Save 15% On Excire Foto Software With Code: EXCIRE-EP

DIY Auxilliary Battery Pack for Speedlights

Migster 8 108 England
23 Nov 2016 4:02PM
Hi
Has anyone successfully constructed an auxiliary battery pack for those speedlights? I have searched the web and found several projects that do this but I was really looking for something a little more elegant. I had envisaged using the existing external power supply plug with my Nikon SB910. Does anyone know the vinput voltage and polarity of the pins in the proprietary Nikon power lead ?

I have Found conflicting information regarding the input voltage. Some people say it is just 6 volts and others say it is 270 to 200 volts. Does anyone know for sure.

I have an electrical engineering background so I'm confident that if I had the correct voltage and polarity for the pins I could successfully construct an external power supply for my own use.

Just hoping someone out there has the info that I need.

Thanks

John
23 Nov 2016 4:35PM
I've modified several old speedlights to run off 6V mains adapters. I also have a small 12V battery pack that can charge two in series.

The modification consists of wooden dowel, drawing pins & wire, with very small cutouts on the battery door.

The guns were all off eBay for less than 10 and I can easily use 4 at a time in a brolly/box.
Migster 8 108 England
24 Nov 2016 11:18AM
Thanks Graham
I was thinking of doing the same for my older Vivitar flashguns using inexpensive radio triggers. Have you any tips or advice?

If anyone knows the polarity and voltage for pins on a Nikon Sb910 power lead I'd be grateful.

Thanks again Graham

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.