Up To 50% Off Regatta Clothing + An Extra 10% Discount With Code: MSSEXTRA10

Dilemma - next camera

User_Removed 16 4.3k 2 United Kingdom
26 Jun 2008 9:53AM
I went from a D70 to a D200 and it's a seriously worthwhile move to make.
Prices are falling because of the D300 and Ebay would probably be the place to start. Do away with the D40 and D70 and you won't regret it and yes it will improve your photography because you'll instantly get more detail in your shots, especially if you use a tripod.

Quote:Get a 50mm f/1.8, only about 60-70 on eBay brand new.

Did you look at the sort of pictures Andy takes?
A prime portrait lens isn't a lot of use in landscapes to be honest Wink
Nickscape 15 708 9 England
26 Jun 2008 10:16AM
I'd stick with the D70 if i were you, im still using the D50 but have spent the extra money i would have spent on some new lens's & filters & other equipment. Once youve improved to a high level with the new lenses etc.. you can then justify the new camera - you'll get more use out of lenses & filters than you would a new body.
Andysnapper 12 109 25 England
26 Jun 2008 11:41AM
This is why i love this site, so much friendly advice and information. I've discussed it with the financial advisor (or wife as she prefers to be known) and it has been decided to wait for 12 months, saving merrily as we go, and then look at buying possibly a D200 or even a D300 if i've improved enough to warrant it.
Thanks again to all who've responded to this thread and for the opportunity to look at all your great portfolios, you're a talented bunch.

Andy
nsrh 13 144 United Kingdom
26 Jun 2008 2:47PM
Sell the wife and buy a D3 Tongue
riprap007 16 1.6k 37 England
26 Jun 2008 2:54PM
Andy, my tactic was to upgrade from the money gained from image sales, that way it was an incentive 1. to sell, 2. to improve 3. to value the kit that I had/was stuck with 4. to realise what I needed to upgrade and what I could get away with by hiring when required.

I have a good ste up now, it took me a few years, and I realise that whilst I work full time in photography for some of the yar it's not necessarily something I'd commit myself to for the rest of the year!
Andysnapper 12 109 25 England
27 Jun 2008 9:27AM
I dont think I'd get enough for a D3, D300 maybe.... I hope she doesn't read this or I'll need a camera you can work with only one arm.
Riprap, I'm not at the stage where my images would earn enough for a disposable yet, but long term, when I've improved greatly, I would like to think i could earn enough to top up my pension, thats the plan anyway.
Problem is I've got that hooked that quickly on photography its becoming increasingly difficult to motivate myself in work Wink

Andy
riprap007 16 1.6k 37 England
27 Jun 2008 9:43AM
A good cure is to go out to a boring football ground on a cold wet miserable day in December, fire off several hundred shots, and find you've earned 50 for one photo after 1 and a half hours direct work and two hours getting out of the ground!
irishman 17 1.1k 2 Ireland
27 Jun 2008 10:17AM

Quote:Quote:I currently have a D40x and a D70 but I think I want to trade up to a D80 or even a D200.Why?

Quote:I also have a wife who does not want me to spend any more money on camera equipment. I have only been using a DSLR for about 9 months and I think maybe I should wait a while and learn more with what I've gotSounds like a more sensible option than the first...

If you want to spend the money (against your wife's wishes), it's up to you, and the D80 & D200 are undoubtedly better specified than the D40x & D70. But unless you can provide a compelling argument for needing the upgrade, I would suggest your post indicates a case of "new camera = better pictures" syndrome.

Exactly what I was thinking.
Skodster 15 902 Ireland
30 Jun 2008 8:05PM

Quote:I went from a D70 to a D200 and it's a seriously worthwhile move to make.

That's what I did and it was a good move. I have done weddings, portraits and loads of general stuff and the D200 coped very well.

Good glass is the critical element so make sure you get a decent lens such as the Sigma 28-70. I would actually go so far as to say that the lens is more important then the body.

New lens actually does sometimes mean better pictures!

Only my own view.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.