Save up to 360 on selected ZEISS lenses!

Do you need this!

ARI 17 537 United Kingdom
28 Sep 2019 2:22PM
Bet many have had this 'Who needs that' flunfg at them' following an indulgent aquisition. I have had this put to me many a time following the acquisition of a EOS 5DS R. My answer was I DO, as I can view detail of the subject and as a photo enthusiast, I get lots of pleasure, fun and more importantly, I can. Same enjoyment of owning a Ferrari, do not need it BUT the pleasure would be immence. Not that I could/would be able to enjoy such an indulgence.
I came across this article by a South African wildlife photographer on his experiance of using an Eos 5DSR. He has included some photos tha included crops that are impressive. Worth a read.

https://www.grantatkinson.com/blog/using-the-canon-5dsr-for-photographing-african-wildlife#!prettyPhoto

My primary forte for the hobby is wildlife. Before he purchase, I was being advised tat this was not a camera for wildlife and it belonged in a studio. After using, the advise is a load of nonsence. It is an exellent tool for capturing wildlife. It does not have the frame rate for capthring birds in flight, but it is not against the camera's religon to capture wildlife. The above link expands on this.. People with vested intrests have the need to pidgon hole things.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

dark_lord Plus
15 2.4k 599 England
29 Sep 2019 11:16AM
Interesting article, though I didn't wad through it all.

Quote:People with vested intrests have the need to pidgon hole things

Exactly, not to mention the armchair 'experts' and the marketing hype. Put the effort into learning your camera and learning fieldcraft, that's the key.

The 5DSR is a fine piece of kit, enjoy.
30 Sep 2019 11:00AM
I upgraded to the 5DSR from the original 5D. On looking through previously taken photos, wished I had the 5DSR then.
Vested introits, I refer to folk who have set themselves as pundit, local experts and supported persons from affiliated sales organisations who tend to push product/service/etc. Not entirely unbiased. Sorry for rant, just got tired of the 'who needs this' brigades.
Rant aside, the camera has forced some disciplines back, ie pushing one's luck with creating un sharp images. Also now need a new laptop/desktop to handle 80mp RAW files. My existing machines are now soooo slow. Processed one portrait of a giraffe's face, taken at approximate meters, detail lived up to expectation. Any suggestions on specification to look for.
Thanks
21 Oct 2019 3:05PM
I jusst watched this interviw about this camera and was very interestinh. There were two experts in the interview, one a pro fasion/beauty/product person, the other a technical/pro from Canon USA. The intrview was osted by B&H, New York and was very informa specifically about Canon 5DS/R, the subject about Canon, it applis to any high mega pixel camera.tive and in places eye opening. Although .
My view is YES you need it. The possibility of 30x20 prints with no interpolation, drool, drool........
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVpJX9sHacM

Enjoy

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.