Deleting images in camera

alan6 14 70 United Kingdom
24 Sep 2011 8:01PM
I have been looking at another forum where there is a discussion about using the delete button on your camera and the general concensus seems to be DO NOT delete images via your camera but do so only when they have been downloaded on the computer.
It would be interesting to know the views of ephotozine members.

Alan
whipspeed 17 4.2k 22 United Kingdom
24 Sep 2011 8:32PM
Why would you not delete in camera? I usually delete any obviously duff OOF shots as I go along when doing cycle races. I suppose for landscape there is no point in deleting until you look on a screen as you can't see all the detail on a small screen on camera. But DO NOT seems a bit strong Smile
User_Removed 19 2.8k 11 United Kingdom
24 Sep 2011 8:32PM
? If you don't think they're good enough.............delete them?
I can't understand where the problem is?
Kris_Dutson 19 8.2k 1 England
24 Sep 2011 8:41PM
I was always told to only delete using the camera (which I do) as the card has been formatted by the camera. Deleting with a PC can lead to problems. Not sure if that's still (or ever was) correct but I've never had a problem doing it that way.
justin c 17 5.1k 36 England
24 Sep 2011 8:45PM
I delete images and movie clips from the camera all the time, passes the time during a lull in the action Smile , I've never had a problem doing things this way. Once the remaining images are copied to the computers hard drive and verified that they're in place, the card gets formatted in the camera every time.
sherlob Plus
15 3.2k 131 United Kingdom
24 Sep 2011 8:52PM
I don't have a problem with my current camera, but I was always extra careful with my 5D Mk1 - the delete, and delete all options were next to one another - I was worried I'd accidentally delete all. Glad Canon changed this in the 5D Mk11
mattw 17 5.2k 10 United Kingdom
24 Sep 2011 9:06PM
Never had a problem deleting on camera.

Quote:I was always told to only delete using the camera (which I do) as the card has been formatted by the camera. Deleting with a PC can lead to problems. Not sure if that's still (or ever was) correct but I've never had a problem doing it that way.

Should not make any difference, as the cards are formated using FAT32 - which is why the computers can see them anyway
lobsterboy Plus
17 15.0k 13 United Kingdom
24 Sep 2011 9:07PM
I don't really understand why you would delete in camera - it's a real faff, you can't really see the images and you can easily make a mistake.
I only ever delete on my PC as I have a backup of the images there and it's quicker & easier.
Dave_E 13 125 United Kingdom
24 Sep 2011 9:12PM
I was taught that it was OK to "delete" the odd useless attempt of a shot but after downloading to a computer or whatever to format the card in camera as this was where you wanted to use the card next.
paperboy 12 208
24 Sep 2011 9:32PM
Delete in camera to remove unwanted files during an ongoing shoot...OK
At the begining of a shoot, format in-camera do not just delete all files.
Delete just removes the lead code enabling a write over (save) Format in camera removes all traces of previous files, and matches your camera save system to a fresh start.
Never delete files or format cards from your pc.

Over time vestiges of deleted files can cause conflict or corrupted cards, particularly if your trying to recover accidently deleted files.
A recommended system, although you may go forever without a problem.
User_Removed 11 4.6k 1 Scotland
24 Sep 2011 9:43PM
I only delete in camera if I am away from home and need card space.

Otherwise, I download to my PC (Lightroom), assess the images and then delete from the PC any that I do not wish to keep.

I reformat the card when I replace it in the camera.
paperboy 12 208
24 Sep 2011 10:22PM
@leftforum:.........Perfect......!
MrGoatsmilk 13 1.5k England
24 Sep 2011 11:29PM
I just format the whole card in camera no need to delete firsty
Canonshots 11 206 13 United Kingdom
25 Sep 2011 8:28AM
Why waste time downloading duff images? Much quicker to get rid of them first.
Overread 13 4.1k 19 England
25 Sep 2011 8:54AM
On the 400D the Delete and Delete All buttons were right next to each other, on a cold day, with gloves maybe, when your hands are a bit chilly and shaky - or in a rush before the next shot appears I could well see hitting the delete all by accident (thus rendering the card unusable until you get it back to PC for recovery software to do its magic).

In addition one spends enough time chimping, changing settings and custom modes and the like, adding sorting through shots to delete just reduces your shooting time even more and increases your chances of missing a shot or rushing and fouling up at some stage.

Another point to consider is the LCD, granted they are getting better all the time, but they are still a very poor way to judge a photos quality accurately enough to sift through regular shots for duff or keepers based on technical aspects. This is simply an area where you need the larger view that a computer screen affords you.

Even now on the 7D, when I don't have delete and delete all next to each other, I still don't really bother to delete shots in-camera. I leave it all down when I get them on the computer, and with a card-reader the transfer time is fast enough that I really don't concern myself with it. Add a good image library and sorting program to your workflow (Lightroom is ideal for this!) and the sorting is not only much easier but much faster than in the camera.

The only time I'd ever actually seriously sit down to delete shots in the field would be if I were really pressed for card space and needed to cut out shots to fit more on; and if that happened more than once or twice I'd seriously look to getting more cards.

EDIT - with regard to formatting the cards I do this every time I clean the card of images for use in the camera. I typically do this before a shoot rather than after transferring the data to the computer from the cards (that way I have a grace period where the shots are duplicated on card and on computer; important should something mess up on the computer with the files before I can back them up on the external harddrive).

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.