Start your photography store - 30% off Picfair Plus!

Do you have a question for the EIZO team of experts?

Attention!

This topic is locked.

Reason : This forum is no longer supported

Siamic 3 4
11 Jun 2016 11:13AM
Hi Victor
Thanks for your response. I live in Thailand, and the Eizo distributor here claims that there is only a 3 year warranty on the LCD panel. Amazingly, they said the fault was the LCD panel even though the symptoms indicated to me that the fault was the power supply or inverter, and these have a full 5 year warranty. I have no confidence either in their honesty or ability. After two months, they are still awaiting the required part. They say. This is why I am seeking a second opinion on the symptoms of the fault. It is immensely disappointing and damaging to the Eizo brand.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

11 Jun 2016 11:48AM
Hello Pete,

Please privately send me your contact details and serial number of the monitor and any repair reference. I will then check this out for you, OK?

Victor
Siamic 3 4
5 Jul 2016 4:30PM
Just has a new LCD panel put in an Eizo Flexscan SX2462W (which took 90 days in Thailand). Calibrated with i1 Display Pro and X-Rite iProfiler after warm-up. Reds much too saturated - something I had noted in the old panel too. No Adobe Gamma present. Any ideas for a fix?
5 Jul 2016 11:09PM
Please accept our apologies that it took so long to get your monitor repaired.

The reds won't be too saturated, as there are two details here, first, the monitor is showing you the standard red primary of the screen and not the red primary of the Adobe gamut. Also, your software needs to be displaying colour to match the monitor's gamut, if it fails to match the color to the monitor then it will appear oversaturated. If you select the (M) mode button and choose sRGB you will see the saturation reduce.

Adobe RGB is available by using the EIZO EasyPix software and selecting Adobe RGB as the desired gamut, as described in the user guide on page 28 . The X-Rite software is not controlling the SX2462W's hardware color management controls so unable to limit the monitor to the primaries required to match Adobe RGB, or P3 or sRGB.

Hope that gives you some ideas...

Cheers

Victor
efreetcs 2 1
17 Aug 2016 10:26PM
Hello,

I got some questions about calibration with EIZO ColorNavigator... With i1DiplayPro, with xrite software. And a CX271 Eizo screen.
- Whatether the setting I choose in the ColorNavigator (Gray / Standard / Contrast), the rendering is always the same at the end, is this normal ?
- While calibrating with ColorNavigator, i got at the end a cold temperature. I put 6500k in the settings, and do the entire calibration. While mesuring the temperature with other software (DisplayCal / i1Profiler), they give me 7000+K. Why ?
- If i do a reset of my screen, and if i select for example adobe98 / 6500K in the screen settings... If i mesure, it gave me 7000K+ instead of 6500K (with displayCal and i1Profiler).
- When editing the icc profiles created by colornavigator and opened in Profile information from displayCal, the "calibration curves" are always linear (linear chanel for RGB : Yes). But profiles with displayCal and i1Profiler are not linear. Don't know if there is something wrong or if it's ok.
- When calibrating with ColorNavigator, shadows are more strong than the calibrations made with displayCal/i1Profiler... Why ? (with and without BPC, this option is not the problem)
- Is the i1DisplayPro supported fully completely by colornavigator ?

Thank you ! Grin

Siamic 3 4
18 Aug 2016 6:27AM
Hi Victor,
I don't understand your reply. I am using X-Rite i1 Profiler, i1 Display Pro and Eizo Screen Manager Pro for LCD Version 3.2.0, setting up for 6500K, gamma 2.2, Adobe RGB 1998, 120 luminance. I have used Eizo for 10 years. Are you saying this combination has some problem that EasyPix can solve re the reds being too saturated after calibration on a Flexscan SX2462W?
19 Aug 2016 11:17AM
Hello Efreetcs,

First, can I go back to the basics, what sort of work are you doing with your CX271 and where are you going to use the output?

Your questions have me confused as you seem to be using three colour management applications, maybe I have misunderstood you but that will not work. You need to use just ColorNavigator because it communicates with the monitor to control the colour in the monitor hardware and not on the video card output, also setting the ICC profile to match the image path from loaded picture to screen, this is one of the main reasons EIZO ColorEdge monitors are so accurate.

Both i1Profiler and DispCal will set a profile for the monitor in your computer when you calibrated, this will confuse any readings you're taking from the monitor because you cannot be sure of the operating system settings for the colour patch you are measuring.

The way ColorNavigator and DispCal / i1Profiller work is very different. With ColorNavigator the ColorEdge monitor controlled to display the selected colour target and this is set in the monitor hardware, the video card is set to match the monitor. With DispCal and i1Profiler the colour is controlled in the video card and the monitor is uncontrolled, this is why the ColorEdge monitor with ColorNavigator is more accurate because the colour space is controlled through the process.

+ There are differences between Gray / Standard / Contrast, though the difference is subtle
-- Personally I find Gray has slightly deeper blacks
-- Contrast is not measuring the tone curve
-- Please leave the target in Standard to get the best all purpose calibration

+ Why are you measuring 7000K?
-- I suspect because you have too many colour management applications active
-- Following a monitor reset, the answer is as aboveÖ

+ The ICC profiles will be different because ColorNavigator is controlling the monitorís output and no adjustments need to be made on the computerís video card

+ The shadows are defined by the gamma curve in the monitor, this can be adjusted if you wish using a custom LUT, but ideally needs to match your rendering intent and the output you are intending to use, DispCal and i1Profiler have no control over the gamma curve in the monitor so are manipulating the curve in the video card, only ColorNavigator please

+ Yes the i1Display Pro (i1D3) is supported, if your Colorimeter is over three years old it might need replacing?

To be sure your monitor is performing correctly then do a validation report in ColorNavigator and if you would like my opinion, please send me the PDF report.

Cheers

Victor

19 Aug 2016 12:27PM
Hello Siamic,

If you calibrate with I1Profiler the colour space is controlled by the software displaying your image, Photoshop for example. If you image is in Adobe 98 RGB then Photoshop will limit the colours to the correct Gamut, however, when not displaying the image in a colour managed application the colours will not be accurate and not limited to the values of the desired colour space. This is why you are seeing a deeper red etc.

With the EIZO EasyPix software, you can define the colour gamut of the monitor to match the Adobe 98 RGB or sRGB colour gamut, this way your images will always be in the desired colour space. See page 28 of the user guide here: http://www.eizoglobal.com/support/db/files/manuals/00N0L458P1/Manual-EN.pdf

If you only use sRGB, then choose this setting on the monitor by pressing the (M) mode button and then calibrate with thei1Profiler software as the monitor hardware has limited the colour gamut for you to sRGB.

Hope Iíve made it clear this timeÖ

Cheers

Victor
ivano 2 1
25 Aug 2016 2:30PM
Hello Efreetcs, Victor

I got exactly the same observation with my new EIZO CS2420.

I state that, at the moment of the observation, I have not installed ColorNavigator yet, and there was any installed profile at OS level.

In the "Color (Custom)" EIZO CS2420 menu, after reset, I read the following parameters: Brightness 36%, Temperature 6500K, Gamma 2.2, Color Range Native.
Then, in order to check what was announced by EIZO, I performed the uniformity test with the "i1-Pro Display / iProfile (1.6.6 version)" and I got about 7200K, as you see in the picture.

297637_1472129992.jpg

This measurement is performed with the "White Diode" parameter, for the backlight of the screen.
If I change this parameter to "Wide CCFL gatmut", or "RGB LED", then it's a little better, and I get a measure of about 6800K. In any case I found that the measure of i1Display Pro colorimeter is affected by the backlight technology selected in the i1Profiler software. I made several tests by changing this backlight parameter, and I got different values depending on the type of backlight I select.

So, I have uninstalled i1Profiler and I installed and used ColorNvigator to calibrate the screen to 6500K / 80cd. With pictures that I always use after a calibration as a visual reference, result is correct to my eyes.

My conclusion is that there is no problem with my EIZO CS2420, the parameter "backlight" clearly influences the i1Profiler measurement, and probably ColorNavigator knows better how to manage internally the relationship between the technology used by EIZO for the screen backlight and the i1 Display Pro colorimeter.

Cheers

Ivano
Sue_T 2 2
31 Oct 2016 8:58PM
Hi,

I recently purchased the EIZO CS2420 monitor. After reading the manual, and being new to the ColourNavigator 6 software, I went on-line to gather further information...that is where I found several videos from Victor Aberdeen (very helpful), as well as several other articles from various people. I now have a few questions in creating a new target.
1) Monitor gamut - should you calibrate your screen to the full native monitor gamut or Adobe RGB? With the CS2420, is there much difference between the two?
2) Brightness - 90 cd/m2 I know this value is dependent on the brightness of the room you are working in.
3) Black level - how we control contrast. Some say leave it alone, or use 0.4 cd/m2. Reason, 90 cd/m2 (white point) divided by 0.4 gives you 225. Essentially, we are setting the contrast ratio of the monitor to 225:1. Why, because the contrast of prints on paper ranges from about 160:1 to 225:1. This makes soft proofing easier. So we set the contrast of the monitor to be much closer to the contrast of paper.

I do own a i1 Display Pro, and I am using a Mac.

Any suggestions appreciated.
Thanks you
Sue
31 Oct 2016 10:27PM
Hello Sue,

There are some very strange answers on the internet Grin I'll answer your questions with some explanations to give you the background to why the recommendations...

1) Choosing a Gamut: Recomend Adobe RGB.
The reason for this is simple, if you shoot RAW (which you should) then the colour gamut of the camera is going to be defined as Adobe RGB, this gives you a base Gamut. Some people prefer sRGB, which is smaller and you can use sRGB in the workflow, but you should not convert to sRGB without understanding what colour you are changing by shrinking the gamut. Others might recommend ProPhoto, this is a huge gamut without any reference to either camera or output print or display. Additionally, it can cause issues when you reduce the gamut to an output space because you have edited colour outside the gamut you can see. Wow, that's a heavy paragraph, hope it makes sense, the key is simple, consistency through the process.

2) Brightness - 90CD/M^2, maybe
This is about the illumination, but where you view your prints, not the room. The ideal test is to take a reference print and the file it was printed from, review the monitor and the print and if they both appear to be approximately the same illumination then your are in a good place. Please don't try to measure this with a meter, it is how you perceive the two representations of the image.

3) Black level is the level of neutral density applied against the backlight, contrast is defined by the gamma curve or LUT.
Sorry, don't know where you found this idea but it is simply wrong, as an easy rule, set the monitor to display the very best view of your image, your monitor is capable of a contrast ratio over 700:1 calibrated. If you want to soft proof then you should use the correct ICC print profile for the printer, ink set and paper/substrate this will then allow you to compare the original and the soft proof of the image with the appropriate contrast for that material. This can be simply done in Lightroom for example.

Please leave the black level set to minimum.

Finally, there are no right answers, the key is to work in a consistent process so you know what to expect and how to deliver your pictures the way you want them to be, with no surprises!

Hope this helps?

Victor Aberdeen - chroma.xyz

Sue_T 2 2
1 Nov 2016 1:08AM
Hi Victor,

Thank you for the quick response!

I am a wildlife and action sports photographer, and yes I do shoot RAW. My workflow is very simple, I use Photo Mechanic 5 to ingest my photos, export to Canon's Digital Photo Professional 4 for raw conversion (in my opinion, there are several reasons why Canon DPP is most effective, opposed to third-party RAW converters), then bring the converted TIFF into Photoshop to be optimized.

I will definitely use your recommendations for gamut, brightness and black level.

I do have one question regarding soft proofing. When you mention to use the correct ICC print profile, do you mean a custom profile which has been specifically measured for my printer, ink, and paper?

Thank you again for all your help.

Sue

P.s Here is a link to the web site where I found the information.
https://imagescience.com.au/knowledge/how-to-calibrate-an-eizo-coloredge-monitor-using-colornavigator

1 Nov 2016 1:07PM
Hello Sue,

The ICC profile for both soft proofing and printing should either be a custom one created for the printer, paper and ink set of maybe downloaded from the paper makers website.

Thank you for the link, I'll have a read...

Cheers

Victor
Marbles99 2 3
4 Nov 2016 3:39PM
My husband and I both have CS240 monitors and use ColorNavigator 6. We've been using our screens for a couple of years, but since we moved to Windows 10 this year, we've both been getting the message "Calibration data not loaded on to Graphics Card" at Start Up. Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
7 Nov 2016 9:59AM
Hello Marbles99,

This may be a simple solution, you should be using the latest version of ColorNavigator 6, which is 6.4.15 if you need to upgrade follow this download link http://www.eizoglobal.com/support/db/products/download/634 .

Let us know how you get on?

Cheers

Victor