Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 11 Ultimate (discount applied at checkout)

Digital economy bill

jazzygf 17 537 Scotland
6 Apr 2010 1:19PM
Ok folks Gordons done it the election has been called May 8th 2010.
Do you all know that means that the digital economy bill will be rushed thu now unless we the VOTERS tell then not to do it.
So i urge you all email your mp and tell them that the UNELECTED LORD MANDY has got it wrong and to kill the bill off.
We are photographers WE OWN our copyright on our images. Mandy can get stuffed i did not elect him neither did any of you lot.
So everyone EMAIL YOUR MP'S TELL THEM TO KILL THE DIGITAL ECONOMY BILL before they fast track it into law.
Carabosse 18 41.5k 270 England
6 Apr 2010 1:31PM

Quote:Ok folks Gordons done it the election has been called May 8th 2010.

Er, no - it's May 6th actually!

Quote:Do you all know that means that the digital economy bill will be rushed thu now unless we the VOTERS tell then not to do it.

Do you seriously think the voters telling them not to do something will stop them? Lol! Grin
chris.maddock 19 3.7k United Kingdom
6 Apr 2010 1:43PM

Quote:Ok folks Gordons done it the election has been called May 8th 2010.

Er, no - it's May 6th actually!

Could have been worse, could have been May 4th Wink
jazzygf 17 537 Scotland
6 Apr 2010 2:39PM
OK OK MAY 6TH 2010
mad-dogs 18 2.2k England
6 Apr 2010 3:37PM
How many threads does the digital economy bill need?

Here , here , here , here and here

Surely it would make sense to keep all the postings in one thread?
6 Apr 2010 4:16PM

Quote:How many threads does the digital economy bill need?

Here, here, here, here and here

Pot, kettle, black - are you suggesting that no-one may post a thread about it bar you?
Phoenix 20 1.9k England
6 Apr 2010 4:20PM

Quote:How many threads does the digital economy bill need?

Here, here, here, here and here

Given that you started three of the five threads you linked to, maybe you could enlighten us ?
jazzygf 17 537 Scotland
6 Apr 2010 5:35PM
Ill post a million threads if it gets scrapped. I take a photo then I OWN the copyright and no UNELECTED Lord Mandleson is going to tell me diffrent. The labour party use to be for the working man now new labour is for big buisness. The bill states that its ok to steal my copyright but if i was to take a file or something like music or a film from the internet then the company can sue me. Not on MANDY i have had people steal my images before and unless New labour gives me legal aid i cant fight for my theft so again fols GET ONTO YOUR MP'S as soon as possabile.. 2nd reading
cambirder 17 7.2k England
6 Apr 2010 9:15PM

Quote:I take a photo then I OWN the copyright and no UNELECTED Lord Mandleson is going to tell me diffrent.

Where in the act does it say that you are going to lose CR on all your images?
lobsterboy Plus
17 14.9k 13 United Kingdom
6 Apr 2010 9:23PM
Well according to Stop43.org :

Clause 43 says that if someone finds your photograph, wants to use it and decides that they can’t trace you, they can do whatever they like with it after paying an arbitrary fee to a UK Government-appointed “licensing body”. You’ll never know unless you happen to find it being used in this way, in which case you should be able to claim some money.

There’s more. Clause 43 also introduces “Extended Collective Licensing”.

This means that if someone finds your photograph and can trace you, they still don’t have to contact you for permission to use it. They can go to a UK Government-appointed “collecting society” and ask them instead. They’ll pay an arbitrary fee and be able to do whatever they like with the photograph. Your photograph. Again, without asking you first or paying what you would have charged.

At, least, so we think - because the Bill leaves much of this undefined, unclear and to be dealt with by secondary legislation based on “consultation” that the Government can ignore. Can you imagine what this would mean if we were talking about cars rather than photographs?
cambirder 17 7.2k England
6 Apr 2010 10:17PM

Quote:Clause 43 says that if someone finds your photograph, wants to use it and decides that they can’t trace you

What it actually says is that they must do a diligent search.

Quote:This means that if someone finds your photograph and can trace you, they still don’t have to contact you for permission to use it.

It does not say that at all, and although I do think there are some serious concerns about clause 43, I also think such voices of doom are counter productive.
7 Apr 2010 6:26AM
Hear hear, Cambirder.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.