Save 50% on inPixio Photo Studio Pro

Do You Consider Your Self A Good Photographer....?

Just Jas Plus
19 26.3k 1 England
15 Oct 2008 1:46AM
Good for you, Tooth! Smile
TheViking 13 115 United Kingdom
15 Oct 2008 1:59AM
Interesting question ... Wether im good or not is not so important to me ... the reaction to my work is the only thing that matters ...
I'm beginning to think that maybe i am at least OK (I know how to create the effect I invisage) however my ability at choosing which images are good appears to be pants ... I recently got POTW with possably (in my opinion) the worsed photo in my folio, I only uploaded it because it was funny ...

I aspire to alot of other peoples work but im constantly torn between the notion that their work is better or my style is different ...
15 Oct 2008 4:47AM
I miss Ben in this thread Smile
NevP 15 853 13 Canada
15 Oct 2008 5:28AM

Quote:I miss Ben in this thread

His spirit runs through it. Smile
keithh 17 25.7k 33 Wallis And Futuna
15 Oct 2008 7:15AM
There's probably a whole stack of members who really just want to say yes but daren't

A few more who will say yes regardless of what other's think

Quite a few who will say no but actually think yes

Some who will say no in the hope that someone else will say, oh but you are.

and hundreds who just don't care as long as they enjoy what they do.
Wink
15 Oct 2008 7:19AM

Quote:A few more who will say yes regardless of what other's think

Now you made me miss Ben again Smile
Sus 16 3.2k 9 England
15 Oct 2008 8:31AM
It's all relative isn't it?

In terms of winning lots of competitions, having my 'work' (how pretentious!) displayed for appreciation, getting accolade on EPZ? No.

In terms of my friends and models expressing their pleasure at the pictures I have taken of them or their dogs; in terms of my confidence at at least turning out an acceptable picture wheras 3 years ago it would be hit and miss? Yes.

Luckily the latter means a lot more to me, but.. I do not really consider myself a 'photographer' - just as someone who tries to incorporate the skill of photography into my other passions in life.

So my answer would be, I'm relatively better than I was, but I hope to keep on improving, but I don't think anyone can ever consider themselves 'good enough' or they would stop growing.

All relative. Am I rich? Not compared to the chap down the street, but compared to the vast majority of the worlds population, yes.
ade_mcfade 16 15.2k 216 England
15 Oct 2008 9:03AM

Quote:It's all relative isn't it?

Yes - it's all relative to what my mum thinks

(see my longer post last page for details)

Smile
Windmillskies 15 183 England
15 Oct 2008 9:17AM

Quote:
Wish i new for sure how my stuffs coming across to others.

Have confidence in your own work.These were once my sentiments, I now supply two agencies with images The fact that they have given me contracts must mean my images are marketable, so I'm doing something right + I've got my first front cover for a mag this month.

Martin
agoreira 17 6.0k Wales
15 Oct 2008 10:34AM

Quote:There's probably a whole stack of members who really just want to say yes but daren't

Not guilty! Maybe "an average amateur" at best, but I know what you mean, some very average amateurs do believe they are good. I wouldn´t even say all pro´s are, not by a long way. There are lots of people turning out OK work, but I wouldn´t say they are good. Competent, yes, but for me there is a difference between "competent" and "good"

Quote:A few more who will say yes regardless of what other's think

I think they already have!

Quote:Quite a few who will say no but actually think yes

What, just because friends and family have told them so? Wink

Quote:Some who will say no in the hope that someone else will say, oh but you are.

Very true.

Quote:and hundreds who just don't care as long as they enjoy what they do

That's me, in a nutshell! Wink Never happier than when out walking the coast path locally, taking a few snaps. When a few sell, even better, but I'm under no illusion that I'm not doing anything that thousands of other amateurs couldn't do. Just had an e-mail from the father of the bride of a wedding I did 2 weeks ago (for free, of course), saying the photos are "fantastic". Now, I know they aren't fantastic, and compared with a good wedding tog, they probably aren't even good, but I'm pleased that he is so delighted with them. Still doesn't make me a "good" photographer though, but I'm happy where I'm at. Wink
Hugeknot 16 1.2k 2 Iceland
15 Oct 2008 11:32AM
I am good, but could do better - the sentiments that ran through all my school reports. My pictures are published in some form or another on a regular basis, so I can't complain.

It is just that my personality stinks.
sherlob Plus
14 3.2k 130 United Kingdom
15 Oct 2008 12:48PM

Quote:Some who will say no in the hope that someone else will say, oh but you are.

Does this define insecure?

It reminds me of the old proverb...

Theres the way you see yourself
The way others see you
And the way you actually are.

Definately relative.
ade_mcfade 16 15.2k 216 England
15 Oct 2008 1:11PM
la la la
PWhittle 14 176 United Kingdom
15 Oct 2008 3:25PM
I'd say good-ish, but it's all relative (It's just taken 9 attempts to log in...)

I only picked up a camera 3 years ago, and if I try to judge my work objectively, it's as good as the 'average' social photography I see on my frequent trawles of the 'competition'. However, I am hugely competitive, and am driven mainly by the need to be recognised as being good at something (narcissistic?).

The BIG BUT is that I look at the really top social togs' work, and feel like I'll never get there - there being where I want / need to be. I see wedding togs churning out mediocre dross, and presumably getting bookings, and know I can do better.

Outside the portrait / wedding circle though, there are many examples on here who I'd bow down to. I don't pretend to be a natural, I don't have a great eye for composition (after just 3 years though I'm not beating myself up!), but I need to concentrate on what sells, and most 'interesting' stuff doesn't.
KatieR 17 6.2k 6
15 Oct 2008 4:17PM

Quote:I'd say good-ish, but it's all relative (It's just taken 9 attempts to log in...)

ROTFL!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.