Get 50% Off Affinity Photo Today!

Domain names

Steve_S Plus
14 183 3 United Kingdom
2 Oct 2010 12:38PM
When I set up my foliopic site I also purchased a domain name through 123-reg. I have followed the instructions to point the domain to my site but if I type in the domain name I am sent to the foliopic home page. Have I missed something? Also, I had a previous site with clikpic and a different domain name. I will not renew the site but I wanted to transfer the domain name to my new site too. Clikpic have updated the IPS Tag to 123-reg and I have updated the nameserver fields to 123-reg. I wanted to keep the old domain name because it is established with search engines etc. I think that I need to set one of the domains as a subdomain of the other so that my new website hits aren't split and lowered in the rankings. Hope this makes sense Smile How do I set everything up?
Steve
Pete Plus
19 18.8k 97 England
2 Oct 2010 12:45PM
Steve, the best thing to do is post a report on foliopic through the report system then the IT guys will look after it. Changing DNS can take up to 48 hours for it all to become synced. In the report you need to state which domain names aren't working too as I just checked your foiopic link and that's fine it goes to your site, which is looking very good Smile
Steve_S Plus
14 183 3 United Kingdom
2 Oct 2010 12:49PM
Thanks Pete......on both counts Wink
Steve
pabloisme 10 566 England
13 Oct 2010 11:12AM
some hosting site will allow only

1 to a site with a dir and link to nameserver

2 forwarded to a site ie. domain name = new-junk.co.uk goes to junk.co.uk

2a almost as a "refresh page" with junk.co.uk as the new URL IN THE BAR yeah?

2b hosted by 123 as a domain within a page like a frame looks like new-junk.co.uk in the url ALL the time!

IT will be searched as B4 (but be crippled) as you will not have all the pages LIVE at that domain.
both almost USELESS FOR SEARCH ENGINES AS new-junk.co.uk YEAH?
THAT is unless you have the opportunity to do that in the control panel of 123

COS WHAT YOU PUT IN THE META TAGS IS LOST ok? AND WONT BE FOUND

SO best LEAVE THE SITE WHERE IT IS & put a link / clik pix to go to a new site, you will save yer mata tags there and all old search stuff.....

makesense?

oh THE DNS IS ALMOST INSTANT ON MOST NAME SERVERS LIKE 123 whare you are doing it on their "forwarding" to a another / new site
lumiere 9 1
8 Nov 2010 1:52PM
Clikpic has so far told me I had to find a new host for my domain name, and didn't tell me they could just let me take charge of my account that they manage with easyspace. I am so angry at clikpic. They have been so unhelpful, I have been offline for 5 days now, my new website with creativemotiondesign is ready to go live but as clikpic keeps hold of my domain name I can't do anything.
They don' thave a phone number and are not answering emails. The support was great while I was with them, but I wish I had not bought my domain name through them.
pabloisme 10 566 England
8 Nov 2010 2:55PM
is it a .co.uk ? if so they cant withold it

just get yer new host to apply for it!

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

if you are paying 2.25 a month HOW MUCH support is it costing them!

mmmmmmmmmmm I couldnt do it for that there is no profit in it!

with a lot of aggro they probably want to walk!
collywobles 16 4.0k 10 United Kingdom
8 Nov 2010 3:56PM
I use '1&1'. Have two Domain names with no problems. Colin
Stubill 12 107 England
8 Nov 2010 4:12PM

Quote:I think that I need to set one of the domains as a subdomain of the other so that my new website hits aren't split and lowered in the rankings

I think you are right, as search engines don't like duplicated content.
If you have 2 domain names pointing to the same website content you may find your existing domain slipping down the rankings.
At least that's how I understood it.
Stu
pabloisme 10 566 England
9 Nov 2010 7:29AM
stu you are bang on!

remember:-

if its in a frame it will never be found!

but if you put the redir into a page which "STOPS" and dont redirect you can use that

not all that easy being (as we were called in them old days) a webmaster

ciao
rhousham 13 435 United Kingdom
19 Nov 2010 1:50PM

Quote:Clikpic has so far told me I had to find a new host for my domain name, and didn't tell me they could just let me take charge of my account that they manage with easyspace. I am so angry at clikpic. They have been so unhelpful, I have been offline for 5 days now, my new website with creativemotiondesign is ready to go live but as clikpic keeps hold of my domain name I can't do anything.
They don' thave a phone number and are not answering emails. The support was great while I was with them, but I wish I had not bought my domain name through them.

We have had a few reports from people with clickpic accounts who want to switch but getting your hands on the domain name account details seems like a battle which you can only just win. What happens if you just leave it surely the domain name would at some point be back up for sale and as long as you get in there then job done?
Bit annoying though,
Richard

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.