Display Problem

RogBrown 13 3.1k 10 England
29 May 2009 4:44PM
Can anybody out there help me before I call in the professionals? If I leave the computer unattended for any length of time, when I return the screen is often frozen, with the picture broken up into hundreds of horizontal lines. The mouse pointer is still visible & moves, plus if I switch on the monitor adjustment controls, the little box appears on screen, so the monitor seems to be ok. If I put the computer into Sleep mode & wake it up again, it's ok. The monitor is a Digimate 17" TFT & I'm running XP Pro SP3. Thanks in advance.
Rog
User_Removed 11 694 3 Scotland
29 May 2009 4:49PM
First call would be to update your graphics card drivers. Just go to the manufacturers website and search for your card.

There are probably 19823 (ish) other possible reasons but that would be a good start Smile
dickiedriver 14 212 United Kingdom
29 May 2009 4:54PM
This could be a few problems.
Number One: If the monitor is new then the system may not be getting the refresh rates right, or could be to do with the display driver.

Number Two: Could be the Graphics Card Driver, try updating from the manufacture's website and see if this helps.

Does the problem occur more when using a particular program this could also be the problem.

Let me know what happens

Richard
29 May 2009 5:07PM
Thanks guys. How do I find out what Graphics card I've got? I know it's an NVidia but which one?

Quote:system may not be getting the refresh rates right

The system is not new but this may touch on another problem I've got. If I leave the computer for any length of time on the Tiscali Home Page, on return it will always show the "Internet Explorer cannot Display the Web Page" screen. If I hit F5, it usually fixes it. Could the two things be connected?
Rog
29 May 2009 5:20PM

Quote:Does the problem occur more when using a particular program this could also be the problem.

It only happens when the computer is idle, although Tiscali & EPZ are pretty well always running.
User_Removed 11 694 3 Scotland
29 May 2009 5:48PM
Graphics card info:

Start
Control Panel
System
Hardware
Device Manager
Display Adaptors
dickiedriver 14 212 United Kingdom
29 May 2009 6:51PM

Quote:
Quote:system may not be getting the refresh rates right
The system is not new but this may touch on another problem I've got. If I leave the computer for any length of time on the Tiscali Home Page, on return it will always show the "Internet Explorer cannot Display the Web Page" screen. If I hit F5, it usually fixes it. Could the two things be connected?
Rog

Rog, do not think this is connected but sounds like your router may time out thus giving the cannot display etc, but shouldn't cause the display problem try updating the graphics card the other problem maybe overheating system, check all the air vents and give a good clean if clogged.

Hope this helps

Richard
29 May 2009 7:01PM
OK thanks Richard. Will try later.
tomcat 15 6.4k 15 United Kingdom
29 May 2009 8:16PM
what screensaver are you using?
29 May 2009 8:20PM

Quote:What screensaver are you using?

Windows 3D Pipes. But I've been using this for yonks & the problem only started recently.
StrayCat 16 19.1k 3 Canada
29 May 2009 8:37PM
Rog, if you haven't already done so, do a System Restore to a date at least a few days before this started happening.

Good Luck,
Denny
29 May 2009 8:55PM
Thanks Denny, but for some reason my System Restore has stopped working.
29 May 2009 10:03PM

Quote:my System Restore has stopped working

Stopped working, or hasn't got a specific time to go back to..??

A "restore point" is usually only created by the system at the time you install some new software - in case it mucks things up suddenly - you can "restore" to that time moments before you put the new stuff on...
..or a "restore point" can be chosen/nominated/created by you at any time you like - but you can't just 'restore' to....say..... ten o clock this morning - a point won't have been created for this actual time..
Ignore me if you already knew that...!
StrayCat 16 19.1k 3 Canada
29 May 2009 10:50PM
It should also make auto random restore points.

Rog, you have a virus I'm afraid.

If you can get it started in safe mode, and then try restore, it's a long shot, but might work.

When the start first begins, eg. text on black screen, tap esc key continuously till it gives you menus to choose. Choose safe mode.
strawman 17 22.2k 16 United Kingdom
29 May 2009 11:19PM
Rog this sounds like a classic return from sleep problem between the OS and the graphics card, probably a driver problem. If you follow the instructions to identify your card, get along to the Nvidia web site to get the latest version of driver for your card, and give it a go.

To be honest I always found Xp system restore pants, the Vista one works better, could be luck who knows. But I think that is a different issue and there are lots of different issues, from the SP to the Virus software.

I found some Av software does not like SP3 introduction and found some resume problems on a PC. They were solved by taking the PC off the net, removing the Av software. Doing a re-boot, then putting the Av software back on again (to its latest version)

What you are talking about on the IE item sounds like the ISP drops your link if it is inactive. And if a page refresh solves it then all is ok.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.