Enter the ePHOTOzine Christmas Prize Draw extravaganza!

Do you buy new or second hand?

joshwa Plus
9 905 United Kingdom
1 Nov 2019 8:15AM
When buying a camera or lens, or another item, do you always buy new or do you buy second hand?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

saltireblue Plus
9 9.9k 38 Norway
1 Nov 2019 8:24AM
Any item that is the least bit electronic, then I buy new for the peace of mind of a full manufacturer's guarantee.
JJGEE 14 7.6k 18 England
1 Nov 2019 9:00AM
Not recently but I have bought what was described as " a demonstration " tripod head for a nice discount on " new " price

It had only been opened instore and was in excellent working / cosmetic condition.

Back in the day of medium format I had no issue with buying second hand bodies, film backs, prism finders but always bought lenses new.
sherlob Plus
13 3.1k 129 United Kingdom
1 Nov 2019 9:19AM
Cameras I tend to buy new. Lenses, more often than not I buy used.
Snapper Plus
14 4.4k 3 Scotland
1 Nov 2019 10:17AM
There's an inbetween category of "refurbished", often directly from the manufacturer and with a full guarantee. Fujifilm are actively involved, and I've bought both cameras and a lens from them previously. My recent purchases of 1950s and 60s cameras had probably been through many hands. Wink

Quote: Refurbished products mean great deals, with significant discounts off a product's suggested guide prices.

Our refurbished products come with the same full box contents as a brand new product, including a full 12 month warranty covering any failure that occurs due to a manufacturing defect, exactly the same warranty as buying new! They are supplied in a generic refurbished box much like the one seen here.

From time to time, limited quantities of FUJIFILM products are returned to us by our retailers. Every product that is returned in this way is extensively inspected and tested by trained technicians and restored to a like-new condition.

Refurbished products may exhibit some minor cosmetic imperfections but these in no way impair products operation.

thewilliam2 2 1.3k
1 Nov 2019 10:43AM
When a full-time professional, reliability was the first priority so important kit was bought new and from a known reliable source such as Grays. Kit that wasn't going to get much use was mostly bought second-hand.

Enthusiasts can waste a huge amount of money by constantly upgrading kit. Luckily, my neophobic tendencies have spared me from the upgrading habit so I've always bought what will be needed long term. That means good quality kit which has been kept until it no longer does the job.
franken Plus
17 5.0k 4 United Kingdom
1 Nov 2019 11:06AM
I purchased a second hand Panasonic gx7 in 2015 and it's still going strong.
1 Nov 2019 11:23AM
It varies, sometimes new sometimes used.

My latest photography purchase was a used lens from Wex for my Sony A7. I will only buy used from sources such as Wex as they provide an accurate description of the state of the item and a guarantee.

I wouldn't buy used without a guarantee.

Another purchase a I've made recently is an ex demo iPhone from KRCS. Again it came with a guarantee. I don't need the most up to date so it was a good way to go.
dark_lord Plus
15 2.4k 600 England
1 Nov 2019 12:01PM
Usually new, but occasionally second hand.
LenShepherd 11 4.1k United Kingdom
1 Nov 2019 12:42PM
Usually new.
If not critical to my photography - often second hand.
banehawi Plus
15 2.2k 4051 Canada
1 Nov 2019 1:12PM
Both.
EddieAC 14 2.5k 2 United Kingdom
1 Nov 2019 1:17PM
I've bought one film csmera and three DSLR's new along with most of my lenses.

My D5000 camera was second hand and my Tamron 90mm Macro was second hand from MPB.

I generally get most accessories from Amazon and any further camera/lenses are likely to be second hand.
blue9iron 4 54
1 Nov 2019 1:27PM
Nearly always used, Harrison's cameras in Sheffield are really good and offer 12 months warranty, never had a problem.I could never afford or justify the amount of money I would have spent on my equipment if it had been new.
SlowSong Plus
11 8.4k 30 England
1 Nov 2019 1:30PM
I've bought lots of used cameras and lenses, and have never had any problems. Why pay full price when you get super stuff from MPB etc. with a 6-month warranty. I don't need all the bells and whistles of the latest gear so it'd be a waste of money paying for stuff I don't use.
thewilliam2 2 1.3k
1 Nov 2019 2:40PM
Not all second-hand dealers check their kit as thoroughly as Grays, MPB and Ffordes.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.