Save up to 360 on selected ZEISS lenses!

Do you buy new or second hand?

icphoto Plus
18 2.7k England
2 Nov 2019 10:16AM
I always buy s/h, usually from MPB or LCE.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

manxmaid 16 38 Isle of Man
1 Dec 2019 6:00PM
Cameras I have bought used but these days usually buy new, and lenses I often buy used from trusted sources.
chavender Plus
9 405 1 United Kingdom
2 Dec 2019 8:13AM
Mostly second hand from reputable sources.

thewilliam2 2 1.3k
2 Dec 2019 11:17AM
In the good 'ol days, cameras held their value if they'd been carefully treated. Alas, the value of digital camera bodies goes into free-fall so, when kit needs to be updated, we often get back less than 10% of what we paid when it was new: or less than 5% of its RRP after 6 years of careful professional use in the case of the Kodak DCS760. And that's selling privately!

Now that I'm mostly retired, I couldn't justify the purchase of anything new and digital.

Thankfully, Nikon lenses do hold their value.
kodachrome 8 723
3 Dec 2019 9:19AM
Thewilliam2, is right, digital cameras used value plummets after it leaves the camera shop shelf, just like new cars do once driven off the forecourt. I built a Sony SLT DSLR system entirely from used bodies and lenses and it served me well for several years, I got the M/4/3 bug mainly because of size and weight and my Panny GX7 and a couple of Panny lenses were all used and have given me excellent service. I usually take into account the shutter count on used cameras and go for the lowest available plus the condition.

My first DSLR ( new ) was a Olympus E-510 2 lens kit and it was expensive at the time, today no body wants it, and when they do you get offered 25, so for nostalgic reasons I kept it and still use it on occasions and it still takes the best Jpegs ever.

Some time ago now I built a Canon system from London Camera Exchange used site after careful market research, a second hand low mileage 650D popped up with latest kit lens for 200 and a canon 28-135 IS for 125, both camera and lenses give outstanding IQ, I still have it in the store room somewhere as the M/4/3 is my go every where system now.

LenShepherd 11 4.1k United Kingdom
4 Dec 2019 9:48AM

Quote: digital cameras used value plummets after it leaves the camera shop shelf, just like new cars do once driven off the forecourt.

Car makers tend to bring out a new model, slightly improved - to help keep second hand prices relatively high.

Camera makers used to do this too. They still generally do with lenses, but less so camera bodies.

More recently, with Sony taking a lead, manufacturers increasingly continue old model production at much reduced prices when bringing out a new model. This can depress the second-hand value of a 2-3 year old camera if you bought one early in the production cycle, while making good high quality second hand bodies relatively inexpensive compared to 3 years or so ago.

I understand but cannot confirm the EEC did a trade deal with Japan, reducing the import tariff on cameras by about 10% effective from February this year. Second hand prices tend to be an approximate percentage of new products. As new body prices become more heavily discounted second hand prices fall too.

As an example a Nikon D750 cost around 1,300 at the start of this year and is now down to around 850. 850 with a 6 month warranty would have been a decent second hand price on a low shutter count model 9 months ago. Maybe 450-500 second hand now?
keith selmes 16 7.4k 1 United Kingdom
4 Dec 2019 11:07AM
I have done both in the past. I bought 3 new digital cameras a little over 10 years ago. The two I used most are now well worn with plastic bits and knobs falling off, so recently I bought two 5 year old cameras and a couple of used lenses, almost as new condition and much much lower cost than new, and generally a step forward in technology. So long as there is a good choice in little used equipment, and you don't absolutely need the latest thing, there isn't a need to buy new.
Dave_Canon 13 1.6k United Kingdom
4 Dec 2019 11:09AM

Quote:

More recently, with Sony taking a lead, manufacturers increasingly continue old model production at much reduced prices when bringing out a new model. This can depress the second-hand value of a 2-3 year old camera if you bought one early in the production cycle, while making good high quality second hand bodies relatively inexpensive compared to 3 years or so ago.

As you may be aware this is called Market Slicing and has been common for consumer items (particularly Hi Tech) for decades. The initial price it pitched very high but they know some will have to have to latest whatever the cost. This period is usually fairly short. The price drops a bit and those that are keen to get hold of the item will part with their money content that the initial price dropped. The manufacturer will judge when they need to drop to a lower but steady price for the mass market. A final stage may be to drop a little more after new models come out but continue production if the item still makes a profit. I normally buy in stage 3 myself so may have to wait at least 18 months.

Stages 1 & 2 bring in important extra profit to help offset the development costs but before the end of stage 3 they should have recovered all development costs so just looking for a profit on the basic production/marketing. There are other factors as well that would influence the manufacturers strategy for a product (e.g. reputation, compatibility, position in respect of new or rival products).

Dave

ElSid 11 11 United Kingdom
4 Dec 2019 12:49PM
Most of my gear was bought used but I do occasionally buy new if the price is right and can be justified - however marginal that may be...Grin

I did take advantage of Black Friday last year to buy a new 80D at 200 off as an upgrade of the 40D I bought on a stock clearance deal 10 years earlier...
kodachrome 8 723
4 Dec 2019 1:40PM
Nearly all my kit over the years has been bought second hand, usually from camera dealers, mostly on line, rarely from E Bay, but I make sure they offer a guarantee,
Yes its a risk I take and have not been let down 'yet', Camera Jungle ( Jessops used on line ) in particular have been very good and so have LCE especially for lenses. I know Ffords have a good reputation but some of their used prices are crazy,
What I like is my local camera shop in Watford will do commission sales and are very obliging to their customers

Chrism8 13 934 26 England
4 Dec 2019 2:07PM
I've purchased quite a bit from Japan recently via Fleabay, I always boxed and excellent or above condition, I find that Japanese sellers are ultra keen to ensure the item is better than described, prices much better than UK new even after adding on the VAT and Import Duty.
thewilliam2 2 1.3k
4 Dec 2019 3:34PM

Quote:I've purchased quite a bit from Japan recently via Fleabay, I always boxed and excellent or above condition, I find that Japanese sellers are ultra keen to ensure the item is better than described, prices much better than UK new even after adding on the VAT and Import Duty.

I've also had happy experience dealing with the Japanese. They seem to have a very strong sense of honour.
steve_p 14 1.2k England
9 Dec 2019 8:03PM
I have bought nearly all my recent equipment used from MPB, I've usually done it on a trade in basis.
My last purchase from them was a Canon 700D body. It is as new condition.
It has 6 month warranty- as all their equipment is I believe.
Touch wood !! I havent had to use the warranty !!
cheddar-caveman 16 1.1k England
9 Dec 2019 9:41PM
I think MPB are a very reputable place to get good, used equipment. Right now, there's a very good Fuji XT-2 with the 100-400 lens available, mine! They shouldn't charge you much more than about 1500 for the pair!

In exchange I am buying a Sony RX10 Mk4, and I have bought new from Panamoz, saving around 500!!!

Yes, I know, "grey" equipment but what a savings. For a pensioner it was the difference of getting this camera or not. They have a very goods reputation and give a THREE YEAR local guarantee, if it goes wrong in that time they'll pay the repair!

Funnily enough my Canon 100-400 Mkll was also "grey" 😎

bobby55 9 44 United Kingdom
10 Dec 2019 2:19PM
Always used here, can't afford new, A 1985 15 Helios on a 50 2005 Sony A100 gets as good a picture as I need, put on the old plastic fantastic Cosina 100mm macro with 1:1 adapter and I'm very happy.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.