Does this cropped HDR work?

Eckyboy 7 51 United Kingdom
9 Jul 2020 5:07PM
210217_1594310809.jpg

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Eckyboy 7 51 United Kingdom
9 Jul 2020 5:08PM
Original

210217_1594310876.jpg
pink Plus
17 6.5k 8 United Kingdom
9 Jul 2020 5:49PM
Much prefer the original
saltireblue Plus
10 10.9k 63 Norway
9 Jul 2020 5:53PM
It's all very subjective, but the HDR effect is, for my taste, far too overdone. The original appeals a lot more.
The sign of HDR used well is that you don't notice it has been used.
Is this HDR, ie, several images combined, or is it tone mapping, which is a 'fake' HDR based on only one image?

As for the crop; again, I feel the wider view of the original works better as the river and mountain have more space in which to breathe.
chase Plus
14 1.7k 420 England
9 Jul 2020 6:07PM
It's very easy and very tempting with HDR to crank up the volume, like anything, just because the sliders reach number 10 there's no need to use it all.

Quote:The sign of HDR used well is that you don't notice it has been used.

Absolutely !
I don't really see why you would use HDR on this scene, your original is a much, much better image and I prefer the frame without the crop.
Drop a couple into the Critique Gallery, you will get some good feedback there.

9 Jul 2020 6:37PM
Yup... the original is better, the modified version (for me...) is just too....hmm....harsh, gritty and irritating....there’s nowt wrong with the original...sorry...Sad
justin c 16 5.1k 36 England
9 Jul 2020 6:50PM
I much prefer the original too.
I'm not a fan of overdone HDR at all. I think it's a useful tool to have at your disposal but I prefer to see it used with care and ideally with no evidence of it's use.
Your image doesn't look like it was really needed. Modern sensors are capable of capturing quite a wide dynamic range.
What really matters though is what you think. If you're happy with the resulting image and enjoyed applying the HDR process then that's the most important thing.
Mike_Smith Plus
13 648 1 United Kingdom
9 Jul 2020 8:37PM
The original one for me all day long
dark_lord Plus
16 2.6k 684 England
9 Jul 2020 10:13PM
Th qure crop works for me.
The ' HDR' treatment doesn't (to be honest, those effects I find awful) as the original is fine.
Though the lighting just allows a fair record to be obtained and earlier or later in the day or year would esult in a more engaging image.
LenShepherd 12 4.2k United Kingdom
10 Jul 2020 8:16AM
Trying to be supportive - the original I think can be improved with a little in post processing - but like others I consider your HDR version is way too much.
mrswoolybill Plus
13 2.2k 2248 United Kingdom
10 Jul 2020 8:55AM
Re the crop, I would prefer to see more of the rocks in the right foreground, they make 'stepping stones' towards the horizon, make it more accessible, rather than have the viewer imagine wading through open water in the middle of the foreground. The mountain does not need to be placed centrally.

The HDR processing is way overdone, it looks garish, cartoonish, and frankly rather horrid. The original is much more attractive to my eye. It could maybe do with shadows lifted a little, to improve textures in the immediate foreground. But nothing more... When HDR processing becomes the 'story', when it screams out its presence and takes over from the subject as the main thing we are looking at , that's a bad sign.

Why not tick the critique box when uploading to the gallery? Add the original as a version or modification and you will get advice.
peterjones 18 5.0k 1 United Kingdom
10 Jul 2020 11:19AM
I like your crop, bear in mind that everything else being equal the more you process an image the more any weaknesses may show just for example the halo around the massif has been exaggerated,

Your processing style is your style, if I am going to apply a wayward process on my image (as I do sometimes) Iíll put a stamp visible layer at the top of my layer stack, play merry hell with it but then adjust layer blend modes and opacity to suit.

Have fun and good luck.
Dave_Canon Plus
14 1.8k United Kingdom
10 Jul 2020 5:49PM
As far as the crop is concerned I would have cropped a little off the LHS of the original but left most or all of the rock intact on the RHS. I use HDR when needed but not like this. This is heavy tone mapping and the colours look wrong as well as oversaturated. Th only method i use for HDR now is LR which produces a 32 bit image from your multiple exposures and you edit normally. This means you can gain the advantage of the larger dynamic range without the nasty tone mapping. The colours thus look more natural. If you must use HDR software, consider oloneo which tries to correct these colour shifts in the process.

Dave
Mstphoto 12 134 1 Scotland
13 Jul 2020 8:40AM
I like the crop as I feel the foreground rocks lead the eye round to the mountain.
Not so keen on the HDR but it has brought out some nice, if overdone, details in the sky.
If you can blend this sky into the original at a lowish opacity I think you would be left with a nice image.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.