time I go up to Edinburgh I try to go somewhere new - and this was the destination for this years excursion.

Admittedly I said it was not far from Edinburgh as I couldn't recall precisely where it is!
fotostory 11 1 Romania
5 Oct 2010 9:03PM
This is the ruins of IBIDA City, 2000 years old - situated in center of Dobrogea region (SE today Romania), was a very important city of Eastern Roman Empire

ibida.jpg
randomrubble 17 3.1k 12 United Kingdom
7 Oct 2010 2:12PM
Hastings Pier last night...

pier.jpg

pier2.jpg
7 Oct 2010 5:35PM
lets hope that Hastings Pier never looks like Brighton's West Pier.
Jestertheclown 12 8.5k 253 England
7 Oct 2010 5:47PM

Quote:lets hope that Hastings Pier never looks like Brighton's West Pier.

Sadly, I think there's every chance it will do, although it could never be as photogenic as the West Pier, simply due to its shape.
After standing unused for a number of years becasuse of fears for its safety, it must surely have been beyond realistic repair and the fire won't have made any diference to that. The bits that were burned would have had to be removed anyway.
Unfortunately the cost of getting rid of it altogether must also be prohibitive so I dare say it will be left to fall apart.

Jester.
8 Oct 2010 9:38AM
sad to say Jester but I have to agree with you Sad lets hope we are wrong!
Jestertheclown 12 8.5k 253 England
8 Oct 2010 5:04PM

Quote:lets hope we are wrong!

I hope so too PJ but realistically, I can't see that there's even a remote chance for any of these historic structures.

Cast iron and seawater was never going to be a sensible combination and after a hundred or more years, these piers must surely be coming to the end of their sustainable lives.

Jester.
braddy 11 37 Scotland
20 Oct 2010 7:56PM
Caerlaverock Castle, near Dumfries. Think it looks better as a mono conversion.
img-4901bw.jpg

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.