Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 10 Ultimate

Digital downloads from 350D

DAVID LYDIATE 18 305
30 Jun 2006 6:29PM
I know opinions differ, but I just read the following paragraph(see para quote below) in a guide book for my digital camera, I was impressed with the speed of the USB 2.0 hub, when shown after installation. In answer to the paragraph another advantage is that I will be able to run more devices off this. Having said that though, I remember something was mentioned about a card reader. Can anyone clarify how I will use my digital camera?
From what I understood from the para is that you use card reader or usb to download images, from I have discussed I thought I would use both?
"The advantage of downloading directly from the camera is that you dont need to buy a card reader. However, there are some distinct disadvantages. For one cameras generally download much more slowly than the card readers (given same connections). Plus, a camera has to be unplugged from the computer after each use, while the card reader can be left attached. In addition to these drawbacks, downloading directly from camera uses its battery power in making the transfer (or you need to plug it into AC power)"

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Morpyre Plus
15 1.6k 8 Wales
30 Jun 2006 6:33PM
i've always used a card reader for my 350D as personal preference. i can't remember exactly but as i recall downloading from the camera only copies the images across rather than moving them. the card reader is a quicker option especially when used on the usb 2.0 connection.

peter "morpyre" turner
strawman 16 22.1k 16 United Kingdom
30 Jun 2006 6:36PM
I agree with al the reasons for getting a reader. They are not expensive.
Britman 14 1.7k England
30 Jun 2006 6:36PM
Get a card reader, there cheap as chips these days, either internal one of USB. It's also easyer, say your doing some still life, to remove the card and not the camera. Another bonus is most card readers will take multiple cards of different type, CF, SD and the like. Try ebay.
I paid 5 for mine from novatech.
AngelaD 15 2.9k Wales
30 Jun 2006 7:22PM
David, I use this camera and a card reader, am local too (ish), so send me a message if you need any help, I'm only too glad to help.
nikon5700ite 16 1.8k
30 Jun 2006 7:33PM
I couldn't see the point of a card reader until I had a problem, bent pin in camera socket which 'shorted out' the computer it just frooze on me, so I installed the card reader I had bought some time back.

Wouldn't like to be without it Smile

But also remember that if you have W2K or XP as your operating system you have an excellent downloading tool and storage system in Windows Explorer which treats picture files just like any other file.
redsnappa 17 2.0k United Kingdom
1 Jul 2006 7:23AM
I've installed an internal card reader into my computer so the usb cable that came with my camera has never been used.
p3asa 14 676 Scotland
1 Jul 2006 7:50AM
Totally agree with a card reader as it is more convenient. However I never noticed much difference speed wise when I have occasionally used the camera to download. The 350D is USB2 so it shouldn't be too slow.

Steven.
DAVID LYDIATE 18 305
3 Jul 2006 9:57AM
1/Take images
2/Take memory card out of camera & insert in card reader
3/Connect card reader to USB port hub 2.0, which connects to PC
4/ Download Images
Is this right?
3 Jul 2006 10:17AM
Yes it is
6 Jul 2006 6:23AM
5/ Possibly buy a new camera, because the contacts in its card socket have become worn from frequent card removals and insertions.
6 Jul 2006 7:12AM
6/ But safe in the knowledge that it is less likely to happen than wear out of the USB connector in the side of the camera.
7 Jul 2006 9:05AM

Quote:6/ But safe in the knowledge that it is less likely to happen than wear out of the USB connector in the side of the camera.

7/ Useless USB? Buy a card reader.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.