Find Out What's Happening At The Photography Show 2021

Delayed shutter in Digital Cameras

dvdrew 17 22 1 Australia
13 May 2004 1:36AM
Is it a common fault amongst most Digital Cameras where there always seems to be a delay between the moment you squeeze the trigger till the shutter activates?

This has caused me untold problems when attempting to capture action or movement.
franken Plus
19 5.3k 4 United Kingdom
13 May 2004 9:10AM
This is a problem with some digital cameras. Some cameras are almost as fast as film cameras though. I use a Minolta Z1 and its as fast as a film camera. I used to use a Praktica and that was very slow.
Ken
minoltaandy 17 370
13 May 2004 9:30AM
I've read that to shorten the gap you need to 'pre-focus' the camera by holding down the button half way. Keep it here then to take the photo press it all the way in and it should be quicker.

Of course, being a film user this is only what I have read. I'm sure someone can correct this if it is wrong.
digicammad 18 22.0k 40 United Kingdom
13 May 2004 9:47AM
All the digital cameras I have used have had the 2 stage shutter as Andy describes. With some it locks the focus and exposure so you have to be careful about changing lighting conditions. When I am taking photos of action I use manual focus where possible, pre-focussing on an area with the AF and then switching over. This makes shutter lag virtually non-existant. If manual focus is not possible then some other way of pre-focussing may be necessary.

My new camera has subject tracking which, as long as the subject isn't moving towards me too fast, allows me to lock onto a subject and follow it until I get the shot.

Ian
nikon5700ite 17 1.8k
13 May 2004 10:52AM
Digital cameras will take up to two seconds to take a shot if you press the trigger down in one movement, particularly if the light is dull and the camera has a problem focusing.

If you pays your money and get the expensive DSLR this is less a problem.

For the rest of us the half trigger is the solution with care about just what the camera is focusing and setting the exposure on. It doesn't inhibit action shots if you know what is going to happen and where .... but snap shots are unlikely to work.
UserRemoved 17 526
13 May 2004 11:14AM
Even if the camera is focussed there will be a slight delay because there's no mechanical linkage as in a non-digital camera. A message is sent to the camera cpu which has to work out what's going on before actioning it. They're getting quicker though. I don't notice any delay on the A2. The A2's got the option of a couple of authentic 35mm shutter sounds so it feels like a real camera.
dvdrew 17 22 1 Australia
13 May 2004 11:20AM
Thanks for the advice everyone. Much appreciated!

Drew
snapdragon 17 8
13 May 2004 3:46PM
My Nikon 5700 has a significant shutter lag, which doesn't matter a lot of the time with the type of pictures I tend to take. It's very noticeable, though, when trying to capture spontaneous expressions. I was tempted to get the teleconverter lens for wildlife shots, but have decided against it as I think this might mean even more shutter delay. Does anyone know if this problem has been resolved in the 8700?
digicammad 18 22.0k 40 United Kingdom
13 May 2004 3:53PM
I'm not sure that the teleconvertor would increase shutter delay, I have never noticed an increase when I have been using one.

Ian
UserRemoved 17 526
14 May 2004 6:47AM
The reviews say the 8700 is much faster at focussing than the 5700.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.