Save 15% On Excire Foto Software With Code: EXCIRE-EP

Digital SLR Photography - Digital SLR User

samfurlong 15 2.5k United Kingdom
18 Mar 2007 1:53PM

Quote: do feel tho that once you have reached a certain level, these magazines

I agree, I used to buy photo magazines a long time ago when I was starting out. I found that after about 12 - 18 months it's just the same stuff being re hashed and once you've mastered the basics the mags are pretty much redundant other than to read about / drool over the latest gear. Better to buy another magazine less focussed of equipment and techniques and more focussed on showing other photographers work or spend your cash on going to see a photo exhibition somewhere - you'll get more out of it than reading about the latest modes on the new fancy cameras.
cathal 17 492 4 United Kingdom
18 Mar 2007 2:25PM
I bought "Digital SLR User" issue 1, becasue I mistook it for "Digital SLR Photograhy". My impressions are best summed up by the fact that I haven't bought another issue of either one since. I guess both are aimed at new dSLR users who have probably had little or no exposure to photograhy before.

I was especially dissapointed by Digital SLR Photography becasue my expectations were so much higher. I really liked what Dan had done with Photography Monthly. I think I have every issue of that particular magazine. It's now very like Practical Photograhy -- I wonder why? Wink

I'm presently disposing of a huge pile of photography magazines. I'm keeping the articles of (long term) interest. It's not a huge pile, once you've chucked the "read once then bin" content. Equipment reviews? They date so quickly to be worthless, save for the possible exception of classic users in 25+ years time. Will there be a merket for "classic" digtial cameras?

I do feel that the market place will ultimatly decide the fate of photography magazines. If you've got a dSLR then you should have a computer and internet connection. For news and information, a magazine cannot compete.

I get almost all of what I need from the internet - mainly ePz and dp review - with the magazine role just for times when I'm not near a PC.

ePz? 29 a year? Bargain!
andytvcams 19 10.4k 1 United Kingdom
18 Mar 2007 3:12PM

Quote:ePz? 29 a year? Bargain!

Quote:My e2 membership expires in the next day or two, and I'm struggling to decide to renew it. I like the extra features, but 29 is a lot of money for me right now.

At the moment, I don't think I will continue, as to be honest I don't feel I gain a tremendous amount over the "free" membership.

Good to see you changed your mind.

Smile
cathal 17 492 4 United Kingdom
18 Mar 2007 3:37PM
You get a lot for free, but I was hooked on the extras. I still feel we could get a bit more for the 29... but I've justified it by reducing my magazine fix.

Guess the got me on a day (@ Focus) when I felt I could spare 29.00...

Good to be back.
18 Mar 2007 4:13PM

Quote:You get a lot for free, but I was hooked on the extras. I still feel we could get a bit more for the 29

Their might be a few surprises in V4 of Epz Smile
tepot 17 4.4k United Kingdom
18 Mar 2007 4:18PM

Quote:You get a lot for free, but I was hooked on the extras. I still feel we could get a bit more for the 29

a years supply of magazines would cost you way more and not be nearly so informative or fun.

some people are never happy, always want more!
dougv 17 8.4k 3 England
18 Mar 2007 4:26PM
Perhaps it ought to be like road tax?

Renew for 6 months or 12 months.
It would help people who don't have a spare 29 when their subs are due.

Alternatively, a coffee jar with a slot in the top and a label saying "e2 sub fund - Do not touch", and put 50p a week in it.

Doug ;o)
18 Mar 2007 4:32PM
Ive mentioned it in the past and spoke again to Pete at focus

suggesting that Epz introduces Direct Debit.so hopefully this will be implemented in the very near future.
ZenTog 19 7.9k 1 England
18 Mar 2007 4:34PM
much cheaper than the magazine much better content , oh and the rows are much more fun than in a magazine

the direct debit will be a very good idea, why not do it monthly by paypal, theres options in paypal for subscriptions etc
18 Mar 2007 4:43PM

Quote:Picked up a copy of DSLR user last month and have to say I wasn't remotely impressed

Aprils edition was not all that
Bad

Smile
dougv 17 8.4k 3 England
18 Mar 2007 5:03PM
Northwho?

;o)
tepot 17 4.4k United Kingdom
18 Mar 2007 5:57PM

Quote:Alternatively, a coffee jar with a slot in the top and a label saying "e2 sub fund - Do not touch", and put 50p a week in it.

untill you get to the last Saturday of the month and are short of 20 quid for the pub....priorities priorities Wink
18 Mar 2007 9:30PM
Pub?...

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.