Turn Your Old Camera Into Cash With An Instant Quote From MPB

Digital process program

DAVID LYDIATE 18 305
4 Jul 2006 11:50AM
As some of you will know I am reading "The Magic Lantern Guide" for the 350D

The para I will refer to is quoted below
and concerns digital Image Processing..
"Once an optional program and now included with the Rebel XT, Digital Photo Professional(DPP) was developed to bring Canon Raw file Processing up to speed with the rest of the digital world. (Even Canon admitted the file viewer did not have the powere of competitive programs, yet it was their only RAW conversion program.) This program has a brand new processing engine. It can be used to process both CR2 files and Jpeg files. The advantage to processing Jpeg files is that DPP is Quicker and eaiser to use than Photoshop, yet is still quite powerful. For fast and simple JPEG processing, DPP works quite well.I believe if you are going to shoot RAW, this is a must-use program. It is fast, full-featured and gives excellent results"
My interpratation of the paragraph is that DPP is a program that you can use RAW files directly without having to convert them, as with other progs. Am I right or wrong? I suspect I am wrong as if this was the case, there would not be a need for conversion progs. I still dont understand the paragraph, and I would find it hard to imagine a better program than photoshop.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

mrcal 16 1.0k
4 Jul 2006 12:31PM

Quote:My interpratation of the paragraph is that DPP is a program that you can use RAW files directly without having to convert them

Not quite, DPP is a conversion program. I don't find it quite as good as C1 but nonetheless it does its job well and it's free. You will still turn to PS to carry out and mods and remedial work.
brian1208 17 11.8k 12 United Kingdom
4 Jul 2006 2:29PM
What I like about DPP is the fact that you can print from it. I believe that isn't possible from C1 or RSP (least I haven't found how yet).

I like its colour rendition for portraits too but the workflow is still clumsy for me.
DAVID LYDIATE 18 305
4 Jul 2006 3:04PM
Is it a conversion program that lets you print from it as well?
Eg load up RAW file after downloading from camera
Convert file to eg Tiff File, then you can print from DPP if you desier, if not load up tiff file in PS2 make alterations if necessary then print?
mrcal 16 1.0k
4 Jul 2006 3:17PM
Yes, David, spot on. Print if you want, export if you want. You can play it either way.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.