Save 50% On Affinity Photo Today!

Does anyone wanna organise a meet at a Puffin site

VinceJones 15 862 United Kingdom
30 May 2005 2:37PM
Is this something that would interest anyone, a trip I would love to go on and share with other members.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Bernie 16 2.2k
30 May 2005 9:27PM
Don't understand why you would want to stand at the top of a hill looking at other members puffin Vince...lol

Sorry, I'll go now.
MartinjD 15 171
30 May 2005 10:41PM
Hi Vince I am probably going back to Skomer on either Thurs 23rd/Fri 24th June with another EPZ person if you are interested

Martin
31 May 2005 1:39AM
is there puffins in dorset ?
csurry 18 9.2k 92
31 May 2005 1:42AM
I definitely want to go, but time off is an issue. I am supposed to book a month in advance. So if this is definitely on I might book a couple of days off.

Cheryl
MartinjD 15 171
31 May 2005 9:12AM
OK then here's a plan then. Let me know what you think.

Me plus another EPZ'er (new member - hasn't posted yet) are going to Skomer on Thursday 23rd June.

We will get the 1000 boat so will aim to be at the pick up point in Martins Haven at 0930

Costs for guidance are as follows: Parking 2.50 (free if you are NT member), boat 8, Landing fee 7 plus your own travel costs to get there.

If anybody wants to join us then it would be great.

The only reason I won't go is if it is a really bad weather forecast - so decision to be confirmed on here the night before.

Boats come back at 1500, 1530 ,1400

You will need to carry food and water on your back as no mcdonalds, burger king or pub on the island.

Not even a tree to pee behind!!

Hope to hear from anyone interested

Martin
csurry 18 9.2k 92
31 May 2005 9:46AM
No tree!!!

I've put in a request for the time off, but as it is less than a months notice I'll not hold my breath yet.

Hopefully will be able to make, wanted to go for a long time, just not alone.

Where's Skomer???
MartinjD 15 171
31 May 2005 9:49AM
Hope you can make it would be good to see you again

Its about 15 miles west of Haverfordwest in very west Wales

Cheers
Martin
31 May 2005 10:00AM
Hi Martin.

The 23rd & the 24th of June is now booked in my diary. Maybe one day on the island & the other day pigging out at Mcdonalds. I have just found a spare tree to bring with me, would they let me on the island with it, also can I bring Kaln our Eagle Owl. lol. JOKE!

This is my first holiday for years so I hope the weathers going to be good. I will keep an eye on this thread to see how this develops.

Look forward to meeting others who wish to come along. Hope you can make it Cheryl, see ya there.

Vince
csurry 18 9.2k 92
31 May 2005 10:02AM
OK, so an overnight jobbie on the Wednesday to be sure of being in time.

Have set thread to update me of new posts.
MartinjD 15 171
31 May 2005 10:27AM
Vince - if you are stopping an extra day, have a look at dale sailing dot co dot uk for other trips if you are interested.

Would be great to have Kaln there - although we might not see any puffins then!!

Cheryl - it took me about three and a quarter hours from Warwick. Left at 0500 stopped for brekkie on the way and still there by 0830.

See note on my todays post re cropped image and lens etc.
agoreira 16 6.0k Wales
31 May 2005 11:43AM
"Its about 15 miles west of Haverfordwest in very west Wales"

Where exactly Martin? I'm in Pembroke, but often over that side of the water!

No, no trees, but there is a loo in the middle of the island, plus one where the boat leaves from. Just don't drink too much!

Don't bother with the eagle owl, the poor puffins have a hard time as it is from the black backed gulls. (and the shearwaters, there are dead ones everywhere) They try to snatch the eels off them as they land.
I've never attended a meet before, I maybe able to make this one. Although I could be on a course in Cardiff that week! :-( I was going over today, but as the kids are off school, I thought it might be quieter next week.
Frank
31 May 2005 11:47AM
I was only joking Frank lol. I know many seabirds have difficult times protecting themselves & their eggs & young. Living together like they do can be very harsh.

Just looked at the web site Martin you pointed me to, so much to do and only 2 days to do it in. Best get another 64mb card lol

Can't wait

Vince
agoreira 16 6.0k Wales
31 May 2005 11:52AM
"I was only joking Frank lol."

So was I! Wink

"Where exactly Martin? I'm in Pembroke, but often over that side of the water!"

Ignore that Martin, I read your thread wrongly! ;-(
Frank
agoreira 16 6.0k Wales
31 May 2005 12:02PM
Here's another good trip whilst you are in the area, Vince.
http://www.aquaphobia-ramseyisland.co.uk/Pages/ramsey-island.html

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.