Don't Miss Out On Top-Selling Deals From Park Cameras - Find Out More

Do We Need to Relax a Bit More?

petebfrance 8 2.9k France
21 Jul 2014 12:21PM
Nope - we must remain vigilant at all times lest these manufacturers start thinking that they can get away with selling shoddy goods. Tricky lot, these manufacturers.

Quote:What's MTF?Wink

I think the 'M' is an upside down 'W'

Wink

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JackAllTog Plus
11 5.9k 58 United Kingdom
21 Jul 2014 1:05PM
When i started my hobby i thought better photo's came through better kit. Now i believe that with almost any modern camera and some decent glass you can get a good range of images and your better of understanding light and perspective.

So the MTF for glass is important with the bigger differences, and may also show that some zooms can start competing with primes sometimes.
Paul Morgan 18 19.4k 6 England
21 Jul 2014 3:16PM

Quote:I wish they'd invented M43 five years ago; I don't see it as a downgrade at all. Could've saved myself a whole load of money and would have used my kit a whole lot more because of the weight and convenience.

M4/3 has been with us for four or five years already, if you include the 4/3 format and this is what started it all, ten/eleven years.
ChrisV 13 2.3k 26 United Kingdom
21 Jul 2014 4:00PM
Panasonic launched the G1 [first m43] back in Oct 2008 - I bought my first [the GF1, as a pocketable camera with decent IQ] probably sometime early 2010 [it was released late the previous year].

I thought the GF1 was a little miracle for its time, but those first generation sensors were a fair bit behind what was around in APSc format then, both in terms of resolution and image noise. I'd argue the gap has now narrowed to such a degree it isn't much of an issue [and whilst I've held on to my 5DII, I've ditched all my APSc kit]. In the meantime there's now the choice of something even more incredibly minute in the form of the GM1, or ergonomically great bodies like the EM1 or GH3/4. It's incredibly handy to have that choice and still be able to share all the lenses you have throughout that system - which I think makes it the most flexible format available.
Paul Morgan 18 19.4k 6 England
21 Jul 2014 4:47PM

Quote:When i started my hobby i thought better photo's came through better kit. Now i believe that with almost any modern camera and some decent glass you can get a good range of images and your better of understanding light and

Once you have gained enough knowledge of light the kit barely matters, I ventured out into a snow blizzard one night with a medevil Olympus trip, I had the choice of 400 ISO film or 400 ISO film (it was all I had) a 1/40s shutter speed(the camera only had two speeds) and I used an aperture of f2.8, the pictures appeared in local and national newspapers.

I don`t see different camera`s as upgrades or downgrades, to me there just different tools.
thewilliam 11 6.1k
22 Jul 2014 11:21AM
One mentor taught me that it's my responsibility as a professional to learn and remember exactly what my kit is capable of doing, especially near the limits of its capability.

Yes it did matter that we knew that an 80mm Zeiss Planar has excellent edge-edge sharpness at f4 because, when we're doing aerial photography, we need to use the highest possible shutter speed to minimize the effects of vibration and lowest ISO for best results.

I remember a story from the late 1960s when a Time/Life photographer used a Box Brownie to cover a baseball game for a bet. He invested time to learn exactly what the Box camera could do and how he could get "creative" effects to disguise its many shortcomings. His winnings were doubled because one of these shots made the front cover.

We learn our kit and then put the knowledge to the back of our minds!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.