Save 50% On Affinity Photo Today!

do Nikon make great compact cameras?

heard a lot about powershot/ixus lumix cybershot but not much about nikon compacts why?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

thanks just a wee bit of research looking for a new compact sort of midrange not too budget but then again not g range
dcash29 14 2.4k England
1 Apr 2011 5:49PM
Im in the same boat Ian.

Looking at all you've mentioned, many conflicting reviews and opinions don't make it easy. Sacrifices are inevitable in my opinion.
User_Removed 10 299 4 France
1 Apr 2011 6:24PM
the issue for me about compacts is the internal software... all the better ones tend to produce reasonable results straight out of the camera...due to that software...the dslr on the other hand needs some knowledge in order to get the best....I have used nikon gear for over thirty years but the most sucessful digital compacts where a contax tvs,....since traded to mifsuds and at the moment a panasonic lx3...a word of warning...if you know and love a particular image processing programme dont buy a compact that it wont work with...its an added layer of potential dissapointment...my panasonic raw files are useless in their raw processor ...in my opinion that is..as I only use it as a pocket camera on long motorbike runs its not an issue but I did buy it without prior access to their raw software...the point about who makes what is well made as you may expect a manufacturers compact to have a similar feel to their dslr and find it way off the mark....compacts are a classic compromise in my book....
User_Removed 16 17.9k 8 Norway
1 Apr 2011 7:02PM
(Some paragraphing might make that easier to read... Sad)
User_Removed 10 4.6k 1 Scotland
1 Apr 2011 7:19PM
The great thing about compacts is that owning one does not tie you in to that marque for ever, in the way that you get trapped by dSLRs.

I can't see me ever changing, now, from Nikon dSLRs because I have a couple of bodies but, much more importantly, maybe 20,000-worth of dedicated lenses and accessories.

With compacts there is no such problem. I use a Panasonic at present but could easily switch to Canon or Olympus (or even Nikon) in the future.

Read the reviews. try out the alternatives, and go for what takes your fancy - for now.
Picola 10 15 United Kingdom
1 Apr 2011 7:35PM
I found the Panasonic Lumix range quite good. Only thing is to be careful with the zoom lens. It's a bit fragile.
Trev_B 13 151 68 England
2 Apr 2011 9:53AM
I have started using the Nikon P7000 instead of taking my D700 on flights due to weight restrictions. It can produce RAW images, albeit NRW so you will need to download Adobe DNG if your PS is a few years old.

You can judge for yourself its capabilities as I took it with me to Boston and have added a number of images to an album in my PF. https://www.ephotozine.com/user-view-album/5259

It cost 379 from Jessops however Warehouseexpress are knocking it out allot cheaper now.

It has handled most things I have thrown at it and copes well with high ISO shots.

Trev
LenShepherd 12 4.2k United Kingdom
2 Apr 2011 11:44AM
I think it fair to say the Nikon P7000 (Nikon's first high end compact) is not as good as it might have been in some respects compared to the main competition the Canon G12, but it very good in some other respects - and is 7th in the EPZ rating.
If you already use Nikon Capture NX2, as many Nikon DSLR owners do, it becomes a much better option compared to the G12.
Trev_B 13 151 68 England
2 Apr 2011 12:42PM
I have not used the G12 so I can't comment on it, although it does get good reviews so it must be pretty good.

As you say Len the P7000 came 7th in the EPZ rating, however the review it appears to be based on was dated Nov 2010, since then it has undergone a firmware upgrade which appears to fixed most of the issues. I find the autofocus works well, agreed the camera takes a few seconds to save NRW files , the upgrade has improved this slightly.

I agree with you regarding Capture NX2, I must admit although I have a full copy but my preference is still PS.

Trev
dcash29 14 2.4k England
2 Apr 2011 2:50PM
Personally i wouldn't describe the P7000 or G12 as a compact
Trev_B 13 151 68 England
2 Apr 2011 3:45PM
That depends on what the industry describes as compact and I for one don't know.

If you consider one of these cameras compared to a DLSR with a 24-200 lens bolted on then I would say they are compact. However if it was put side by side to an IXUS or Nikon 5100 then it certainly isn't, but those tend to be called Pocket Sized Cameras.

For the P7000, which is one of the bulkier.. it fits in a ski jacket pocket. albeit not in it's case.

Trev
dcash29 14 2.4k England
2 Apr 2011 5:07PM
The industry used to class cameras as THIS
Trev_B 13 151 68 England
2 Apr 2011 5:34PM
You learn something new every day .. Thanks David. Smile
thanks for replies so far. i have g10 [good spec but about same weight as half a brick not much lighter than entry level dslr with small zoom[ also have very small cybershot[ auto no manual setting low light setting very short about 3 seconds] looking for something inbetween not the most expensive or cheapest in the store wide zoom rather thang long raw if possible around 10mp.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.