Deviant art...

tepot 15 4.4k United Kingdom
24 Aug 2009 9:07PM
I have just looked through deviantart.com after a recommendation from a friend and wondered if anyone here uses that site for stock images to use in montages? if so, how do i know which are free to use and which ar not? i don't want to be accused of stealing peoples art.

Terry.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

redsnappa 17 2.0k United Kingdom
24 Aug 2009 9:33PM
I've seen the website but can't find anything deviant about it
Strobe 12 1.3k United States
24 Aug 2009 9:56PM
I use textures from the site which are offered for free by the creator and often have comments like

Quote:- Credit by only linking to my account
- Don't Steal !
- Don't use this to create your own stock or tutorials.
- Don't use my stock to break the TOS or the law."

webjam 15 292 11 Netherlands
25 Aug 2009 4:02PM
If you are using these stock images from Deviant, you almost always have to credit the maker of it. Sometimes, the use of the images is also even limited to showing the collage on the Deviant website too.

I take my own stock photoos now and even bought a Canon G10 compact to carry around in my handbag for that purpose.
Just need to solve the problem of having no pictures of models. Tried to solve that with learning 3D, but still need to learn more before I really get to use that in my collage work!

Jacqueline
tepot 15 4.4k United Kingdom
25 Aug 2009 7:54PM
I also looked at a 3D magazine with tutorials in it but then realised these images are done by pro's and i would be doomed to disapointment, if i need a model i will stump up the cash and pay for a studio session.

thanks everyone.

Terry.
webjam 15 292 11 Netherlands
25 Aug 2009 8:06PM
Depend on how much you want to control the look of the model. I have used 3D models in these images:

first example

second example

So long you do not need to act the models as real life models, but as a part of an image it is possible to get pretty good results with even free software (DAZ Studio).
Of course, do not expect true natural results, but there are loads of things possible!

Jacqueline
AngieLatham 15 790 2 United Kingdom
26 Aug 2009 9:31AM
Hi Terry

Sorry I diden't get back to you earlier, I read your message when I dident have time to reply then forgot it was there!

Each stock model on DA will have their own rules, it will say somwhere on the front page of their profile what these are. I only ever use stock models who let you use finished work outside DA and dont have too many silly restrictions added to them. It can be hard to find, just keep looking or ask on the forums.
A lot of people on DA restrict the use to inside the DA website which seems to me that they just want the ego rub of others making artwork of themselves. others, such as 'Lockstock' asks you to link back to them but takes the view that the finished artwork is the artists and not restricted in use by the stock model. I'll send you her link in a PM. Smile

Angie*

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.