Your chance to win a Nikon Z 50 Camera Kit!

Do you post in mono?

29 Jun 2020 11:06AM
Thank you everyone for answering - from that very small number I think it can't definitively be decided one way or another.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

dark_lord Plus
16 2.6k 675 England
29 Jun 2020 11:08AM

Quote:Do you dream in Mono?

No.
Not that I remember many dreams and can never go back to any to see how they end.
29 Jun 2020 3:55PM
You may be able to when you get old (like me) as I do sometimes but they never end......
clicknimagine Plus
10 639 100 India
29 Jun 2020 7:58PM
I can't remember the name but i remember one scholar in India had submitted his research paper in human psychology...he claimed that human can't dream in colour, can you ask yourself or remember a single incident where you had a dream of a scene or an event which was in colour...

I see light and composition before taking an image and in post processing i try to convey it in a better way in mono unless the colour itself is a part of the story of a scene...
altitude50 16 18.7k United Kingdom
29 Jun 2020 8:24PM
Having recently been told that my dreams and nightmares are not influenced by the cheese I ate I am reluctant to reply.
I dream nearly every night, they are interesting, with stories, sometimes biographical.
They all have colour.
Then, perhaps I don't dream at all!
Or is it all a dream, who knows.Smile
29 Jun 2020 9:22PM
Altitude we should dream and it is probable that it is dreams that actually keep our brains ticking over properly - so much more research needs to be done on sleep and dreams but psychologists do believe that dreaming is vital to our mental health.

Dreams I remember from a child - I was born before the last world war and so the dreams I remember may well have some 'processing' due to the scenes that I witnessed and those I heard about - I was in an indoor dark passageway - the colour of that passageway was blue and there were stairs going up which I knew was the way out but they were glowing red because there was fire underneath them. I knew I was trapped but I woke up and this must have been well after the war as my father came and sat with me until I went back to sleep. I also dreamt of another fire - this time it was in my Junior school, I was in a classroom with a door which had the top half of small glass pains and the bottom was wooden. Through the door, which was painted a light green there were flames leaping up at the window panes - I don't remember any more of that dream. Many dreams I remember in the morning when I first wake but forget them fairly quickly. Many dreams are quite bizarre with figures like a stuffed scarecrow just getting bigger and bigger - rather like a giant Teddy Bear but without features. But when I do remember a dream I also remember the colours in the dream.
altitude50 16 18.7k United Kingdom
30 Jun 2020 9:48AM
I woke up at 0530 today. I had been dreaming that Tottenham Hotspur and Arsenal Football Club were playing soccer on a village pitch with one spectator - me.
Tottenham were in black & white strip, the referee was in black, the ball was grey and white but the grass was green, Arsenal's shirts were red, the goalkeeper David Seaman was in bright yellow. Tottenham had the ball and shot at the goalkeeper who held it but the ball crossed the line and the goal was given. I was clearly thinking that as it was a local pitch there was no VAR. I did not see the referees assistant at all. I think that the scorer was Clive Allen.
That is the sort of detail I get.
30 Jun 2020 11:56AM
Brilliant! I think that the clarity is only there when you first wake and then you have to deliberately remember - or it goes.
30 Jun 2020 7:06PM
Well Iím sure I dream in colour....the nutterly scenery Iím riding a motorbke through..but remembering..? Immediately on waking, I can usually remember bits of it, but thatís usually (I suspect..)...because theyíre so wierd..but it soon fades..

Tíwife however, can often recall a whole dream, naming characters involved etc..much longer afterwards..

I feel deprived.....Sad

3 Jul 2020 12:21AM
I know I am going to begin a fight with this comment. So I will make it and run. 😜

Black and white is not mono. Mono is various shades of gray. Black and white is Black and White, that is all. For me I hate just mono. It is all bland and blah. I love Black and White for its very high contrast. But, it is very hard to find a photographer who shoots well in a high contrast Black and White. More often it is done in a Black and White with all sorts of shades of mono included. That sort is more the common today, and is often referred to as either Black and White or Mono and means the same.

My first experience with 'black and white' in digital was shooting with a Canon point and shoot. All it was was a rather bland range of mono shades. The best 'black and white' I've seen a digital camera produce straight from the camera was on a Samsung which had a true black and white within its range.

To the question of what per cent I post in black and white ( by my definition of the term) I have to say 'zero' and I don't see others posting in it often either.
hobbo Plus
9 1.6k 3 England
3 Jul 2020 1:42AM

Quote:I know I am going to begin a fight with this comment. So I will make it and run. 😜

Black and white is not mono. Mono is various shades of gray. Black and white is Black and White, that is all. For me I hate just mono. It is all bland and blah. I love Black and White for its very high contrast. But, it is very hard to find a photographer who shoots well in a high contrast Black and White. More often it is done in a Black and White with all sorts of shades of mono included. That sort is more the common today, and is often referred to as either Black and White or Mono and means the same.

My first experience with 'black and white' in digital was shooting with a Canon point and shoot. All it was was a rather bland range of mono shades. The best 'black and white' I've seen a digital camera produce straight from the camera was on a Samsung which had a true black and white within its range.

To the question of what per cent I post in black and white ( by my definition of the term) I have to say 'zero' and I don't see others posting in it often either.

Very interesting and generally true.... but, search my portfolio, and you will see that I occasionally process for...Black and White.... or....Film-Noir..... high contrast and sometimes grainy.... it really works with some shots.
Mono photographs with a good selection of tones within it is also one of my aims....as are....High-Key and Low-Key...studies.

I agree with the remark about a....Bland range of greys....not good practice.

Hobbo

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.