Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

DIY E6?

tf 17 156
26 Oct 2004 9:41AM
Just found out my local lab has ceased trading (no need for the digitalists to gloat, we'll take that as read). So, should I trust my transparencies to the vagaries of the Royal Mail and someone like Peak, or should I try processing it myself.

Please could anyone with experience of doing their own E6 processing let me know:

- how easy/difficult is it compared to B&W processing;
- do I need any extra equipment in addition to the B&W stuff I already have;
- what are the pitfalls;
- how cost-effective is it?

Thanks

Tim
michaeldt 17 1.2k
26 Oct 2004 1:38PM
i've yet to have a film lost in the post. some will tell you here that they have had the odd film go missing, however, using special delivery for any imortant shots is usually enough.
keith selmes 17 7.4k 1 United Kingdom
26 Oct 2004 1:55PM
There are some useful threads on Epz about E6, but I can't seem to get the search working at the moment.

What I've learned about d-i-y E6 so far -

There are 3 bath chemical kits, but its really a 6 bath process.

Temperature has to be very accurate.

Some people recommend using a rotary processor for best results. You can use a Jobo type (e.g. Cpe2 or ATL1000, see them on ebay) or fix up sme DIY kit.

It can be done, some say its easy and others don't, no-one says its cheaper. Always seems a bit more complicated than B&W.
tf 17 156
26 Oct 2004 4:41PM
Thanks. I suppose the fact that no-one's leapt in to share their own experiences of doing E6 tells its own story.
agoreira 17 6.0k Wales
26 Oct 2004 5:40PM
" Thanks. I suppose the fact that no-one's leapt in to share their own experiences of doing E6 tells its own story."

Yep! You're a dying breed, an endangered species! Wink

Frank
Just Jas Plus
19 26.3k 1 England
26 Oct 2004 9:46PM
See here

jas
randomrubble 16 3.0k 12 United Kingdom
26 Oct 2004 9:54PM
I have done it a few times, using the bath to get a large body of water at the right temperature. It worked every time! I'd not do it for preference, but it is satisfying, and handy If you want the images in a hurry.
Just Jas Plus
19 26.3k 1 England
26 Oct 2004 10:19PM
It is not difficult. Depends whether you like messing about with solutions, water baths and what have you.

Buy a good kit, the ones I used may not be around now, but a recent thread mentioned one - see your dealer. Keep all solutions you are going to use in the water bath - put them in their containers in the bath to come up to temperature before you start the actual processing.

Keep all vessels used strictly to the same solution each time ie label them and use the same one for the same solution that was in it last time.

Get a good thermometer calibrated in 1/2degC. Don't break it. Or a good TC (thermocouple) meter - Maplins? Wash the sensor tip before putting it in another solution if checking temps of the diferent solutions.

Try B&W reversal first - this is a doddle, and introduces you to 2nd exposure. Spiral must be (white) translucent, not solid black!

Try and keep every thing the same each time you process, for consistent results. And read the instructions thoroughly before you start, and make sure you understand the procedures before you start!

Keep everything clean and separate, before, during and after!

I guess someone will tell me things have changed!!!

jas
ron tate 16 272
27 Oct 2004 6:24AM
As stated its quite easy nowadays. Not like the old days when you had to take the film out of the solution and expose it to light.(I used a flash gun for this purpose). The main thing is watch out for cross contamination. I had three buckets for washing to prevent this. The only critical part is the first developer,which sets up the film for the rest of the run. All the others cannot be over run. Give it a go, you may be very happy with the results.
tf 17 156
28 Oct 2004 7:26AM
Thanks for all your responses. When I summon up the courage to have a go, I'll let you know how it works out.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.