50% Off Portrait Pro + An Extra 15% For EPZ Members With Code: EPZ421

Digital vs Conventional.....Get the FACTS here!

Franticsmurf 18 838 Wales
22 Oct 2002 10:23PM
JP. If you used your lens cap on a medium format lens (on average, larger front element), it's apparent aperture (and therefore effective focal length equivalence) would be less and the lens cap manufacturers would claim an increase in magnification once more!

Would a pinhole camera then be a super mega hyper telephoto lens??

Dave F
kb_mac 18 1
5 Jan 2003 5:51PM
Ignore me if you want, but I'm just getting into photography myself and was looking for convincing material to step into digital photography. My background comes from Graphic Design and therfor, 'digital' isn't a new word for me, so a natural progression for me would be to go for digital SLR's, but NO! One thing that really frustrates me about digital, is that in a years time your new gear is soooo dated and if you're a professional, then you're under pressure to keep up with the times. This is what companies love and why they push digital (well, in my opinion anyway). For example, I bought a Minolta Dimage digital camera about 4 years ago (when megapixels were almost non-existent), today, it is impossible to get my images to my iMac. The reason being, that it used the old 5V smartmedia cards. There are no 5V SM card readers out there and it uses the old serial port to connect to the computer where everything is USB now! A serial adapter is my only choice, but the camera software will not communicate with the serial adapter and will crash my computer at every attempt! Well and truly Stuffed!!!

My main point is that with traditional film, your gear will hold a decent value after 20years+ and in my opinion after seeing results from a top of the range digital SLR and and a print from film, the film seems better every time.

Digital has its purposes but I think that it's going to take a few years yet to see what part it has to play. As a graphic designer I need to digitise my images and a good, decent film scanner serves all my purposes.

Few, I'm glad to get that off my chest! AMEN!!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.