dirty sensor

Strobe 12 1.3k United States
31 Mar 2008 10:18PM
Hi, I wonder if anyone can please give me some advice.

Currently if I take photo with a large aperture setting eg f4 there are no dirty spots on the image. If however I select eg f22 then I have loads of spots on the image, these are consistent on all lenses. I have tried mirror lockup and a blower which has made no difference. Does this mean my sensor is dirty and if so should I take it to a camera shop to be cleaned. I have a Nikon D80
Regards
Marc

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

spt 15 89 Scotland
31 Mar 2008 10:24PM
Mirror lock-up just lifts the mirror out of the way. It doesn't open the shutter, so if that's what you've been using you will just have been blowing dust off the outside of the shutter.

I haven't used a Nikon DSLR, so I can't tell you how to do it - on my Pentax there is an option in the menus for 'Sensor Cleaning' which lifts the mirror and opens the shutter. There must be something similar.
randomrubble 15 3.0k 12 United Kingdom
31 Mar 2008 10:28PM

Quote:Does this mean my sensor is dirty

Yes, the dirts spots how up much more at small apertures. And for the second part I think it's worth taking the plunge and DIY cleaning.

Personally I use a Visible Dust brush to clean the sensor with and then if I absolutely need to I do a wet clean.

It's easy once you've done it a few times you'll wonder what the fuss was about. Smile
Davidmet 14 209 1 England
1 Apr 2008 12:27AM
Marc
Most marks on the sensor only show when using high f numbers f16 f22 .. but do not present a problem at f4, 5.6 etc.

If there are only a few it is not difficult to remove them with a soft clone brush. But is there are lots then this is a pain.

Look in your camera menu for sensor clean. Remove the lens and select. You will hear the shutter open and you will then see the sensor. Try a blower but do not touch the sensor.

I use a dust removal brush called an Artic Butterfly. I take an f22 of a bright sky or white wall and view on pc. I then clean and repeat.

It's seldom that you will remove all the marks at the first attempt and you may have to repeat a few times.

Hope this helps
Dave Smile
User_Removed 11 12 United Kingdom
1 Apr 2008 12:54AM

Quote: Does this mean my sensor is dirty and if so should I take it to a camera shop to be cleaned. I have a Nikon D80
Regards
Marc

Thom Hogan's website has an excellent page on sensor dirt and cleaning techniques - http://www.bythom.com/cleaning.htm

Ian

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.