Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 11 Ultimate (discount applied at checkout)

Does the vote number reflect the 'better-ness' ?

TonyCoridan 8 137 United Kingdom
12 Mar 2013 4:40PM
Hi Artists,

Does the vote number reflect the 'better-ness' on EPZ?

Is it 'beauty in the eyes of the beholder or 'friends vote for friends'; a bit like Eurovisio?

I ask this because on the other thread someone rightly advised not to think that because some photo high number of votes here meant they are better.

Therefore, don't have to necessarily use them as an example to learn from.

So, are we being honest as a community or just nice or bias?

Kindly,

Tony
digicammad 18 22.0k 40 United Kingdom
12 Mar 2013 4:42PM
You can use the votes as a general representation of either the quality of your photo or your popularity on ePz. How much information you get from that is based upon how honest you are with yourself.

The only true way to get an idea of the quality of your photo is to upload it to the critique gallery.

Ian
Pete 20 18.8k 97 England
12 Mar 2013 4:46PM
Everyone uses the site differently...mine is how the feature was intended - a honest vote. I have friends on the site. I have people I have met and like lots. There are people who's attitude I dislike, but I always vote based on the photo, nothing else.

If everyone used the site in the same way we would have no issues at all. As it happens everyone is different so we end up with a huge scale of differences. And you have to get used to that. If you can't you will be upset and either leave or become a grumpy git and stick around moaning and spoiling things.
sherlob Plus
15 3.2k 131 United Kingdom
12 Mar 2013 4:52PM

Quote:Does the vote number reflect the 'better-ness' on EPZ?

No.
MalcolmS Plus
15 1.2k 13 England
12 Mar 2013 4:53PM

Not in a good many cases, but in some cases yes, it's often fairly obvious which is which.

Quote: 'friends vote for friends'

Absolutely in a a good many cases if not all to a greater or lesser degree.

Ian is absolutely right. Just don't get uptight when you see a shot that you consider is not very good getting lots of votes when yours, which you think is pretty good, isn't getting as many as you think it should be doing.
gary_d 13 576 13 Wales
12 Mar 2013 4:55PM
I disabled voting a while ago and enjoy a comment good or bad.
Coast 13 1.6k 292 United Kingdom
12 Mar 2013 4:59PM
It's generally easy to tell when technically poor and uninspiring photos have high votes that is as a result of "friends" clicking. Where individuals give votes on a like for like basis. Generally however the majority of high voting images are because they deserve to be on technical merit and likeability.

As an individual basing feedback on your own pictures by the amount of votes they get only you know if those clicks are from your epz network or from random epz'ers who clearly like what they see. Equally there are plenty of quality images on here that get little recognition in the voting world either due to timing of posting or the subject matter doesn't grab from the thumbnail.

I see lots of poor and grubby nude/glamour pictures that seem to have a following and get lots of votes with high quality street images and portraits being passed by.

So if your pictures are up for voting on then don't read everything into the number of votes it does or doesn't attract. If you really want to get feedback on your images to learn from others views and opinions then the critique gallery is the place to go and review the comments posted as your guide to whether your photography grabs a viewer or may benefit from some improvement or other.
keithh 17 25.8k 33 Wallis And Futuna
12 Mar 2013 5:01PM
Votes dont even equal 'betterness' in my own portfolio.
iancrowson Plus
11 215 168 United Kingdom
12 Mar 2013 5:08PM
I think you can to some extent use number of votes received to judge how good your image are. First resist reciprocal voting, secondly look at who votes on your photos, if it's always the same 5/10/20/60/80 people!! you may just have a lot of friends. Or of course your images may so so good people are waiting to look at them. There are such people on the site but their photography tends to be exceptionally good.
I personally enjoy looking at photos and click on any I think are good, I also make a comment if some aspect is particularly pleasing.
keith selmes 17 7.4k 1 United Kingdom
12 Mar 2013 5:57PM

It can mean all sorts of things, but you can't assume it means that.
People vote up an image because it shows their favourite holiday destination, or it has an interesting camera in it, or because their friend took it, all sorts of reasons. They equally ignore superb work, presumably because there is nothing to draw their attention to it. It's often about the subject matter as much as anything.
Carabosse 18 41.5k 270 England
12 Mar 2013 6:06PM

Quote:'friends vote for friends'

Most yes. It is indeed like Eurovision. Smile

You can opt out of the system.
12 Mar 2013 6:10PM
Yip thats why i stopped taking photos
robthecamman 9 1.7k United Kingdom
12 Mar 2013 6:16PM
work to improve your own photos.if others like em its bonus Smile
NeilSchofield Plus
14 1.7k 1 United Kingdom
12 Mar 2013 6:36PM
In common with many on here I like my "Nil Point" images

Its great if folks vote, more so if they comment, but votes numbers tend to relate to category of shot rather than quality of image

Its really not worth worrying about, just enjoy your images
TonyCoridan 8 137 United Kingdom
12 Mar 2013 7:25PM

Quote:Yip thats why i stopped taking photos

You're not serious!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.