Get 50% Off Affinity Photo Today!

Dogs In Cars

KevSB 16 1.5k 5 United Kingdom
17 Jun 2013 12:46PM

Quote:Nowhere does he say they are 'taken as found' or documentary if that is what it is supposed to mean. Having read it again I have to agree. Golly, I've been corrected twice in one morning. Grin

Not corrected at all, genuine observation by you, its a very thin line what separate's all these labels we try to give them.

Each of us has a preferred style of photography, I'm a great fan of multiple images like this to illustrate a point or story rather than single images. Its quite possibly most of these images could be found wanting when judged singular. When I did Camera clubs I found the themed panel comps the most interesting also.

He could have easily have chosen dogs outside front doors (implying that's where they live)which would have just as much impact for me, which go's to show that subjects that we take for granted can come alive when put together like this.
joolsb 15 27.1k 38 Switzerland
17 Jun 2013 12:56PM
Having perused the book in my local bookshop, it's clearly stated that the images are all set up. If memory serves, he even went so far as matching dogs to particular vehicles and settings.
SlowSong Plus
12 9.3k 30 England
17 Jun 2013 1:02PM

Quote:Golly, I've been corrected twice in one morning.

Quote:Not corrected at all, genuine observation by you,

No, I didn't read the blurb properly.
My car's in for it's MOT and I've just had chimney sweeps round. And I'm a bit distracted with various things as well today. Grin

Quote:When I did Camera clubs I found the themed panel comps the most interesting

I agree. I always prefer a theme to work around myself (see, I didn't say "documentary"). Wink
lemmy 13 2.9k United Kingdom
17 Jun 2013 3:21PM
Imgine trying to do a similar exercise with cats! They resolutely glare at you while you set the picture up and then turn their backs on you the moment you put your finger to the shutter release Grin

Some of the dogs in these pics appear quite accomplished actors. When I was in the business, on the occasions we needed a dog for a shoot we'd use Animal Finders. Some of the dogs on their books could do almost anything you asked (interpreted through their owner, of course). Not only that but they thoroughly enjoyed it too.

Quote:I always prefer a theme to work around myself

I used to recommend to amateur friends who had run dry of ideas to pick up their camera with one, preferably non-zoom, lens and go out with it to a park, field, street, whatever. Pick a spot and give yourself a radius of 5 metres from that spot to make 6 pictures.

I think it has the same value as when some writers write a single word on the blank page they will start with the next day. It gives you a starting point, a loose theme that can serve to kick start the old grey matter and the eyes.
jeanie Plus
16 6.0k 6 United Kingdom
17 Jun 2013 6:59PM
Fabulous! Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.