Amazon Music Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Dilemma...what would you have done?

Pete 19 18.8k 97 England
26 Apr 2004 11:37AM
I'm not sure how he managed it, but a great tit got into my kitchen through a slightly opened window. In a panic to escape from my help he flew into the window, fell to a vase and got tangled in the flower display. He was stunned so I picked him up gently in my hand. The natural reaction was to go grab the camera and get some pics, but I let him out onto the patio so he could fly off. What would you have done? He was naturally very frightened. Missed opportunity or good egg?
26 Apr 2004 11:42AM
Good egg! Only the paparazzi would take photo then help later, or rather not. Good on you
cambirder 17 7.2k England
26 Apr 2004 11:45AM
Pete,

You did the right thing. I would not have thought you missed much of an opportunity anyway, a stunned Blue Tit would hardly make for a natural looking pic

Paul
Just Jas Plus
19 26.3k 1 England
26 Apr 2004 11:46AM
Good egg - the welfare of the bird is paramount - ref the Bird Code kindly linked on another thread by Barry recently.

So we do read the info in the threads!

Cheers!
jas
keithh 17 25.7k 33 Wallis And Futuna
26 Apr 2004 11:48AM
Right thing. However, had you been a Victorian pioneer photographer, you'd have had him stuffed, mounted and snapped for posterity.
User_Removed 19 7.3k 6 United Kingdom
26 Apr 2004 11:53AM
I understand that they are nice poached with a salad.

Seriously though, you've done the right thing of course (as long as there are no moggies around!)

Barrie
26 Apr 2004 11:58AM
Barrie, perleeaase, its lunchtime, you're putting me off my rabbit fritters Wink!
u08mcb 17 5.8k
26 Apr 2004 12:08PM
Had a similar experience with a chaffinch that flew into my door, almost stepped on him. I think you did the right thing, there are many great tits in this world, and they look better when they're photographed doing normal great tit things Smile

Now if it had been a willow tit...
jeanie Plus
17 6.0k 6 United Kingdom
26 Apr 2004 12:16PM
You definitely did the right thing! (some people would ring the police or fire brigade and demand they do something - trust me on this!)
Well done for being a good lad!
Jeanie Smile
Just Jas Plus
19 26.3k 1 England
26 Apr 2004 12:19PM
Malcolm - are willow tits similar to 'willow bats'?

Quite common at The Oval and Lords amongst other places, I believe! Smile)

The English variety is very dormant and not very significant.

I believe some overseas varieties are very active to the general disadvantage of the English variety.

Correct me if I am wrong! LOL

jas
u08mcb 17 5.8k
26 Apr 2004 12:31PM
I'm from the utter North of Scotland so willow tits (and marsh tits) are a rarity to me. Perhaps I should've said long tailed.. but they're not really tits at all Smile
roxpix 17 2.2k 11 Scotland
26 Apr 2004 12:39PM
Pete, I dont believe a word of it, now if you had a pic to back up your fancyfull story Smile

Personally I keep a loaded camera in the kitchen for just this sort of eventuality.

Seriously I know it may not be the most popular answer but I would have taken the pic then helped the bird outside... no harm done.
Except when it sprained a wing signing the model release....

Alan
flossie 17 1.6k
26 Apr 2004 1:05PM
Definitely good egg for me Pete ...you can hold you head up, that's your good deed for the week :o)
User_Removed 19 7.3k 6 United Kingdom
26 Apr 2004 1:18PM
Why does this thread make me think of the thread elsewhere about the model shoot in Worksop.

I can just see Pete with a great tit in one hand .........
Nyx 18 533
26 Apr 2004 1:27PM
I would of screamed like a baby, phoned my husband up and demand that he come home right away to pick the bird up, then i would of locked myself in another room until the bird was gone! (I did this when the gerbil thing died)

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.