Save 15% On Excire Foto Software With Code: EXCIRE-EP

Do UV filters work on digital?

ajhollingbery 18 106 England
5 Jan 2005 4:55AM
In the comments in this picture the question is asked if the blue haze in the picture could be reduced and adds that in the old days filters would be used. Don't UV filters work on digital cameras? I've just bought my first digital camera (Fuji S5000) after using slides for 40 years and am very interested to know the answer to this.
ewoo 17 406
5 Jan 2005 4:59AM
I am not sure whether there is any difference but there shouldn't be, they should work the same on film and digital.

Anyway as i am sure you know you should always keep one on anyway for protection Smile

With regard to the picture i am sure a tweak in photoshop may help it.. will have a look when i get home (no photoshop at work :-p )

edd
Just Jas Plus
19 26.3k 1 England
5 Jan 2005 5:01AM
They still filter out the same wavelengths of light. This is nothing to do with the recording medium.

The digital sensor can only 'see' what is passed through to it, same as film.

Whether the sensor is responsive to UV wavelengths, and to what degree, is another matter, of course.

jas
keithh 17 25.8k 33 Wallis And Futuna
5 Jan 2005 5:01AM
They certainly do work.
5 Jan 2005 5:10AM
Thanks for that guys. I'll get out there and start shooting and keep the UV filter in place as has been the habit of many years.

Andy
gobby 17 56 United Kingdom
7 Jan 2005 5:33PM
And at the very least, you have a protected lens..
McNeilRW 16 16 Australia
7 Jan 2005 7:01PM
Be carefull with the UV filter on the S5000. It has a problem with focusing automatically with the UV filter in place. I work in a Photographic Retail store and have had personal experience with the S5000, it is a great camera but I have found that many images shot through a UV filter have focus issues. Just a tip hope it helps.

Ross...
8 Jan 2005 5:46AM
Thanks for that Ross. Does that apply to other filters do you know? I habitually use a Cokin polarized filter on my 35mm slr to improve skies and increase the saturation in colours by removing the shine off leaves, etc. I've only had the camera since Christmas and have had little chance since to do any serious work with it to test these things, but fore warned is fore armed.

Andy
Centurion 16 1.2k England
8 Jan 2005 10:37AM
I use a Hoya cir-polarizing filter with my EOS300D and it works brilliantly, I also have a range of cokin P series filters and they work fine with digital.
8 Jan 2005 3:03PM
Thanks Gavin. I'm off to Spain very shortly so I'll give all my filters a go.

Andy
loweswood 16 317 England
9 Jan 2005 3:15PM
Yes...... a filter is still a filter no matter what lens it sits in front of.
fez 17 262
10 Jan 2005 8:10AM
if you have an AF lense, and want to use a PL filter, you pretty much need to get the circ PL filter, otherwise your camera will have difficulties focusing, of course, you could just focus manually...
snapbandit 17 2.3k 3 Northern Ireland
10 Jan 2005 8:18AM
I have used linear Polariser filters with most makes of cameras in AF mode & only the Canon cameras had any trouble focussing or getting the correct exposure!.

If anyone is considering getting one, try the linear version out first (if possible) as they are generally quite a lot less expensive.

My2p

Joe B
fez 17 262
10 Jan 2005 8:36AM
well, i do love my canons....

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.