50% Off Portrait Pro + An Extra 15% For EPZ Members With Code: EPZ421

Decent pocket sized cam

Diana 14 2.0k 19 Netherlands
24 Oct 2009 11:44PM
I recently went away and of course want to carry a camera everywhere but get so fed up with the weight of it....and sometimes it is not always appropriate to be walking about with a big cam round my neck in places I donít know (safety issues)

What would anyone recommend as a good pocket size cam for decent snaps.....

thanks if you can help and recommend

Diana
Morpyre Plus
16 1.6k 8 Wales
25 Oct 2009 12:03AM
get a pouch from a typical sized kangeroo and attach it to yourself - if it can hold an entire baby kangeroo it would have more than enough space for a decent dslr + lens and an additional lens and i expect you could fit some memory cards and batteries too. this is my approach due to the fact that i have limited experience of little camera's - i like my tool to be big and a double hand full Tongue
strawman 17 22.2k 16 United Kingdom
25 Oct 2009 12:07AM
I picked up a Canon A570 IS for a portable options. why? well £60 was a good start,
built in IS,
Aperture priority and manual modes
manual focus with hyperfocal option
with Hack firmware you can get RAW and lots of other features.

And being a silver plastic thing people just do not take any notice when you use it.

Canon's G series look to be the more sensible and more expensive option.
25 Oct 2009 12:11AM
yes peter but you dont have to carry a hand bag with all the girlie bits in it too ....and on hols its all day long .....(and I was mugged in Santiago) so just a bit wary now

have you got a linky to that little cam please ?
Pub 11 28
25 Oct 2009 12:26AM
Nikon Coolpix S640 and its very fast to.
strawman 17 22.2k 16 United Kingdom
25 Oct 2009 12:33AM
It was like this but with IS. There looks to none for sale now, sorry Wink
25 Oct 2009 12:35AM
ah OK thanks (whats IS) ?
StrayCat 17 19.1k 3 Canada
25 Oct 2009 12:44AM
Image Stabilisation with Canon. Nikon is VR, or vibration reduction.
25 Oct 2009 1:00AM
thanks but this is going to be a nightmare I can see it now !

I have no idea what to look for in a small pocket cam

errrr quality shots and ease of use (idiot proof would be good)
Carabosse 18 41.5k 270 England
25 Oct 2009 1:53AM
Sony DSC-TX1 for real pocketability.
StrayCat 17 19.1k 3 Canada
25 Oct 2009 1:55AM
Or the Canon Elph.
Pub 11 28
25 Oct 2009 10:26AM

Quote:Thanks but this is going to be a nightmare I can see it now !

I have no idea what to look for in a small pocket cam

errrr quality shots and ease of use (idiot proof would be good)

I was in the same boat as you recently but after extensive research one thing that struck me on the head is that quality of photo's in a modern point and shoot with idiot proof settings is all pretty much universal and standard.
So is the portability as nearly all of them range from pocket size to shirt pocket size.

So how does one choose?

For me it was speed (shutter lag) and wide angle lens.
I can't stand wanting to take a photo and then have to wait for the camera to take its time after you press the shutter button, and while this is not important in landscapes it still grates on me.
I also wanted a 28mm wide angle and didn't care how much zoom it had. If I had wanted a long zoom I would have opted for one of the Panasonics and even may have gone with the FZ38 - although this would not have been pocket size.

So basically that's why I chose the Nikon s640 as its probably now the fastest compact out there with a 28mm lens that zooms out further than I need.
It has an idiot mode as well as umpteen scene modes.

If your criteria is point and shoot with an idiot mode then there are more cameras out there than you can shake a stick at.
Sticking to a well known brand will not see you go far wrong - Canon Ixus, Nilon Coolpix, Fuji, Panasonic, Sony, etc.
If money is a criteria then for just over £100 gets you a superb camera in Fuji f60fd or Panasonic fs7.

Lastly, I would not go below aprox £120 as a rough guide.
25 Oct 2009 5:55PM
thanks for that

the ixus appeals.... budget not an issue..idiot proof-ness is an issue

I cant be bothered to re learn another load of complex settings (again)

the nikon also appeals for its wide angle

shooting in RAW would be good too

a friend was snapping with a Leica (whatever that is) and the shots looked great on the screen
Adderwatcher 11 60 19 United Kingdom
25 Oct 2009 6:47PM
The canon powershot series are good pocket cameras, you can usually find one for a good price and they take fantastic shots even on full automatic. Can't remember if they take RAW though.
Pub 11 28
26 Oct 2009 12:37AM
The new Canon s90 does Raw, so does Ricoh models and the Panasonic LX3 - but isn't this overkill?

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.