Digital Misty Filter

pigbag 19 1
8 Aug 2001 1:28AM
Hi , I am a wedding photographer who will be photographing everything in digital within the next couple of months. The one thing that would be a graat help though would be if I could add the misty filter in photoshop. I do not mean a soft filter that affects the whole frame, the type of filter I used was made from a margarine tub lid, it has a frosted almost clear quality, I would cut a small star shaped hole in the middle and could then move the hole around until the couples heads and shoulders were within the hole area and therefore not affected by the filter. The misty affect was to difuse the highlights, as the hole was jagged or star shaped there was no effect in the centre and gradualy getting stronger towards the outer edges of the photograph, giving a glowing affect to the brides dress. I could not buy a filter that would give quite the same effect and that I could move the hole around. Question..... is there a way within photoshop to get the same effect. Thanks in anticipation. Mike Cannon.
I will email a picture to you if you want but Im sure you know the affect that I mean.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

bbdigital 19 21
8 Aug 2001 1:28AM
This is easy, create a copy in Photoshop layers. add the effect or any effect you want.

Add a layer mask and mask away the bit you want clear.

If you use a soft edged brush and low pressure the amount is up to you.

No reason either why you can't save that mask and the effect and then apply it to any other picture you want. Take a look at some of my tutorials at


Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.