30-Day FREE Amazon Prime Trial - Get Ready For Prime Day 2021

Do photographers with more money take better photographs?!

keith selmes 17 7.4k 1 United Kingdom
6 Aug 2008 5:26PM

Quote:What is a "better" photograph?
I think someone else implied, in this case, one that fulfills the requirements of the competition organizers.
If they want locations and subjects that are remote from the UK, then indeed people who can afford to travel to those locations will have a better chance in that competition.
Generally I would feel thats a parochial attitude though. There are plenty of things in the UK which, from a global perspective, are pretty unique to the islands, even perhaps exotic. Sometimes they seem ordinary to people who live nearby, all the more reason to make a photograph that shows them as something special.
scottishphototours 17 2.6k 2
6 Aug 2008 6:00PM
Not initially they don't.

However, given time and experience they generally DO take better pictures than those on a meagre budget. Better kit, nicer locations and time spent working the images leads to success (especially in the amateur world of camera club competitions).

If you really want to do well in international type competitions then the following is true - "your success as a photographer is directly proportional to your disposable income". I heard this many years ago and still believe it today, unfortunately...

I constantly tell camera club members that success is down to being "sufficiently different" in the images that you produce - and there are some great examples of that on Epz.

Andy.
Graywolf 14 1.0k United Kingdom
6 Aug 2008 6:08PM
I wonder if pictures of Chipping Norton Church do really well in competitions run by the Beijing camera club and pictures of the great Wall of China just get a great big yawn.
scottishphototours 17 2.6k 2
6 Aug 2008 6:54PM

Quote:I wonder if pictures of Chipping Norton Church do really well in competitions run by the Beijing camera club and pictures of the great Wall of China just get a great big yawn.

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!
keith selmes 17 7.4k 1 United Kingdom
6 Aug 2008 8:46PM
Beijing Camera Club doesn't seem to mind so long as ladies are involved and they're free.

Beijing Photo Club is a different thing entirely, Chipping Norton Church might go down very well, especially it had a good sunset.
I'm now wondering about the chinese equivalent of a Robin photo.
Scutter Plus
13 1.7k 6 United Kingdom
6 Aug 2008 8:48PM

Quote:Beijing Camera Club doesn't seem to mind so long as ladies are involved and they're free.

Beijing Photo Club is a different thing entirely, Chipping Norton Church might go down very well, especially it had a good sunset.
I'm now wondering about the chinese equivalent of a Robin photo.

LOL
MalcolmS Plus
15 1.2k 13 England
7 Aug 2008 3:24PM

Quote:Simply being in exotic locations is no measure of quality or even inspiration.Quote this post

On the other hand, Machu Picchu at sunrise or late afternoon just makes you want to reach for a camera.
As one who luckily has been able to travel of recent years I have found that, as has been said, equally 'good' shots can be found in this country, there's nowhere better.
That notwithstanding there are spectacular shots can be taken abroad, but it entirely depends on who's behind the camera.
I have seen some really crap shots of wonderful locations taken by people who have no idea of composition, lighting etc. and I am certainly no expert.
As it happens I'm off to China in September but I recoil in horror when I see the smog in Beijing and wonder what sort of shots I will get there.
NikLG 15 1.7k England
7 Aug 2008 4:41PM

Quote:Do photographers with more money take better photographs?

Photographers with money obviously haven't spent anything on decent gear so have to use their camera phones.
Photographers without money are that way because they have spent it all on expensive gear and can't afford to pay for the petrol to go anywhere to take pictures....

So I don't reckon there's much difference Smile
User_Removed 16 4.3k 2 United Kingdom
7 Aug 2008 7:16PM

Quote:I mean how can a good picture of "The Great Wall of China" compete with your humble picture of "The Great Wall of Chipping Norton!"

I had to laugh when I read this post - more than 30 years ago I was a camera club member and it used to bug the life out of me that exotic location shots - usually an chap with a yellow turban always won the compatitions.
Seems nothing has changed.
User_Removed 16 4.3k 2 United Kingdom
7 Aug 2008 8:29PM
or even competitions Wink
Just Jas 19 26.3k 1 England
7 Aug 2008 9:54PM
I would place bets on a picture of the Taj Mahal to beat my picture of the church at Stoke Poges!!!

Must try and dig it out - just in case I'm wrong! Hmmmm......

jas
nanpantanman 17 24 1 England
7 Aug 2008 10:35PM
When it comes to competitions:
Quote:What is a "better" photograph?

Quote:one that fulfills the requirements of the competition organizers

I agree. This photo , which I don't think is particularly special, only attracted 4 clicks on Ephotozine but won me a top regional prize in the BBC Picture of Britain competition because it best fitted the interpretation of the theme.

I also don't think we should underestimate the value of learning and experience. I know that my pictures have improved as I have learnt from viewing other peoples pictures on this site and reading of their experiences. This has little to do with my income.

Kevin.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.