Do you have a question for the EIZO team of experts?

Attention!

This topic is locked.

Reason : This forum is no longer supported

13 Oct 2014 10:22PM

Quote:Thanks for taking the time to respond - I am setting the monitor brighter to match the prints - but I've reached the maximum recommended brightness of 120 cd m2 - it is possible in CN to increase the range but its "not recommended" what I'd like to know is what is the downside of increasing the range - will it shorten the life of the monitor or perhaps affect colour accuracy ?

Please don't, assume the 120 cd/m^2 is the red line on a rev counter not to be passed or it will cost .

The effect will be; poor uniformity and lightening black level; over prolonged periods it can damage the screen.

Victor

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

13 Oct 2014 10:31PM

Quote:Having just read your other reply, I'm a bit worried that you've got Spyder software still installed, have you fully disabled it? Have you tried resetting printer driver to default, got rid of any custom gamma curves etc etc. Checked your video driver isn't overriding things? (Many of those have gamma controls now)

Thanks, yes, I've disabled it. 120 in the room I'm in is too bright for general use - I only use it for Photo editing. The room is quite dark. The video driver should be loading the profile that CN has produced into the video card & CN loads the profile into the monitor LUT so I think that there are no video issues. Maybe I can try using another video card to see what happens. I've just recalibrated at a target of 130 and the prints are just a little too bright. So maybe I'm almost there ... The printer has been reset to default, both on the unit & in the driver. How does one go about getting a paper white setting in CN ?

Also do you know of an approved video adapters for EIZO ? Reason I'm asking is that I'm shooting in Adobe RGB & when I import RAWs into LR I get Monitor Gamut warnings - the monitor has been set up with CN to emulate Adobe RGB & this should be reflected in the monitor profile ... but lightroom says parts of the image are out of gamut. I don't see why this is. I believe I get 8 bit colour with the DVI connector I'm using - there's no displayport connector on my Video card and as I understand it, one needs a displayport connection to get 10 bit colour. I'm happy to get another adapter with a displayport connector but it would need a 10bit path through it to reap the benefit ...
Does anyone from EIZO actually monitor this forum ?

If you are soft proofing then the gamut warning is for the printer, otherwise please let me know where your setting the warning and I'll check?

You don't need 10 bit and very little software supports the deeper bit depth, more common in video where it matters more as movement makes the tone contours visible.

Victor (from EIZO)
13 Oct 2014 10:37PM

Quote:Nik, considering the amount of questions, very low really, I think Eizo could have somebody who logs in every day or two and answers any queries. Looks better for them if things are solved faster and better for the person who asks, wins all round; rather than the bulk approach which probably doesn't save as much time as imagined?

Thank you Chris, I heard you Smile and will do my best to answer the questions, as you can see it really needs to be a conversation. If you keep an eye on this list you can drop by for a chat, bring a memory stick with some images too...

Victor
14 Oct 2014 11:54AM
Thank you for your input Victor Smile
14 Oct 2014 1:32PM

Quote:Thank you for your input Victor Smile

Your Welcome Smile
aiken 4 1
17 Oct 2014 2:32PM
Hello
I'm a Newbie about color management.

I have an Eizo CG276, Iuse it with a laptop Dell, where I had installed Spyder3Elite software.
I always calibrate the EIZO with ColorNavigator 6 with only its own internal sensor. (Never calibrated with Spyder)
Of course the laptop display is calibrated with Spyder 3.

So I calibrate the above screen using Color Navigator 6 and its internal Sensor. I saw that colour navigator also write a .icc profile to the PC and set this as default colourspace for the GPU?
I saw that photoshop use this icc to display images. Other SW didn't use. If I remove the icc from windows color management photoshop display like other Softwares.

I have few question:
1) The monitor calibrated with the Spyder 3 always look different from the Eizo. Can I do something to better match them?
2) Do I need to disinstall Spyder3Elite? Why?
3) Do I need the icc as default for the EIZO saved in windows color management? (Maybe you already answer to this, just a double check)

Thanks for your help
18 Oct 2014 1:00PM
Hello Aiken,

Question 1: First, your laptop screen is not designed to be colour accurate so none of the components have been chosen to fulfil a photographers needs. Second the specifications; colour space, back light, tone control will be different between the two monitors, so it is impossible make your laptop look remotely like the EIZO ColorEdge CG276.

However, you can create a profile on the EIZO to match the laptop, but you didn't buy a top the range EIZO to match to your laptop sure.

Question 2: The answer is probably yes, I'll explain. Most video cards can only support one gamma curve so you can't have two applications adjusting one curve, the result is chaos. I would recommend keeping ColorNavigator and not trying to calibrate the laptop.

Question 3: The answer is simple, your applications on the computer needs to know the configuration the monitor. Without that information Photoshop or Capture One for example, would not be able to display accurate tone or colour.

The ColorNavigator agent then ensures the the video card gamma curve remains identical to the hardware calibrated curve in EIZO ColorEdge monitor. This is because the consistency is important for accuracy.

Hope I've made this clear, let me know if I've misunderstood?

Victor
Grollaz 4 2 Italy
21 Oct 2014 12:02PM
Hi, i have buy a new EIZO CX241, as advised from eizo, i have do a calibration with my Spyder4 Pro, the result is thatnow all the color are slightly toned green, anyone have any idea of the possible reason?
22 Oct 2014 6:28AM

Quote:Hi, i have buy a new EIZO CX241, as advised from eizo, i have do a calibration with my Spyder4 Pro, the result is thatnow all the color are slightly toned green, anyone have any idea of the possible reason?

Hello Grollaz,

How old is your Spyder 4 Pro?

Are you calibrating under a bright florescent light?

When Colrorimeters begin to fail they measure wither green or magenta, but this normally takes two to three years! If you can get to the ShootLDN click here event I can do a quick check for you and DataColor are at the event too.

It maybe that the Spyder 4 Pro needs to be replaced, sorry Sad

Victor
Grollaz 4 2 Italy
22 Oct 2014 2:03PM

Quote:Hi, i have buy a new EIZO CX241, as advised from eizo, i have do a calibration with my Spyder4 Pro, the result is thatnow all the color are slightly toned green, anyone have any idea of the possible reason?

Hello Grollaz,

How old is your Spyder 4 Pro?

Are you calibrating under a bright florescent light?

When Colrorimeters begin to fail they measure wither green or magenta, but this normally takes two to three years! If you can get to the ShootLDN click here event I can do a quick check for you and DataColor are at the event too.

It maybe that the Spyder 4 Pro needs to be replaced, sorry Sad

Victor

Hi, thanks, my spyder4 have only one year of life, i have try it with other monitor (eizo s1910, lg, dell and other) and works fine.
I have try to calibrate my CX241 monitor with light on and in a dark room, but the result is the same.

If i use the original calibration of the monitor, like Adobe RGB mode (for now is the best solution), i can consider the color true, or i have to calibrate anytime it for to have the real correspondance of color with the reality?

Thanks.
22 Oct 2014 10:44PM
Hello Grollaz,

OK, if the Factory calibrated Adobe RGB is good to your eye, then maybe it is the target you have selected to calibrate. So I'll share a target for you to download and calibrate and do a validation report. Please follow the instructions here:

1, Download Adobe 98 target - click here
2, Open ColorNavigator
3, Click on the Advanced button
4, Select Import Target and choose the file you downloaded in step one (Adobe 98 120cd 6500K 2.20.cntarget)
5, Click Adjust and run the calibration with your Spyder 4 Pro
6, At the end of the calibration click the tick box in the lower left that says 'Validate'
7, At the end of the validation process make sure show results is ticked
8, save the result as a pdf and email me the report

What I expect is this Adobe target will look the same as the factory target, if not then the report will give me an indication of what needs to be done.

Victor
pauls898 4 1
18 Nov 2014 12:17AM
269302_1416269727.jpg

269302_1416269769.jpg

I took delivery of my Two New Ezio CX241 Monitors a few days back, I thought everything was fine, however it wasn't until I started doing some Photo editing using Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Lightroom at Full Screen Viewing I was starting to notice a colour banding problem down both vertical edges on Both Monitors of 6 mm wide!

It's very subtle as under normal Windows use this defect is masked by the side scroll rulers which run up and down the sides of the screens, hence I didn't notice there was a problem at first, however once I start editing some photos at FULL Screen I was noticing a highlighted strip about 6 mm wide running vertically on both Monitors on both Left and Right hand edges, though the Right Hand Side is a lot worse on both monitors but they are identical in both cases.

It can be hard to see at first, but if you view the attached images at full screen and stand back a bit I'm sure your notice what I'm talking about?

I thought at first it was a reflection from the side Bezel but it's not as it's still there even with no daylight falling on the screen edges, or placing some matt black card against the edge of the screen.

On the grey background it comes across as a slight Pinky Orange tint highlight of about 6 mm wide which fades out, so has no defined edge to it.

On darker colours it doesn't show up so it's not the Back Light Bleeding through the edge? Two New Ezio CX241 Monitors a few days back, I thought everything was fine, however it wasn't until I started doing some Photo editing using Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Lightroom at Full Screen Viewing I was starting to notice a colour banding problem down both vertical edges on Both Monitors of 6 mm wide!

It's very subtle as under normal Windows use this defect is masked by the side scroll rulers which run up and down the sides of the screens, hence I didn't notice there was a problem at first, however once I start editing some photos at FULL Screen I was noticing a highlighted strip about 6 mm wide running vertically on both Monitors on both Left and Right hand edges, though the Right Hand Side is a lot worse on both monitors but they are identical in both cases.

It can be hard to see at first, but if you view the attached images at full screen and stand back a bit I'm sure your notice what I'm talking about?

I thought at first it was a reflection from the side Bezel but it's not as it's still there even with no daylight falling on the screen edges, or placing some matt black card against the edge of the screen.

On the grey background it comes across as a slight Pinky Orange tint highlight of about 6 mm wide which fades out, so has no defined edge to it.

On darker colours it doesn't show up so it's not the Back Light Bleeding through the edge?

It seems to show mostly on brighter colours like white through to lighter grey colours, however I could see it on a Purple screen background so I included that on the images taken.

I have attached two images.

1 Whole Purple Screen
2 Corner Right Top Portion from the Purple Screen

It's strange it's on Both these monitors so I can't see as it's a fault, unless they are both faulty with a manufacturing defect of some sort?

I don't wish to be without the monitors as I need them for my photo editing as I have since returned my Two Dell Ultra Sharp Monitors for uniformity backlight and IPS Glow issues but I never had any edge Banding issue on those so it's not like it's due to a faulty Graphics Card on my computer?

These Eizo's are miles better than the Dell's I was using before, but as you can imagine having now paid out over twice as much and over 1,600 for the pair I expected them to be perfect and this banding down the edges doesn't meet with my requirements for that sort of outlay and not what I expected from a Monitor of this price Sad

I look forward to what you think is causing this banding down the vertical edges?

Thanks

Paul

TanyaH Plus
16 1.3k 395 United Kingdom
18 Nov 2014 12:43PM
I'd also be interested in the response to Paul's query above, as I've just collected my new CX241 ... I haven't plugged it in yet, or even taken it out of the box yet, but forewarned is forearmed, as they say Smile

Tanya
18 Nov 2014 8:31PM
Hello.

We are checking the issues Paul has experienced with him directly and I'll let you know how we progress. Issues like this are not always simply the monitor at fault so we will work through a diagnostic process to isolate the cause to get things working asap.

Cheers

Victor
TanyaH Plus
16 1.3k 395 United Kingdom
19 Nov 2014 11:13AM
Okay, this is going to sound like a real donut question, but ... I've just changed to the Eizo CX241 from a LaCie CRT monitor. Currently, the CRT monitor is connected to the PC via a DVI cable.

With the new Eizo CX, which cable will give me the best results in terms of quality? Should I use the DVI one like I'm currently using? Or should I use the HDMI cable? The only thing it's used for is image editing - I don't do gaming or anything like that on it.

Like I say, a donut question and probably a really basic one that I should know the answer to ... but I don't ... not definitively, anyway Smile

Thanks
Tanya