Do you post in mono?

Carabosse 17 41.4k 270 England
27 Jun 2020 4:54PM
If photography had been in colour from its inception, mono would be no more than a very rarely used special effect, like filters in Photoshop. Discuss!Tongue

Use mono very occasionally. It's actually quite useful to disguise horrid digital noise!

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

dark_lord Plus
16 2.6k 683 England
27 Jun 2020 5:25PM
Recently more than 50%, but you're welcome to do a complete audit and let me know the result Smile

Quote:If photography had been in colour from its inception, mono would be no more than a very rarely used special effect, like filters in Photoshop. Discuss

I did so in a blog post last year.
Carabosse 17 41.4k 270 England
27 Jun 2020 11:44PM

Quote: I did so in a blog post last year.

Link? Smile
28 Jun 2020 8:56AM
thanks for replies
dark_lord Plus
16 2.6k 683 England
28 Jun 2020 12:17PM
28 Jun 2020 1:37PM
I would like to ask those who prefer mono - Do you dream in Mono?
hobbo Plus
9 1.6k 3 England
28 Jun 2020 2:24PM

Quote:I would like to ask those who prefer mono - Do you dream in Mono?

Only if you were born pre WWII like me....... 🤓

Hobbo
Alfie_P Plus
13 512 2 United Kingdom
28 Jun 2020 3:02PM
I prefer b&w / mono ,I post over 60% for sure. Both colour and b&w / mono have there place though😊

😎
28 Jun 2020 5:30PM

No, I mostly dream in 2-channel Stereo, but occasionally also in Dolby 5.1 Surround.
saltireblue Plus
10 10.8k 63 Norway
28 Jun 2020 5:38PM

Quote:

No, I mostly dream in 2-channel Stereo, but occasionally also in Dolby 5.1 Surround.

I dream in Norwegian....
mrswoolybill Plus
13 2.2k 2247 United Kingdom
28 Jun 2020 6:18PM

I cannot recall ever remembering anything in colour from a dream.
28 Jun 2020 9:04PM
I always dream in colour. Even now I remember dreams I had as a child which were in colour. If I were a great deal younger I would have liked to do some research into this as I suspect that the use of B&W may be affected by whether or not you dream in colour, but without research it is just a nothing. But I never use B&W in photography and only do so at the request of another person. Thank you Moira for treating the question with seriousness. Many years ago someone told me that everyone dreams in B&W, which I knew was wrong as I knew I didn't and I have wondered about this since then.
hobbo Plus
9 1.6k 3 England
29 Jun 2020 12:00AM
My dreams can be in full natural colour, they never repeat exactly, but have similar and familiar themes, I can have a full , very real dream within a few minutes of falling asleep whether in bed or in my chair....so real was one the other early hours, I cried out very loudly.... in my dream I was being held down and struck by two assailants.... a very rare dream.... perhaps a reflection on the times?

Still prefer mono photography though.

Hobbo
jacomes Plus
5 25 12 Portugal
29 Jun 2020 9:57AM
I have always dreamt in colour, tho when I was very young the colours were often strange (orange sky and blue hedges!), But I still appreciate mono photos and other arts , pencil sketches, monochromatic sculpture. I'm not really a fan of colourisation of historic/old photos, I doubt the colours are accurate anyway, leave colour to contemporary painters, possibly not accurate either!.
It is today more difficult to see in mono, b&w films and TV gave us much more exposure the art of mono imagery, as well of course the overwhelming prominence of mono photography until the mid 20th century.
So both colour and mono photography have their place, depending on the subject and the photographer's aim in producing the image.
hobbo Plus
9 1.6k 3 England
29 Jun 2020 10:27AM

Quote:I have always dreamt in colour, tho when I was very young the colours were often strange (orange sky and blue hedges!), But I still appreciate mono photos and other arts , pencil sketches, monochromatic sculpture. I'm not really a fan of colourisation of historic/old photos, I doubt the colours are accurate anyway, leave colour to contemporary painters, possibly not accurate either!.
It is today more difficult to see in mono, b&w films and TV gave us much more exposure the art of mono imagery, as well of course the overwhelming prominence of mono photography until the mid 20th century.
So both colour and mono photography have their place, depending on the subject and the photographer's aim in producing the image.

Aha! You dreamt in ...colour negative then...... did the dreams mean that you were leading a negative life....or.... that you required inverting?

Hobbo

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.