Did most intelligent people vote to remain in the EU?

User_Removed 11 240 United Kingdom
6 Feb 2017 5:09PM
I have read two different UK University Honours degree courses (when it was hard to attend Uni and only the top 6% attended rather than everyone as nowadays) and while I would not claim to be any more intelligent than anyone else I find it hard to find anyone who voted to remain. I had one friend that voted to reject Brexit but he has lived in Norway (who rejected EU membership) for the last 15 years and was concerned that he may not be able to retire somewhere in Europe?

The BBC clearly have some hidden agenda to pursue following getting all those opinion polls etc so grossly wrong? Poor losers or what? At the time, everyone I knew, thought (and still think) the BBC was (and still is) a joke and an embarassment. Clearly to us all the BBC are ably demonstrating they do not believe in Democracy as they are trying so hard to overturn it? The big question is, who is pulling the strings?
Fma7 6 1.1k United Kingdom
6 Feb 2017 5:38PM
There are undoubltedly remainers on here who think they're more inteliigent than most, leavers or not.

You know who they are.
6 Feb 2017 5:41PM

Quote:How did they arrive at this conclusion when the only option was to tick leave or stay?
\but doesnt your voting slip have little bits of information on it that could get used and analysed - we are all in databases somewhere?

I was chatting to someone today who no matter what statistics me, or others, put in front of him will still believe what he says is correct. The problems with the NHS are all the fault of immigrants, we've had several discussions on the same topic over the past few weeks and he always goes back to his version of what he thinks is wrong.
seahawk 14 1.4k United Kingdom
6 Feb 2017 5:52PM
Well Garth, I respectfully disagree with you. Given the Labour Party's current problems with anti-semitism and Jezza's failure to get to grips with it I don't think it's just the Tories and UKIP who have a problem with racism! A desire to control immigration is not the same thing as racism. Having said that you and I have a lot of interests in common - Ansel Adams, Jazz & classical and Don Camillo!

As I understand it Parliament, when it approved the holding of the referendum, agreed to abide by the result so it is quite unacceptable for MP's who voted to Remain to attempt to block the process of leaving. In any vote there will be a loser so these MP's should 'man-up' and accept that they lost and deal with it. If they continue to be obstructive in the House they should be deselected by their constituencies if they represent areas that voted to leave.
I see no point in having another referendum on the 'exit package' - I would expect any Government of whatever political colour to get the best package that it can.
bluesandtwos 12 531 1 England
6 Feb 2017 5:53PM
Statistically the average person has less than two legs, make of that what you will. Smile

As so well put by DaveRyder above, I, too, get on very well with my neighbours, I swap my surplus apples for their surplus pears, we cut each others grass when the other is away, if their house was being burgled I would call the police, If they were being attacked I would go to their aid and they me. What wouldn't happen though is them demanding I paint my living room a different colour, that I lend (or give) them money, or that I have to put up their relatives in my spare room. Now if my taps were leaking and their relatives were plumbers I may consider letting them have a room, but only if I liked the look of them, and only if I was certain they would respect my house and the way I live. Funnily, I still like and get on well with my neighbours, and they get on well with me, maybe because we are grown ups. Will be interesting to see if the Eu is 'grown up' as we leave, or if they throw their dummies out of their never successfully audited pram.

Good grief, that was cathartic! Grin
gcarth Plus
17 4.2k 1 United Kingdom
6 Feb 2017 6:07PM

Quote:Clearly to us all the BBC are ably demonstrating they do not believe in Democracy as they are trying so hard to overturn it?
You may be right. Speaking as a Remainer, in fairness, I do get the impression that the BBC are rather biased against the Leavers, though I'm open to other views on that. All I know is that the BBC is often not as neutral as it would pretend to be on political affairs like "humanitarian interventions", for example.
gcarth Plus
17 4.2k 1 United Kingdom
6 Feb 2017 6:31PM

Quote:A desire to control immigration is not the same thing as racism.
Hi, Martin: That's true: It's certainly too easy to conflate racism with a simple desire to control our borders more carefully. However, I feel that the problems with the immigration issue have been exaggerated by media like the Daily Mail and the Sun.
However, I may be wrong. There's so much fake news out there on all sides!Sad

Quote:As I understand it Parliament, when it approved the holding of the referendum, agreed to abide by the result so it is quite unacceptable for MP's who voted to Remain to attempt to block the process of leaving.

The problem I have with that is that the referendum was never actually binding in the first place but it's a pity that wasn't made clearer.
Carabosse 18 41.8k 270 England
6 Feb 2017 6:55PM
Will there still be an EU for us to leave in 2019?

That's become the question! Tongue

Jerrin 6 23 England
6 Feb 2017 8:08PM
I don't know if most intelligent people voted to remain: but following the vote it has become clear to me that most pseudo intellectuals did. I also noticed that, having failed to win people over to the remain point of view by means of reasoned debate, many of those who are a legend in their own lunchtime turned to insults. My one great regret about voting to remain is that I now find myself in the same camp as those who only believe in democracy as long people vote or think the way they do. I did not vote to remain because I believe the EU is good, on the contrary, my research revealed to me that it is apalling. I voted to remain because I felt we did not have the infrastructure in place to leave: coupled with the spiteful bunch in Brussels.
brian1208 18 11.8k 12 United Kingdom
6 Feb 2017 8:11PM
leave it to the current government, there has been too much mucking about and politicking already in my opinion, some want to stop the process, some want to emasculate the negotiating team etc, sure ways of coming up with a result that is sub-optimal and satisfies no one (except those who want to prove it would never work )
6 Feb 2017 8:34PM
Oh well, the Point of No Return is not far off. I understand the PM has pencilled in 9th March as the day she will personally deliver the letter, invoking Article 50, to the EU.

Then on 9th March 2019 we will be out of the EU: "Deal or No Deal" as Noel Edmonds would say. Wink

By then we may have France (if led by Ms Le Pen) and - just possibly - the Netherlands gearing up for their own EU exits. With some other countries pondering doing so.

I see all this as very little to do with 'intelligent v. dumb' and more to do with 'confident (leave) v. fearful (remain). Smile
robthecamman 10 1.7k United Kingdom
6 Feb 2017 8:35PM
i voted to leave.will we have this debate after next general election ?
6 Feb 2017 8:38PM

Quote:i voted to leave.will we have this debate after next general election ?

The next general election could happen sooner than we think, if things go wrong on the Article 50 Bill: e.g. it gets rejected by the House of Lords. Not impossible.
chris.maddock 20 3.7k United Kingdom
6 Feb 2017 8:54PM

Quote:but doesnt your voting slip have little bits of information on it that could get used and analysed - we are all in databases somewhere?

The voting slip does have its individual number which could, in theory, be cross-linked back to the individual via the returning officer's recording list - however, that would both be an extremely arduous manual process and a gross dereliction of the principle of a secret ballot.

The BBC doesn't state in detail exactly how they've done it but I suspect that all they got was the Leave/Remain breakdowns for smaller areas (wards or groups of wards) than the entire council areas, which they have then cross-referenced against demographic data which is legitimately available.

Whether that exercise is something that they should be doing with licence-payers money since it serves little real purpose after the event, so to speak, is something about which I'll leave others to make up their own minds.

FabioKeiner 8 111 1 Austria
7 Feb 2017 11:15AM
maybe the better educated, but certainly not the 'most intelligent' (that's the common mainstream media lie about trump-voters in USA, too: only idiots vote for trump, clever for killer-hillarySmile)
(but, nevermind, whatever the reasons for leave or stay - the final little margin necessary to vote for brexit certainly was mad merkel's open door policy with regards to the refugee crisis 2015, imho.)
and, nevermind again, I'd the most fervent pro-EU-voter in great britain: in EU/europe great britain has to play a leading role - especially as a counterbalance to german hegemony - outside EU and after brexit, you'd be like a settler colony of USA (strange turn-around of historySmile) - or even the 51st state of that union (without representation in american parliament: another historical parallel invertedSmile)
times of british empire and a rebuilt commonwealth are as utopian as some germans' dream of getting back their eastern provinces from poland.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.