Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Domain name help?

Centurion 16 1.2k England
3 Jan 2007 6:00PM
Im currently designing my site with sitemaker but wish to use my own domain name I bought last year.

It states I should point my 'dns a' record for my domain name to my web hosts ip address.

I have browsed around the freeola site but havent a clue what to look for?

Anyone had any experience of doing this?

Thanks in advance

Dennie 16 260 United Kingdom
3 Jan 2007 6:10PM
Hi Gav ive just had to change my Dns records to point to a different place.

Who did you buy you domain name with. ?
thats where you change DNS records.

Ive got mine with Telivo.

I signed to my account ,went to the controll panel and to DNS Management.

The isp numbers in the boxes are the company I was with already. I deleted them out and added the new companys ip number in the boxes and clicked Update DNS records and it worked. it can take about 24 hrs to take effect. If your still not sure what to do . Go to help or contact us with your Company and tell then who your with now and the ip who you want to be with and the ip and let them do it for you and ask for conformation its been done.

Hope this is of some help . Denise x
Centurion 16 1.2k England
3 Jan 2007 6:16PM
Hi Denise

Thanks for the quick reply. My domain was bought through freeola and until now they have been hosting my domain and webspace.

Ill have a look again at what you said and see how I get on.

many thanks

Centurion 16 1.2k England
3 Jan 2007 6:22PM
Right I have just been reading a post on another forum regarding the same thing. Turns out Freeola charge 12 to release dns record to another host.

So to get round this I shall simply have a linked intro from my freeola index page to other host.

This isnt brilliant for search engines but my domain runs out in June so I shall purchase it from another company when the time comes.

I hate companies that try to rob you.


Dennie 16 260 United Kingdom
3 Jan 2007 6:31PM
What a Rip off mine did'nt charge a fee .Id pay the 12 and then its done incase you have problems down the line with the searh engines not finding you.
Dump Freeola . Let us know how you get on. Denise
chrisrudland 17 156 United Kingdom
3 Jan 2007 8:49PM

This is just a standard admin charge for the DNS administration, it would have been stated in the user agreement when you signed up.

Some charge, some do not but its called a TAG TRANSFER
the company you mention has a registered Tag Name of FREEOLA which you can look up at Nominet. I have done many of these without a hitch, although sometimes the transfer may be slow, so if you are close to a Domain renewal date you could lose the name.

Any problems, you can use this organisation for dispute resolution but don't leave it to late to move as its not reasonable practise to point all your website traffic to someone else from an index page. The current host Freeola could disable your account and then no one will find your website!!

Sland 14 225 Scotland
4 Jan 2007 12:18AM
If you do not want to risk losing the domain I would recommend paying the 12 and getting a transfer sorted. It's not really that much.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.