Save 50% on inPixio Photo Studio Pro

Do You Consider Your Self A Good Photographer....?

urdygurdy 12 136 3 United Kingdom
13 Oct 2008 10:21AM
My Answer:
well i really do enjoy taking photographs, and i feel pretty competent when taking phots and most of the time i am quite happy with my results & with a little editing they can also usually be improved. I feel my picture are quite good compared to some photos you see out and about.

This of course all goes out of the window when i look at your pics on ephotozine...........!!

However i do get loads of ideas & inspiration and pleasure in viewing other members work on here, and viewing other members photos which most of the time are really outstanding.

A few people have asked me when am i going pro, erm yeah right i wish, when i look at other work on here my photography is not even in the same leauge IMO

What your opinion on this question in the title....?

Daz
CathyT 15 7.3k 18 United Kingdom
13 Oct 2008 10:27AM
No.....most of the time I dislike everything I take and bin the lot....but just occasionally I'll take one that I like which for me makes it worthwhile.
KatieR 17 6.2k 6
13 Oct 2008 10:30AM
Nope.

I have one shot so far which I like and I think is technically and artistically good. That's it.

But I enjoy photography for all kinds of other reasons, so I keep trying.
conrad 16 10.9k 116
13 Oct 2008 10:33AM
No.

Just wrote about it in my blog yesterday.
joolsb 16 27.1k 38 Switzerland
13 Oct 2008 10:38AM
I certainly consider myself a 'good photographer', as in I can take pictures that are technically competent, reasonably well-composed and which some people enjoy viewing. I think that applies to most people here.

That doesn't mean I don't want to become a better photographer, though.
DaveU 14 1.4k 126 England
13 Oct 2008 10:44AM
I'm better than I was when I first joined EPZ, but I am travelling a long road and still have far to go.
Artois 14 405 1 United Kingdom
13 Oct 2008 10:46AM
Nope, I just get lucky occassionally. I am starting to venture out of auto mode and play with settings which I think is beginning to pay off.
Stella
digicammad 17 22.0k 40 United Kingdom
13 Oct 2008 11:03AM
Yes, but the day I think I don't need to improve is the day I put my camera down.
Tandberg 17 1.2k 2 England
13 Oct 2008 11:04AM
Thought i did
But lately i aint got a clue

Wish i new for sure how my stuffs coming across to others.
Dave
cameracat 17 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
13 Oct 2008 11:04AM
To be honest Daz, I'm not sure one can decide if he/she is good or bad......!

Firstly everyone has to start somewhere, So does this suggest that all the photo's taken by a newcomer to photography are bad, Making them a bad photographer......Sad

I don't think so......!

So from a personal apraisal point of view, It's a never ending quest, During which ( with a little luck & a lot of effort ) One improves overtime, It's a constant learning process......!

If one looses the desire to take a better photograph, Chances are you'll stagnate and go no further.....It's game over !

So for me, Well ! I'm still on the road, Looking for that better shot, Doubt I'll find it, But I shall keep on trying......Smile

Oh! And in a more direct answer to your question, I really don't know....Sad But I am probably a little better than when I first picked up a camera, And I can say for sure that " ePHOTOzine " has been a great source of Inspiration & Information.........Smile
Tooth 16 5.8k 227 Ireland
13 Oct 2008 11:07AM
I think people are usually too modest to say "yes" on a thread like this and rather do themselves down. Well yes, I think I am, but it's relative. I'm much better than many, but worse than a lot as well - but you always need something to aspire to..

Stephen
sherlob Plus
14 3.2k 130 United Kingdom
13 Oct 2008 11:29AM
The description I prefer to use when describing my ability is 'not bad', but this is different from been good or even average. I guess it depends where you set your benchmark. For me the benchmark is against those photographers whose work I admire, be they amateur or professional. In regard to their images I see sound composition, meaning, and importantly consistancy of standard.

When I can get the results I envisage out the camera without the need for as much PS work as I do now, consistantly, then I think I will have achieved proficiency.

Judge yourself not by how much you have achieved, but by how many measure their success by you.

Adam
Kris_Dutson 18 8.2k 1 England
13 Oct 2008 11:36AM
Ask my customers. Wink

But, as Ian says, the day I think I don't need to improve is the day I put my camera down - permanently. Smile
Lou_C 13 755 2 England
13 Oct 2008 11:39AM
No - I started off (in my opinion) at the lower end of average and am getting worse rather than better.
conrad 16 10.9k 116
13 Oct 2008 11:46AM

Quote:I think people are usually too modest to say "yes" on a thread like this and rather do themselves down.

Or it's because they're painfully aware of their shortcomings as photographers, and they're honest enough to admit it openly!

Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.