Digital SLR after10 years away!

Retired from football and looking to get back into photography.

I would love to get in to sports photography especially football and horseracing, but maybe other things such
as landscape.
I have roughly 600 do I buy a decent body then buy lens at a later date or do have enough to get both?

Thank you in advance.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

LenShepherd 10 3.7k United Kingdom
14 Jan 2018 9:45AM

Quote:
I have roughly 600 do I buy a decent body then buy lens at a later date or do have enough to get both?

Sports photography mainly involves expensive telephoto lenses.
By all means start with landscape, but accept even when buying second hand, double your budget is likely to involve significant equipment compromises for sports photography.
Euan65 Plus
1 316 United Kingdom
14 Jan 2018 11:19AM
On that budget, I'd buy a capable bridge camera such as the Panasonic FZ1000. This will give you high speed burst shooting and rapid autofocus of the kind you'd need to spend nearly ten times as much to get on a DSLR. The lens is good enough for landscapes and sports, image quality is pretty good, and you can use it fully auto, fully manual or anything in between.

If you then decide you want to get more involved, look at SLRs. Choose either Nikon or Canon for the widest range of lenses and bodies, but be aware that they can be insanely expensive. Spend the money on lenses, the camera bodies are secondary.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.